Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to overload this plug socket.

Options
  • 04-01-2020 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I have a home office and am a bit short of sockets. I have a single socket connected to a masterplug perfomance surge tower extention 10 sockets.
    Connected into it I have a laptop, two external screens, a soundbar, an led lamp, (max load .9Amp), and a couple of hard drives

The data sheet from masterplug says it is rated at 13A and the online calculator from electrical safety first indicates my monitors and laptop are typically pulling <3A. So would I be right, in general, to think I am safe enough with this setup or is there a weakpoint at the socket in the wall?

The only other large power draw I have is a variable power supply, but know not to use that while everything else is plugged in. Even in use, it is set to 12V, 20 mA (I do electronics so have breadboards and stuff)

Cheer folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Be fine.

If you're worried, you can buy a plug socket power meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

That power draw is unlikely to total 300W, (speculating 130W laptop, 44W LCD monitors).

Unless there's damage or customisations made to the extension lead, that should be no problem at all.

Though to answer the thread title
    "is it possible to overload this plug socket"
    of course. Avoid plugging a 2 Kilowatt fan heater into it.
    13A x 230V = 2990W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

ressem wrote: »
    That power draw is unlikely to total 300W, (speculating 130W laptop, 44W LCD monitors).

Unless there's damage or customisations made to the extension lead, that should be no problem at all.

Though to answer the thread title
    "is it possible to overload this plug socket"
    of course. Avoid plugging a 2 Kilowatt fan heater into it.
    13A x 230V = 2990W

Thanks lads. I am actually doing electronic engineering so know a BIT about this stuff. Wasn't sure about the socket in the wall though. I know big stuff with motors will cause a huge load, but not the small stuff I have. The power supply, which is rarely used, produces upto 30v 3A, so would be weary of that. I have just bought a soundbar and its on regularly, unsure of the draw on that, I like it loud.

Mainly just looking for confirmation of what I thought I knew, am still a bit green on this side of the subject.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The power supply, which is rarely used, produces upto 30v 3A, so would be weary of that.

That is only 90W so will only draw around 0.4 amps at mains voltage (230V), so a very small load.

I have just bought a soundbar and its on regularly, unsure of the draw on that, I like it loud.

Typically a very small load at any volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Every device will have an input rating showing the max current it will draw at 230V.

Just add all these up and hope it's under 13. Even then, that's worst case, so you'll probably be fine.

Your 30V 3A PSU will probably draw no more than 0.4A from the wall socket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement