Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home insulation

• 04-01-2020 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks a little advice needed, so we refurbed a bungalow (on a limited budget) re wire we knew about but a surprise replumb/new heating system soaked up our budget, we're going to re-insulate the attic area to improve heat retention (there's a spray paper insulation already there) but do we insulate the attic floor with rockwoll or boards or would we be better spray foaming the underside of the roof (we don't have any intention of converting this area) any advice re performance or price would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Keep your insulation in one plane i.e. on the flat. Insulating between the sloped rafters is a waste of money.
    Sounds like you already have cellulose insulation. What thickness? This can be topped up.

Now more importantly, how's your airtightness?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kopvill

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Keep your insulation in one plane i.e. on the flat. Insulating between the sloped rafters is a waste of money.
    Sounds like you already have cellulose insulation. What thickness? This can be topped up.

Now more importantly, how's your airtightness?

Hi thanks for the reply, it's quite an old house, so it's not air tight at all, the insulation is very messy and is 100mm thick it was recommended to brig it up to 350mm but before we did I wondered if the spray foam would be money better spent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

kopvill wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply, it's quite an old house, so it's not air tight at all, the insulation is very messy and is 100mm thick it was recommended to brig it up to 350mm but before we did I wondered if the spray foam would be money better spent...

Forget the spray foam.

Make sure that there are no gaps in the 100mm insulation. There is no point in upgrading this if air tightness isn't tackled first.

If "not airtight at all" then what you spend on making it more airtight will give you the best bang for buck by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭monseiur

Fit 150mm (6'') insulation over existing between joists and fit another 150mm the opposite direction over to give a total of 300mm, ensure not to cover vents at eaves etc. Before proceeding with this work check with SAEI - you may qualify for a grant for this and other related work you already have done or plan to carry out.
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KramII

We had so-called experts double the insulation in our attic space. They covered the eave vents and when I looked into the space above the insulation on a cold day it was dripping all over like rain. We had a builder add some high roof vents that cured the problem. I hope this was enough. Should we clear the vents under the eaves?

• Advertisement
Advertisement