Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subject Access Request

• 04-01-2020 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

A person contacts an organization and makes a request for personal data. There is no response. The person sends a follow up letter after the correct time and there is still no response. The person then correctly makes the request through the DPC and receives an acknowledgement and a reference number.Will the DPC follow through with the valid request and how long should it take, on average. Maybe someone has some experience of this. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    A person contacts an organization and makes a request for personal data. There is no response. The person sends a follow up letter after the correct time and there is still no response. The person then correctly makes the request through the DPC and receives an acknowledgement and a reference number.Will the DPC follow through with the valid request and how long should it take, on average. Maybe someone has some experience of this. Thanks.
    You dont 'make the request through DPC' . You complain to DPC that your request was not complied with. Getting a ref number and acknowledgement means your complaint is being looked at. The period of time for DPC to respond is on the acknowledgement i think?. How to make the request and what to if not happy with response is on DPC site

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

Although the complaint sounds valid I wouldn't be confident it'd be formally upheld.

What is more likely in my view is that the offending organisation will belatedly comply with the access request and then the complaint will be set aside by the DPC as resolved, although I don't think the complaint would be formally upheld.

I think you will get access to your data but you won't get anything for the fact that your rights were denied to you for a period.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Thank you for the replies What I am trying to find out is what's the next step if you have gone through the correct channels as outlined on the DPC website, have received an acknowledgement and a reference number and yet there is no further feedback from the agency several months later. There is no animosity involved, just an attempt to resolve an issue It states on the official website that they contact the organisation and make an amicable approach on the person's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Thank you for the replies What I am trying to find out is what's the next step if you have gone through the correct channels as outlined on the DPC website, have received an acknowledgement and a reference number and yet there is no further feedback from the agency several months later. There is no animosity involved, just an attempt to resolve an issue It states on the official website that they contact the organisation and make an amicable approach on the person's behalf.

Contact the organisation where your data is held again and advise that a complaint has been lodged with the DPC, quoting the reference number also.

Do it via registered post, if you can. I handled these requests in my previous job and a registered letter always caught attention more so over those that weren't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

It seems likely that your complaint has slipped through the cracks.

I don't think the DPC would intentionally ignore you after having accepted your complaint and after issuing a reference number.

If you contact them again the complaint will likely get going again.

I don't think it's good enough however. You were entitled by law to your data, and to your data protection rights, many months ago and you shouldn't have to wait. I believe there will be no consequences for the offending company and I think that's wrong.

You have suffered consequences from their failure and I don't think they will, that's not fair. You didn't ask for your rights to be denied to you.

• Advertisement

Contact the DPC again. Ask for an update

It seems likely that your complaint has slipped through the cracks.

I don't think the DPC would intentionally ignore you after having accepted your complaint and after issuing a reference number.

If you contact them again the complaint will likely get going again.

I don't think it's good enough however. You were entitled by law to your data, and to your data protection rights, many months ago and you shouldn't have to wait. I believe there will be no consequences for the offending company and I think that's wrong.

You have suffered consequences from their failure and I don't think they will, that's not fair. You didn't ask for your rights to be denied to you.
    DPC are a bit sloppy .OP make a complaion to the DPC about the DPC handling of it. Its on the DPC site how to. In relation to consequences i thought it had changed

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Garibaldi?

It is four months since I first placed a case before the DPC by email and was issued a issued a reference number, also by email During the past month I have made a number of phone calls to the office requesting an update and asking if my application was in order. Each time I have been told that it was and various people will get back to me and have been given their Christian names. I have sent two more emails. I have made it clear that I just need to know if there is any progress at all in the situation. I have received no response at all. The request is is a very simple one. I find the situation very strange indeed. I thought that this service was in operation to help people who want to want to reassure themselves about their data in an amicable and acceptable way by going through an officialprocedure. If the DPC are not about to engage with me I feel that I should be told that. It makes a person even more concerned that they have committed themselves by making this request, divulged some details which would normally be confidential. only to be faced by a strange lack of progress in the matter. I wonder has this happened to anybody else and what I should do now. There is no point in making the request from the the original source, a past employer, as emails and registered letters have been totally ignored.

Advertisement