Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Eddie gets a lot of stick on here but he might be shrewd enough. He's in my area and have heard good reports from his clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The woman who is mad into Coke is great craic really like her.
    In fairness they are a good bunch this year you kind of want them all to do well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Happy4all wrote: »
    Shane's Dad is a bit of a dinosaur, telling the woman to make him a cup of tea

I thought I was hearing things. Shane needs to distance himself from that negative person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

valoren wrote: »
    His Dad is, to put it mildly, a belittling prick. If you don't eat your vegetables you gain weight? Yeah, says the fcuking Adonis demanding a cup of tea. You don't need Eddie Murphy to suss where the problem is there. I'm guessing a sensitive Shane could never measure up.

His ould lad has more hair tan him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Delighted for Shane to see the support he has from the community. I really hope that things improve for him. He has been through a lot. All that stuff with catheters as a young lad going to school cannot have been easy.

Spot on.
    Nowadays, counselling would be available to all children with a life changing diagnosis, back then, I doubt it was as readily available.

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    His ould lad has more hair tan him.
    More hair and a lot fecking fatter to be so harsh on his own son

Are you bleeding?!

Oh God TMI

Like Tanya. Comes across as a lovely, gentle person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

What a way to ask the girl if she had her period on national tv

“ are you bleeding this week “

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

gmisk wrote: »
    The woman who is mad into Coke is great craic really like her.
    In fairness they are a good bunch this year you kind of want them all to do well.

They are. I like all of them, and want things to go well for them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭caviardreams

gmisk wrote: »
    Are you bleeding?!

Oh God TMI

"engorged" - I don't think I have ever heard anyone use that word before! :eek::eek::eek:

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Like Tanya. Comes across as a lovely, gentle person.

Yes. And her children are lovely.
    The little fellow doing the exercises with her over the last few weeks - adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

They are. I like all of them, and want things to go well for them all.

So would I but in fortunately operation transformation has a very bad track record at helping contestants reach their goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭robinbird

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So would I but in fortunately operation transformation has a very bad track record at helping contestants reach their goal.

I would go further. There are fat people that lose the weight and keep it off.
    So it very clearly is possible and achievable.
    Operation Transformation contestants on the other hand are nearly doomed to failure because of their participation in the show and the process.
    The inability to produce even one thin former contestant after ten years of Dr Eddies psychobabble, Trainer Karls fitness and exercise advice and all the nutrition advice is a damning indictment of the show. And they don't even choose the morbidly obese. To keep it "relatable" they have been selecting victims that are only a bit overweight for the last few years. And yet they can't show a single thin former contestant. The five success stories they unveiled at the beginning of the series were all clearly still overweight. Even Jerry Ryan and Dr Eddie were thin before their association with OT. And for those that say the show is not all about the weight, just one word. LYCRA.

Has to be hugely embarrassing for them.

They are doing more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How do you know there aren't thin former contestants?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

robinbird wrote: »
    I think it maybe has. Not much workplace chatter either about it any more.
    I think that it has been largely discredited. It's most popular feature.
    The weight ins of fat people in too tight lycra was lifted directly from the Biggest Loser as was the fat shaming and humiliation of contestants by experts.
    The exposure of that show as a cynical and deeply manipulative exercise has hurt its irish counterpart.. The spoof psychology of Dr Eddie is also wearing thin.
    This is a nasty cynical show and the sham that it is doing good or helping people is wearing thin so people are turning away from it.
    In ten years with perhaps 60 contestants I don't think they have managed to produce one single person that has managed to stay thin.
    The five previous contestants they showcased on the first episode were clearly all overweight. And Both Karl and Dr Eddie could do with losing a few pounds themselves.

Yeah the show definitely doesnt seem as popular as it was. I read an interview with Kathryn Thomas saying on the topic of the lycra and she just dismissed it and said the show helps loads of people get active and out walking, which in fairness it does. But thats beside the point, those people would still get out walking anyway, its not the lycra that makes them do it.

Otherwise Shouting Thomas' routine at the scales has gotten really tired and dated at this stage
    "This week you've lost FOUR POUNDS!!!"
    "Wooooooo!!!"
    *Followed by patronising hug*
    Every.Single. Time

robinbird wrote: »
    I would go further. There are fat people that lose the weight and keep it off.
    So it very clearly is possible and achievable.
    Operation Transformation contestants on the other hand are nearly doomed to failure because of their participation in the show and the process.
    The inability to produce even one thin former contestant after ten years of Dr Eddies psychobabble, Trainer Karls fitness and exercise advice and all the nutrition advice is a damning indictment of the show. And they don't even choose the morbidly obese. To keep it "relatable" they have been selecting victims that are only a bit overweight for the last few years. And yet they can't show a single thin former contestant. The five success stories they unveiled at the beginning of the series were all clearly still overweight. Even Jerry Ryan and Dr Eddie were thin before their association with OT. And for those that say the show is not all about the weight, just one word. LYCRA.

Has to be hugely embarrassing for them.

They are doing more harm than good.

Maybe they can't produce success stories back to 2008 as they pick the wrong people? Just a thought. A lot of people that need mental issues sorted first. The message of diet and exercise the show provides... what's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Has it crossed anyone's mind that the lad Shane's issues could be stemmed from the fact hes living a lie? If you know what I mean and having a dad like that compounds my suspicions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Has it crossed anyone's mind that the lad Shane's issues could be stemmed from the fact hes living a lie? If you know what I mean and having a dad like that compounds my suspicions

If that is the case then national tv or an internet forum aren't the places for it to be played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

harr wrote: »
    I would like to see this ... maybe a catch up show before the new season starts. Also agree that January is the wrong month. Around near me nothing but people pounding the roads in hi-viz vests and roads will be empty come February and it’s the same people every year. I know one man a work colleague of a friend who was in it a few years back and he is bigger than ever once the show was over he was completely left to his own devices.

They're not really left to their own devices though. They have more than enough learned about food quality and food quantity and incorporating exercise to carry it on.

I get that the accountability makes a difference for some but using the absence of it as an excuse is a poor one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Biscuits Brown

Minime2.5 wrote: »

100% agree and it explains some of his behaviour (working so hard to keep him away from husband ‘obligations ‘ ... also gives him an excuse to be always ‘tired’.). Then of course he seeks comfort in food to replace the physical pleasure a couple should be regularly having.

He also seems chronically depressed. I think in his case, the weight is a symptom of his real issues.

Just my opinion of course.

I feel sorry for him but he did put himself and his family on national tv so people are of course going to wonder and comment about what they are seeing, that is the point of telly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Otherwise Shouting Thomas' routine at the scales has gotten really tired and dated at this stage
    "This week you've lost FOUR POUNDS!!!"
    "Wooooooo!!!"
    *Followed by patronising hug*
    Every.Single. Time[/QUOTE]

Agree, it's so fake. I suspect when the camera stops rolling, the smile is gone and it's off to a bath of disinfection to get the sweat off from the "fat" bodies she had to touch after the weigh ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cbb1982

100% agree and it explains some of his behaviour (working so hard to keep him away from husband ‘obligations ‘ ... also gives him an excuse to be always ‘tired’.). Then of course he seeks comfort in food to replace the physical pleasure a couple should be regularly having.

He also seems chronically depressed. I think in his case, the weight is a symptom I of his real issues.

Just my opinion of course.

I feel sorry for him but he did put himself and his family on national tv so people are of course going to wonder and comment about what they are seeing, that is the point of telly...

It had crossed my mind but who knows... hope it all works out well for him & his beautiful wife & children

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

I think the premise of the show is great in that it's not a competition or anything but why does it always have to have some struggle or misery?

I really find the nutritionist one useless too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Shane comes across as an overgrown child. Very child like tendancies and mannerisms.

He is a primary school teacher. It's something most primary teachers are like.

It's because they go from school to college to teaching kids without any real life experience.

Real life is cut throat. Being surrounded by kids bossing them around leads them to think real life is like that so they live their life in a classroom. I see primary teachers throw hissy fits and almost stomp their feet when a takeaway doesn't have any chicken balls left. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭robinbird

He is a primary school teacher. It's something most primary teachers are like.

I can tell a primary teacher before I am told that they are one.
    They behave differently than normal people.
    Its like they are children themselves. They say things like sugar instead of ****, they are unbelievably pc in the things they find inappropriate and they are very bossy.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

I know 2 people who were on it one had gastric bypass last year other regained all weight plus

Leilak wrote: »
    I know 2 people who were on it one had gastric bypass last year other regained all weight plus

Not asking who they were but roughly how many years since they were on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

That one Aoife the nutritionist hasnt a clue what shes talking about in terms losing/gaining muscle. Most of these people are massively over weight and dont have any risk of losing muscle and in terms of gaining muscle she seems to think you can recomp with lean muscle as fast as they lose weight. Alot of the bigger ones are dumping excess water and the show isnt long enough for them to get lean enough to have any risk of muscle loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Operation shame the nation has taken a dive further into cesspit tv. I can’t believe the way they questioned the women about their periods tonight, absolutely no dignity left to those women. They may as well just strip them down and parade them naked for us all to see if they are “ bleeding”. Horrendous, I’m really disgusted with this trash can of a program.

Advertisement