Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

screamer wrote: »
    Operation shame the nation has taken a dive further into cesspit tv. I can’t believe the way they questioned the women about their periods tonight, absolutely no dignity left to those women. They may as well just strip them down and parade them naked for us all to see if they are “ bleeding”. Horrendous, I’m really disgusted with this trash can of a program.

I haven't watched it but periods can make a woman's weight fluctuate madly, so would easily make sense to ask about in a weight loss scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I want Barry to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cjbh

I think the premise of the show is great in that it's not a competition or anything but why does it always have to have some struggle or misery?

I really find the nutritionist one useless too.

Typical reality show 'drama'.
    They always cast people who cry easily instead of finding people who are super motivated to lose weight and just get stuck in.

Too much crying and sob stories for me, sorry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

cjbh wrote: »
    Typical reality show 'drama'.
    They always cast people who cry easily instead of finding people who are super motivated to lose weight and just get stuck in.

Too much crying and sob stories for me, sorry

Yeah even the judges always have to say something negative.

You're not exercising enough! You're exercising too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I haven't watched it but periods can make a woman's weight fluctuate madly, so would easily make sense to ask about in a weight loss scenario.

Absolutely and I see it myself with my own weight. It can vary how periods impact a woman's weight eg bloating, increased appetite, emotions, fatigue, pain etc.
    The show IMO has gone about it wrong. The show should already have made note of the participating women's cycles. If someone hasn't made as much of a weight loss as expected in one week - that's when you chip in and say it might be perhaps down to something connected with a period and speak about it in a matter of fact way. But to ask outright are you on your period - or in the way the doctors phrased it - are you bleeding - is not the way to go about it. The show should be educating people (in this case women) that your period can and does have an effect on weight loss- not putting women on the spot asking them are they on the rag (a crude term IMO but not far off what the doctor asked them on national tv).

• Advertisement

I only got to watch the show over the weekend.

It really jumped out at me this series how some of the leaders' parents speak about and to them.

I seen a few weeks ago with Andrea how her mother spoke about her. And again in last week's episode speaking about her eating habits and appetite when she was younger.

But I was really shocked at how Shane's dad treated him on camera. Very much belittled him. You could even see it in the way Shane was sitting at the table, almost cowering. He tried to stand up to his father by saying he would be out running (or whatever it was at the sports ground) but his dad just knocked him down. Very uncomfortable viewing but I felt it explained some of Shane's behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Are you menstruating would have been fine. “Are you bleeding” was crass and done in order to induce embarrassment. The show could be more informative with things like that and do features on period bloat and the desire to eat more, low mood affecting your drive to lose weight etc.
    There’s nothing wrong with asking the question but the way it was asked was like how a 90s school teacher would ask if you told her you had a tummy pain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I only got to watch the show over the weekend.

It really jumped out at me this series how some of the leaders' parents speak about and to them.

I seen a few weeks ago with Andrea how her mother spoke about her. And again in last week's episode speaking about her eating habits and appetite when she was younger.

But I was really shocked at how Shane's dad treated him on camera. Very much belittled him. You could even see it in the way Shane was sitting at the table, almost cowering. He tried to stand up to his father by saying he would be out running (or whatever it was at the sports ground) but his dad just knocked him down. Very uncomfortable viewing but I felt it explained some of Shane's behaviour.

Agreed.

Andrea's mother still saw nothing wrong with what she had said, and indeed Andrea defended her. I winced at the time, when that clip was shown with the mother speaking about the wedding dress.

I agree that was extremely uncomfortable viewing - Shane's dad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cup of tea there Maureen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

He is a primary school teacher. It's something most primary teachers are like.

It's because they go from school to college to teaching kids without any real life experience.

Real life is cut throat. Being surrounded by kids bossing them around leads them to think real life is like that so they live their life in a classroom. I see primary teachers throw hissy fits and almost stomp their feet when a takeaway doesn't have any chicken balls left. lol

Just shows that you are talking rubbish and probably don't even watch the show
    He is a secondary teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The father was absolutely odious. Sitting there lecturing Shane on why he has or hasn’t lost weight as he stuffs his face himself and orders his wife about the kitchen. It was so uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cbb1982

Agreed.

Andrea's mother still saw nothing wrong with what she had said, and indeed Andrea defended her. I winced at the time, when that clip was shown with the mother speaking about the wedding dress.

Shane’s Dad was an ass and demanding the tea I would have poured it over his head!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭mojesius

They should put Shane's dad on the show next year and see how he fares with the lycra and the weekly emotional beat-downs.

Does he think he is Brad Pitt? Big belly on him, porker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The father was absolutely odious. Sitting there lecturing Shane on why he has or hasn’t lost weight as he stuffs his face himself and orders his wife about the kitchen. It was so uncomfortable.

I'd say Shane's teenage years were a nightmare.

A boy not interested in sport that has a love for drama landed with a dad like that. God love him!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'd say Shane's teenage years were a nightmare.

A boy not interested in sport that has a love for drama landed with a dad like that. God love him!!!

For sure.

Plus the medical issues he encountered. He definitely has not had an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

For sure.

Plus the medical issues he encountered. He definitely has not had an easy life.

Oh I meant to add that too but got distracted!

Definitely!

His dad probably blamed shane for getting sick, as if he did it on purpose or another sign of weakness.

His dad is a total bully.. (from what we were shown anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Eddie has definitely sussed out how negative Shane's father is towards him when he advised Shane to surround himself with those who support him.

Shane should distance himself from his morbidly obese toxic father and lose 25 stone in one go.

Clear not many people in this thread know rural Ireland. It would be common for the wife to make tea, cook dinner etc.

It would be very common for the man to be out working all day and bringing home the bacon. Probably the house is paid for by himself. It's all about give and take.

The auld lad was out running and walking with him so it's clear he supports him. Plus he might have a point about the vegetables when Shane won't eat the majority of foods because of things like texture. Not liking a pepper because of the crunch ffs. Reminds me of a lad I know who'll just eat the same foods all week like chips and pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Biscuits Brown

Shane’s Dad seems to have made a big impact this week.
    I hope we see more of him on Wednesday so we can get a clearer picture of him and Shane’s background.

They brought back Andrea’s mother to explain herself after she made that critical comment, so I think they will do the same for Shane’s Dad.

Shane's ole lad seems a bit of a pr1ck towards Shane but Shane is the lad who comes across like a big fooking child that can only eat chips and toast.
    Ole lad is likely a pr1ck but Shane wouldn't bring the best out in a chap either.

Shane chooses two jobs and 60+ hour weeks over spending time with his family for whatever reason, financial or otherwise. If it's financial the cash is going on a big house and a car much bigger than a teacher's salary would provide.

• Advertisement

Clear not many people in this thread know rural Ireland. It would be common for the wife to make tea, cook dinner etc.

It would be very common for the man to be out working all day and bringing home the bacon. Probably the house is paid for by himself. It's all about give and take................

Yeah, are all men in rural Ireland ignorant ole pr1cks that can barely speak?
    House probably inherited along with the farm btw or built on Daddies land. Bringing home the bacon me arse, pr1cking about and claiming whatever subsidy is going to keep the loss making hobby going :pac:

Augeo wrote: »
    Yeah, are all men in rural Ireland ignorant ole pr1cks that can barely speak?
    House probably inherited along with the farm btw or built on Daddies land. Bringing home the bacon me arse, pr1cking about and claiming whatever subsidy is going to keep the loss making hobby going :pac:

Again, you've never been to rural Ireland I take it.

I would be hard pressed to walk around my village and find a man over 50 who actually cooks dinner.

And yeah, the house is probably inherited - still the woman gains from that.

Are you going to assume the mother is not happy with the treatment? Why couldn't be divorce him?

Are you going to assume the mother is not happy with the treatment? Why couldn't be divorce him?

I'm not making any assumptions.
    Shane's ole lad comes across like an ignorant ole pr1ck that can barely speak, she did marry him so she might be in to that.
    Ladies in rural Ireland wouldn't be spoiled for choice decades ago if they hung around the area.
    Again, you've never been to rural Ireland I take it............

I live in rural Ireland btw but thankfully Grafton Street is but 35 mins away outside of rush hour times so I'm not in the rural Ireland where much savages thrive.

It would be very common for the man to be out working all day and bringing home the bacon. Probably the house is paid for by himself. It's all about give and take.

I'm from rural Ireland. My Dad is in his 60's and my father in law in his 70's. Both men worked full time while the wives reared the children, ran the household, and fed us all. Neither man would speak to their wife the way Shane's dad spoke to his on the tv. In fact my father in law used to bring a cuppa tea down to his wife in bed in the mornings before he left early for work so that she could have it in peace before she got up to the kids.

I'm from rural Ireland. My Dad is in his 60's and my father in law in his 70's. Both men worked full time while the wives reared the children, ran the household, and fed us all. Neither man would speak to their wife the way Shane's dad spoke to his on the tv. In fact my father in law used to bring a cuppa tea down to his wife in bed in the mornings before he left early for work so that she could have it in peace before she got up to the kids.

All he said was "cuppa tea there Josephine". I think she was at the counter top anyways.

Think ye'r completely overblowing it.

Shane does need to grow up. He didn't say a word back to his auld lad when he said he wouldn't keep it up after the show. He could have said "well I'm going to give it my best shot" or "I bet you 100 euro I'll be at it still".

......... Neither man would speak to their wife the way Shane's dad spoke to his on the tv. ........

Two gents, I love people seeing the male role models in the family being as such.

Shane does need to grow up. He didn't say a word back to his auld lad when he said he wouldn't keep it up after the show. He could have said "well I'm going to give it my best shot" or "I bet you 100 euro I'll be at it still".

Shane probably has no confidence in himself that he'll keep at it.
    Loads of previous leaders are still fat as fook and in woeful condition. Operation Transformation is really for hopeless cases so the longterm success rate isn't great.

Augeo wrote: »
    Shane probably has no confidence in himself that he'll keep at it.
    Loads of previous leaders are still fat as fook and in woeful condition. Operation Transformation is really for hopeless cases so the longterm success rate isn't great.

Where can I find some previous leaders?

Surprising really...I think it's a great chance to make some money. Get a blog or insta going and you'll get 4 or 5k followers from the show for definite, then you can grow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cbb1982

Surprising really...I think it's a great chance to make some money. Get a blog or insta going and you'll get 4 or 5k followers from the show for definite, then you can grow it.

David Cryan kept the weight off!

• Advertisement

Killian Byrne is one. He got into the running and got his family in on it too. He write a column for the Irish Runner magazine.
    Also David Cryan, I think he got involved in parkrun.

I don't think it's the type of reality show where you would make money after with a sponsorship deal, nor are the participants the type looking for fame. I think the vast majority of participants have faded into the background after.

Advertisement