Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthing a light fitting

Options
  • 04-01-2020 11:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

I have two light fittings in my kitchen (both basic, plastic pendants - both running off the one switch).

The lighting in my kitchen is crap so I had hoped to replace them - including putting a bar with multiple lights on one... but when I had a look at the wiring I discovered that there’s no earth going to either.

That kind of ruins my idea of putting better fittings in so I’m trying to figure if there’s a simple/clean way to run an earth or whether I’m looking at having to cut into ceilings or walls to get it done.

Obviously there are sockets in the kitchen too (which are hopefully earthed!) so there isn’t too far to go to find an earth... it’s just getting from A to B that I’m unsure of.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Look for double insulated fitting s, no earth required

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fit down lighters such as GU10....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

kramer1 wrote: »
    Look for double insulated fitting s, no earth required

Of course! Thanks

Fit down lighters such as GU10....

I’d have to do a lot of work to put down lights in the right places to suit the kitchen and to be honest any work I’m doing now is a medium-term fix before I either completely renovate or move.

Also as a minor factor, I’m hoping to put smart bulbs in and the GU10s I’ve seen are outrageously expensive compared to the E27s or E14s

flogen wrote: »
    I’d have to do a lot of work to put down lights in the right places to suit the kitchen and to be honest any work I’m doing now is a medium-term fix before I either completely renovate or move.

Also as a minor factor, I’m hoping to put smart bulbs in and the GU10s I’ve seen are outrageously expensive compared to the E27s or E14s

Indeed but IKEA do them too.

Philips I have everywhere but only bought when on best deals...

Sill expensive though.

• Advertisement

Indeed but IKEA do them too.

Philips I have everywhere but only bought when on best deals...

Sill expensive though.

True. Have some Hues already and would like to keep them all the same but it’s really just a case of finding space for an extra hub next to the router. Shame Ikea have no colour option too but in reality I wouldn’t use that too often

flogen wrote: »
    True. Have some Hues already and would like to keep them all the same but it’s really just a case of finding space for an extra hub next to the router. Shame Ikea have no colour option too but in reality I wouldn’t use that too often

IKEA ones work off the hue.

No need for another hub. Now they ain't meant to be anywhere near as good but ok.

IKEA ones work off the hue.

No need for another hub. Now they ain't meant to be anywhere near as good but ok.

Oh, that’s good to know. Save me a few quid - and more importantly the headache of trying to find another socket

Advertisement