Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Night Life

Options
  • 05-01-2020 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I am planning a weekend in Cork soon and wondering if anyone has some good suffestions for a late bar with live music that would be good for a large group? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

kearnst2 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning a weekend in Cork soon and wondering if anyone has some good suffestions for a late bar with live music that would be good for a large group? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Riordan's if it's a big group is fantastic. Be worth ringing and booking a few tables!

There's a nightclub upstairs that's absolute muck but it's there if people want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Crane lane or Oliver Plunkett would be my suggestions Oliver Plunkett usually has live music most nights but you'd probably have to ring ahead and reserve some tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

High pitched whinging and chips on shoulders is all you will get in Ireland’s second city

Limerick is a better bet

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Moving from AH, better local knowledge here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    Riordan's if it's a big group is fantastic. Be worth ringing and booking a few tables!

There's a nightclub upstairs that's absolute muck but it's there if people want it!

Apart from the fact that the bouncers will be on a serious power trip and probably refuse one person in the group for being too drunk, wrong clothing or just for the good old, "not tonight bud".
    I wouldn't recommend it to anyone coming in a group bigger than 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

High pitched whinging and chips on shoulders is all you will get in Ireland’s second city

Limerick is a better bet

you're not wrong there, myself and a few friends had a great night out in Limerick over the Christmas. Hit some great pubs, friendly locals and ended up in 101 until closing, all bouncers and staff were very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Attracts an awful clientele. Kip.
    No wonder they need the bouncers with the dirtbirds that frequent the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Cork has far more to offer than Riordan's. It's full of eejits catching each other in headlocks "having a laugh"....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Cork has far more to offer than Riordan's. It's full of eejits catching each other in headlocks "having a laugh"....
    Or camogie players breaking jaws 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kearnst2

Thanks for the reccomendations. I shoudl add the age of the group is mid 30's on a stag but not a messy bunch. In essence we would be looking for a somewhere with a late bar and live music mainly. Would reordans be a bit younger aged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

O Dwyers, Crane lane, elbow lane, deep South, Edison, Mutton lane you can't go wring really

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thanks for the reccomendations. I shoudl add the age of the group is mid 30's on a stag but not a messy bunch. In essence we would be looking for a somewhere with a late bar and live music mainly. Would reordans be a bit younger aged?

Oliver Plunkett be best bet. Reardons would have a wide range in age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

How many nightclubs are left in Cork? Mid 90s must have been at least 15 including the famous one. Now would there be 5? Infairaness there dying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    How many nightclubs are left in Cork? Mid 90s must have been at least 15 including the famous one. Now would there be 5? Infairaness there dying anyway.

Havanas/The Secret Garden, The Bowery/Tip-Top & The Voodoo Rooms. That's it I think, so 3?

Late bars seem to have taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Coughlan's is good for live music, not a late bar though.

Rearden's is for students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Havanas/The Secret Garden, The Bowery/Tip-Top & The Voodoo Rooms. That's it I think, so 3?

Well that's lucky as the OP is looking for a bar. :)

You're spoilt for choice... Mutton lane inn, Crane Lane, Soho Suas roof bar, sober lane, Old oak, oliver plunkett. The Brog. Is the Raven open late?

I'd maybe pick a street rather than a pub.
    North main street, oliver plunkett street, washington street, barracks street, mccurtain street. Each of those would have a good bunch of decent pubs on them, you won't get bored. There are LOADs of brilliant pubs in Cork. The roundy, tom barrys, fionbarra god there must be 50 at least.

What kind of gang are these lads? There are fancier trendy places too like Cask, Bar Pigalle etc. And arty drama crowd places like Maureens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Coughlan's is good for live music, not a late bar though.

Rearden's is for students.

Students and fake id jailbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Late bar with live music would make an apt description of the Crane Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    . And arty drama crowd places like Maureens.

I don't think a stag party will be getting served in Maureen's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Guards and nurses. Avoid if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

2 fast wrote: »
    O Dwyers, Crane lane, elbow lane, deep South, Edison, Mutton lane you can't go wring really

???

That's not even a bar, never mind a late bar, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I go to Reardens quite regularly, I’m neither a guard nor a nurse and I’m in my late 20’s so not exactly young either. Can’t say I’ve ever had a bad night in there, it seems to be fashionable to hate on it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I go to Reardens quite regularly, I’m neither a guard nor a nurse and I’m in my late 20’s so not exactly young either. Can’t say I’ve ever had a bad night in there, it seems to be fashionable to hate on it these days.

It was always fashionable to hate Rearden's.
    It has always been seen as a GAA Jersey wearing cattle market with arsehole bouncers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

And Dali.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Late bar with live music for mid 30yr olds??...either Oliver Plunkett or Crane Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrpdap

I don't think a stag party will be getting served in Maureen's.

A small stag party would get served. Very small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Soho is late as well I think but it's a very yuppie crowd. There are very few cool places left to go to go... BDSM and the Vicarstown are alright but I don't like giving money to Benny, especially not with the prices in there.

If it's a Stag I'd say book a table in the Plunkett, you have the Old Oak beside you if that's not doing it for you and the Crane Lane is behind on the road opposite.
    .red. wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that the bouncers will be on a serious power trip and probably refuse one person in the group for being too drunk, wrong clothing or just for the good old, "not tonight bud".
    Nobody says bud in Cork, you're thinking of that other county everyone is always talking about.

Oh no.

That's like the Coppers of Cork, why would you recommend it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That's like the Coppers of Cork, why would you recommend it!!

I think that's a good way of describing Rearden's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

We have our work christmas party in Reardan's every year and have always had a good time. *shrugs*

• Advertisement

Soho is late as well I think but it's a very yuppie crowd. .......

A yuppie crowd in Soho? :pac:
    It's not quite Café En Seine :D

Advertisement