Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Night Life

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I go to Reardens quite regularly, I’m neither a guard nor a nurse and I’m in my late 20’s so not exactly young either. Can’t say I’ve ever had a bad night in there, it seems to be fashionable to hate on it these days.
    I think some of the advise about Reardons is 10 years old, from people who haven’t gone there in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I think some of the advise about Reardons is 10 years old, from people who haven’t gone there in a long time.

:)

I haven't had a good night out in Cubans or Mangans in years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

who_me wrote: »
    :)

I haven't had a good night out in Cubans or Mangans in years...

I miss Spiders ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

whatever76 wrote: »
    I miss Spiders ! :p

I still miss Henry's. I wasn't a regular but was there enough to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

.red. wrote: »
    I still miss Henry's. I wasn't a regular but was there enough to miss it.

Henry's on a Friday and Roxanne's (Savoy) on a Saturday:D

Then, later it was Henry's on a Friday and The Village on Saturday:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Henry's on a Friday and Roxanne's (Savoy) on a Saturday:D

Then, later it was Henry's on a Friday and The Village on Saturday:D

Village for moshing, and sneaking past the bouncers to Henyrs

Cork could really do with an alternative style late night space.

Even the gay stuff is ****.

Can you imagine somewhere with real edgy music? Forest stuff?

Nah.

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Nah.

I dream of a late night bear club with forest.
    Not happening in Cork though, nope.

Anyone remember the world music club, started on coburg Street, but moved to... That street off grand parade?

Macaco I think it was.

All sorts, all ages great fun.

Early 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I was thinking a Pub recommendation thread would be a good one to have in here... I'm asked it a fair bit by people visiting the city, and I find pubs as varied as restaurants. I've a list below of where I send people when asked.

Pubs with cocktails
    Cask
    The Metropole bar
    The Raven

Big late bars, superpubs..
    reardons
    soberlane, etc.

Micro Brewery
    Franciscan Well
    Bierhaus

Good for a Businessy crowd.
    Electric
    Goldbergs?

Foodie pubs
    Gallaghers
    Bar Pigalle

Wine bars
    L'attitude 51 (closed at the moment)

I used to send people to these:

Cosy pubs
    Mutton Lane Inn
    The Oval
    Sextant (gone, alas)
    El Fenix
    idle hour
    the castle...

It's quite personal, same as restaurants really, where you like and don't like. Anyway.. feel free to add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Been to reardens over Christmas, crowds have fallen away a lot I think there is a swing happening. I believe there was a change of owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Been to reardens over Christmas, crowds have fallen away a lot I think there is a swing happening. I believe there was a change of owners?

Wasnt there something about the owners who were married, the fella having an affair, so now just the wife runs it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The Long Valley?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Mushy wrote: »
    Wasnt there something about the owners who were married, the fella having an affair, so now just the wife runs it?

That's what I heard, he is running Dwyer's now I believe and is taking some of the crowd as well. Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I was in Dwyers a lot over Christmas and also last weekend and they’ve either not renewed their late license or they’ve had it revoked because they now close up and stop serving at 12:30, up until very recently they used to open until 2.
    It’s not a late bar any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrpdap

pwurple wrote: »
    I was thinking a Pub recommendation thread would be a good one to have in here...

Pubs with cocktails
    Cask
    The Metropole bar
    The Raven

The Bridge Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Solid recommendation in The Bridge. That's a great place.

The Long Valley also does excellent poetry on Monday nights, although I think this might only be one Monday a month now. Ó Bhéal is the name of the group.

Arthur Maynes is a savage wine bar actually, to be fair to it. Just don't drink their "local craft beers" for reasons I won't go into but I'm sure ye can guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just don't drink their "local craft beers" for reasons I won't go into but I'm sure ye can guess.

I'm not sure anyone can guess.
    Go on, tell us why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I was in Dwyers a lot over Christmas and also last weekend and they’ve either not renewed their late license or they’ve had it revoked because they now close up and stop serving at 12:30, up until very recently they used to open until 2.
    It’s not a late bar any more.

These would be applied for on a month by month basis and can cost a fair whack, plus you have to pay staff for longer, security for longer etc... maybe they just don't see any point in the late license for January

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

RINO87 wrote: »
    These would be applied for on a month by month basis and can cost a fair whack, plus you have to pay staff for longer, security for longer etc... maybe they just don't see any point in the late license for January

I was in there on the 23rd and St. Stephen's night in December and they closed early both those nights too. Everyone was bewildered and confused when the lights went on and the music stopped, the place was absolutely heaving and most people ended up going to Reardens.
    I've heard rumours that they never actually had the late license to begin with, but continued staying open till 2 regardless, and it must have finally caught up with them. Hard to say what happened but its definitely weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Nah.

Real late night stuff like the rest of Europe has been killed off by puritanical licencing hours and fears of anti social behaviour. Late bars have replaced clubs, by and large.
    Kind of embarrassed to advise foreign visitors, ok, that's it, finish up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

pwurple wrote: »
    Pubs with cocktails
    Cask
    The Metropole bar
    The Raven

Edison (or was it the Long Island before) used to be a good cocktail venue. Not sure if that's still the case.
    Wine bars
    L'attitude 51 (closed at the moment)

Surprisingly few options here. But I'd add Meade's (Oliver Plunkett St.) and Arthur Mayne's.
    I used to send people to these:

Cosy pubs
    Mutton Lane Inn
    The Oval
    Sextant (gone, alas)
    El Fenix
    idle hour
    the castle...

I like upstairs in Arthur Mayne's. I love that old-style 'someone's livingroom' feel. As long as it's not my living room...

I really like Impala too. Despite it's name, it's not a kitsch neon-adorned '80s club, but it's a nice cosy bar/pub. (Near the Raven).

saabsaab wrote: »
    The Long Valley?

OK, you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    That's what I heard, he is running Dwyer's now I believe and is taking some of the crowd as well. Interesting

no hes running clancys and most of riordans old staff are gone there too

Advertisement