Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Socket

Options
  • 05-01-2020 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭

I'm considering adding an external socket, and rather than adding to the existing internal wiring ring (which I'm not competant or comfortable doing).

I was considering using a Masterplug RCD Safety Plug as the source for the external socket, however I'm curious what is the best cable to use to run from the RCD plug to the socket - is standard 3 core 2.5mm² 3183Y OK?

The wire will simply pass through the house wall directly into the external socket and never directly exposed to the elements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

GM228 wrote: »
    I'm considering adding an external socket, and rather than adding to the existing internal wiring ring (which I'm not competant or comfortable doing).

I was considering using a Masterplug RCD Safety Plug as the source for the external socket, however I'm curious what is the best cable to use to run from the RCD plug to the socket - is standard 3 core 2.5mm² 3183Y OK?

The wire will simply pass through the house wall directly into the external socket and never directly exposed to the elements.

I'm a bit lost as to what exactly you are thinking of doing but the masterpug you have linked is just a device that is plugged into an existing socket to give RCD protection to whatever is plugged into it.

Why not just find a socket on an outside wall of your house, drill through the back of it, run a cable from the back of the internal socket and wire it into the outside socket ie back to back with the internal socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

aido79 wrote: »
    I'm a bit lost as to what exactly you are thinking of doing but the masterpug you have linked is just a device that is plugged into an existing socket to give RCD protection to whatever is plugged into it.

Why not just find a socket on an outside wall of your house, drill through the back of it, run a cable from the back of the internal socket and wire it into the outside socket ie back to back with the internal socket?

It's the second device down in the link, not the first. I was going to plug it into an existing socket (like in this video).

I'm not too confident in wiring off the back of the existing socket to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

GM228 wrote:
    I'm not too confident in wiring off the back of the existing socket to be honest.

I'm not trying to offend you here but if you're not confident taking a spur off an existing socket it might be best to find an electrician

I'm not trying to offend you here but if you're not confident taking a spur off an existing socket it might be best to find an electrician

I have no problem taking a spur off an existing socket, the issue I have would be more to there being other spurs on the ring (AFAIK you can only spur once). As such I'm settling on the safest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So basically you want to wire likes of nymj into a plug top and then plug into the protection device while wired to an outdoor socket.

Obviously not conventional way but I don't see any issues as such with it once everything is connected correctly and also means you can unplug or switch off on the indoor socket thus leaving the outdoor one dead when not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you were going to use a plug in setup, a standard 13a plug would be better than the RCD type one in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

GM228 wrote: »
    It's the second device down in the link, not the first. I was going to plug it into an existing socket (like in this video).

Does the socket you are going to plug into not already have RCD protection?

So basically you want to wire likes of nymj into a plug top and then plug into the protection device while wired to an outdoor socket.

Obviously not conventional way but I don't see any issues as such with it once everything is connected correctly and also means you can unplug or switch off on the indoor socket thus leaving the outdoor one dead when not needed.

This is another reason why I want such a set up, but back to my OP, is 2.5mm² 3183Y OK, or even a 1.5mm²?

aido79 wrote: »
    Does the socket you are going to plug into not already have RCD protection?

Yes of course, overlooking that point so 13A plug the only option which is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

2.5mm for sockets, 1.5mm for lighting.

You could fit a fused spur one equipped with a switch so then nobody could use the socket unless it's on.

Advertisement