Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUB old routes / destinations?

Options
  • 05-01-2020 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Contrary to the new routes thread, what airports used to be served from DUB?

What routes can you remember? I suppose we could discuss routes from SNN and ORK and other airports.

I remember there was a route from DUB to Ljubljana and Tampere (both with FR) and one to Tunis as well, DUB also had a route to ORK and Sligo too (possibly Galway too). There was also ORK to Belfast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

One of my favourites, though short lived was FR DUB-VGO I originally used to go Iberia Express via Madrid so a direct route was amazing. Miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Domestically, GWY, WAT, ORK, SXL. Possibly Oranmore before GWY was public if you go back far enough but not 100% sure on that. LDY and one or both of BFS/BHD in the North.

BLK, OXF, DSA, NWI and others in the UK.

BWI in the US. not served since it was dropped by EI quite a long time ago. I think they announced resumption just before the crash but never actually relaunched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Contrary to the new routes thread, what airports used to be served from DUB?

What routes can you remember? I suppose we could discuss routes from SNN and ORK and other airports.

I remember there was a route from DUB to Ljubljana and Tampere (both with FR) and one to Tunis as well, DUB also had a route to ORK and Sligo too (possibly Galway too). There was also ORK to Belfast.

Don’t think Ryanair ever served Ljubljana?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ldeayton

My first flight ever was DUB to Algergrove sometime in the early 80’s. BAC1-11.
    On the return flight we got back to our house in Dublin quicker than our grandparents returned to theirs in Belfast after dropping us off at Belfast airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Those were the days...

Dublin to Cork with FR
    Cork to Derry/Londonderry with FR
    Cork to Belfast with Manx

I'd love a new Cork to Belfast flight. And for Cork to Dublin to return 3x daily, say, with Aer Lingus and ATRs, allowing domestic passengers to connect through the Aer Lingus/IAG route system in Dublin rather than having to Aircoach it a million hours before the flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I remember when going for a spin from Shannon to Dublin on a 747 with the kids was a thing.

Fly up, day out in Dublin, train home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

easypazz wrote: »
    I remember when going for a spin from Shannon to Dublin on a 747 with the kids was a thing.

Fly up, day out in Dublin, train home.

1990, my first time in a plane. 747 to Shannon. Just after takeoff my name is called out as the captain wanted to see me. My neighbour had secretly organised a cockpit visit through an EI pilot friend. Amazing.

Spent a few hours in Shannon before taking a 737 back to Dublin. Getting on the plane, hostess checking the boarding passes, "Oh, the captain wants to see you after we take off". Twice in the same day. :-) Also, I was sat amongst a gang of French female exchange students, so for a young teenage boy that was an added bonus!

Those were the good ole days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Caranica wrote: »
    One of my favourites, though short lived was FR DUB-VGO I originally used to go Iberia Express via Madrid so a direct route was amazing. Miss it

This was still offered as late as Summer 18 was it not? EI still fly to Santiago which is only about an hour and a half or so in the car, motorway all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

donvito99 wrote: »
    This was still offered as late as Summer 18 was it not? EI still fly to Santiago which is only about an hour and a half or so in the car, motorway all the way.

DUB-VGO would have been dead handy when I was studying there. First time I went I went via Madrid, on Spanair (think they were boarding from the tail?)
    Then I ended up just taking the airport bus link down to OPO and FR from there - much handier than connecting in MAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

donvito99 wrote: »

They only ran it for two years iirc. Used it last in 2018, went to book for 2019 and it was gone. It was a busy flight every time I used it so was disappointed to see it gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Caranica wrote: »
    They only ran it for two years iirc. Used it last in 2018, went to book for 2019 and it was gone. It was a busy flight every time I used it so was disappointed to see it gone.

I think FR had a falling out with the airport. Flew it many time and it was always fully loaded as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

I can't recall the operator but there was a 767 service to Cape Town via Palma back around 2006?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Didn't Gulf do Bahrain until 2006 or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jonny one

Torp Norway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Dublin Cherbourg

Back in the 60's EI flew this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dublin to San Javier in Spain. Tiny airport so handy when flying to the southern part of Costa Blanca. Airport is now closed and the Murcia International opened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Didn't Gulf do Bahrain until 2006 or something?

They did.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Malmo MMX sold subtitled as "Copenhagen" on Ryanair.

The competition ruling from the first attempt by Ryanair to buy Aer Lingus actually has most of the European routes listed in it in different sections - there's a few more there.

https://ec.europa.eu/competition/mergers/cases/decisions/m4439_20070627_20610_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

L1011 wrote: »
    BWI in the US. not served since it was dropped by EI quite a long time ago. I think they announced resumption just before the crash but never actually relaunched.

I think this is ripe for them to look into again, I don't doubt they could make an A321LR route pay given that BA run a 772 on this during the summer and the only other European route is Condor to FRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

JetMagic on ORK-DUB

Czech Airlines to PRG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

JetMagic never operated ORK-DUB ? Was EI then RE and finally FR.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Cork to Derry/Londonderry with FR

When was this? I remember Aer Arann Cork to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Skiathos was served for a year or two, from Dublin, about 15 years ago I think. It was on my list of Greek island destinations for a holiday, but unfortunately was cancelled before I got a chance to go. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

The Capetown route was an A330 charter with LTU around 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

I flew Malev to Budapest in 2006. Think it lasted until the airline went bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not a DUB route but one of the good old boom time routes that got going was GWY-WAT-FAO on a Avro/BAe146 iirc.

Just looked on Wikipedia and GWY handled 300k passengers in 2007. That's pretty wild there's not 1 commercial route 13 years later, absorbed by NOC & SNN no doubt.

cson wrote: »
    Not a DUB route but one of the good old boom time routes that got going was GWY-WAT-FAO on a Avro/BAe146 iirc.

Just looked on Wikipedia and GWY handled 300k passengers in 2007. That's pretty wild there's not 1 commercial route 13 years later, absorbed by NOC & SNN no doubt.

The M6 and Gobus will have made a significant impact also - DUB flights were generally cheaper and more available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Used to be a Cork to Krakow route. Think it was Ryanair or Wizz Air

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Sky Europe did Bratislava and Centralwings had routes to about 4? Polish destinations - Wroclaw, Gdańsk, Warsaw and somewhere else I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

L1011 wrote: »
    Domestically, GWY, WAT, ORK, SXL. Possibly Oranmore before GWY was public if you go back far enough but not 100% sure on that. LDY and one or both of BFS/BHD in the North.

BLK, OXF, DSA, NWI and others in the UK.

Also NOC-DUB and you could connect on domestically too. I remember flying NOC-ORK, short stopover in DUB where you changed planes, just entered Pier B (200 gates) and walked from one gate to the next without any security checks, was very hand.

Advertisement