Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUB old routes / destinations?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

Aer Lingus served Montreal at one stage in the 70s or 80s, was that via Shannon?

Singapore Airlines Cargo had a DUB route until not too long ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There was indeed a Cape Town service using a 767 earlier than 2006, was a nightmare of a flight to handle, (Servisair handled it) it came in from Manchester, and had to be turned in 40 minutes, if it wasn't, they couldn't go due to crew duty time limitations.

Not sure if it was non stop or if it had a fuel tech stop on the way. Charter operator, can't remember now at this stage who ran it or supplied the airframe for the service

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

EI operated to HAJ for a while.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

EI flew DUB-DXB for a period during the boom too iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Galway - Waterford - Amsterdam was a very useful route back in the day.... was the only jet serving Galway back in 2008-ish when I was there. Lovely RJ-85. Never got to use it before it was pulled though, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

titan18 wrote: »
    Used to be a Cork to Krakow route. Think it was Ryanair or Wizz Air
    Central wings did it in 07, they used to run planes through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

EI321 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus served Montreal at one stage in the 70s or 80s, was that via Shannon?

Yes, of course - all T/A flights had to route vis SNN in both directions. I can recall in the 1970s some flights routeing DUB-SNN-BOS-JFK, loads not being what they are today.

Singapore Airlines Cargo had a DUB route until not too long ago.

Yes, this went via CPH or SHJ, IIRC.

FDH, FKB, HHN, and NRN were all served by Ryanair at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Galway - Waterford - Amsterdam was a very useful route back in the day.... was the only jet serving Galway back in 2008-ish when I was there. Lovely RJ-85. Never got to use it before it was pulled though, sadly.

ah I remember waterfords apron absolutely jam packed with 5-6 RJ's and ATR's at it's peak as well as private jets. They could hardly turn.

It really was a busy airport during the boom.

The RJ is a horribly uncomfortable plane though. I wouldn't fancy flying to Faro/Malaga/Amsterdam on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The RJ with 5 across - or 4 across as the Nex plane that route I think? - is comfortable enough

6 across as WX do is hideous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

L1011 wrote: »
    The RJ with 5 across - or 4 across as the Nex plane that route I think? - is comfortable enough

6 across as WX do is hideous.

Ah that explains why I've always had such horrible experiences.
    I've flown on a lot of aircraft and the RJ is definitely was one of the most uncomfortablly cramped and noisy aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I remember booking my parents holiday flights from Cork to Nice I think, on JetMagic. I think they had a handful of Embraers which seemed to mix between midweek business routes and weekend sunshine spins from memory.

They loved the trip, had all the bells and whistles of old school service like free booze and newspapers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I remember taking a BA ERJ-145 (2 + 1 across) from Dublin to Southampton years ago. A nice flight.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I remember taking a BA ERJ-145 (2 + 1 across) from Dublin to Southampton years ago. A nice flight.

Still operating, different operator and different aircraft type, Flybe are operating the route, from memory up to 3 rotations a day, Dash8-400

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

A thread like this should use the airport names rather then the codes for interested lurkers like myself.

Interesting that in an increasingly connected and global world, connections within Ireland actually got worse.

No flights from Cork to Belfast or Dublin to Derry (Donegal airport is useless to most of the northwest, half it's catchment area is an ocean, the other half a giant National Park).

For business, travel within Ireland is still relatively slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Blut2

salonfire wrote: »
    A thread like this should use the airport names rather then the codes for interested lurkers like myself.

Interesting that in an increasingly connected and global world, connections within Ireland actually got worse.

No flights from Cork to Belfast or Dublin to Derry (Donegal airport is useless to most of the northwest, half it's catchment area is an ocean, the other half a giant National Park).

For business, travel within Ireland is still relatively slow.

A quick google of "XXX + airport" where xxx is the code generally shows it in the top few results, if you can't guess any of them!

A major factor in the decline of domestic Irish flights has been the massive improvements in our motorway network over the past 30 years. Its hard to justify flying Cork to Dublin these days when its only a fairly easy 2.5hr motorway drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Blut2 wrote: »
    A quick google of "XXX + airport" where xxx is the code generally shows it in the top few results, if you can't guess any of them!

A major factor in the decline of domestic Irish flights has been the massive improvements in our motorway network over the past 30 years. Its hard to justify flying Cork to Dublin these days when its only a fairly easy 2.5hr motorway drive.

That's understandable enough I know.

Still though, if you're an important business person, that 2.5hrs you could be spending doing something more productive.

If the route was still in place,it would still get used I'd imagine plus make Cork more attractive for investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

salonfire wrote: »
    That's understandable enough I know.

Still though, if you're an important business person, that 2.5hrs you could be spending doing something more productive.

If the route was still in place,it would still get used I'd imagine plus make Cork more attractive for investment.

That’s what the train is for. If you left Dublin City centre at say 5:30am for a cork meeting, you’d be there by 8-8:30am by car, if there was a 7am flight you’d be in cork city for roughly the same, but on both of those options you’d have limited scope to work apart from making phone calls when driving. You’re only sitting for 40 mins or so on the flight (including boarding/taxiing etc), and the rest of the time is moving through the various phases of navigating to and through the airport. The train allows you to sit at a table with a power socket next to you in relative peace for over 2 hours.

I sound like an Irish Rail salesperson, but you be fair, bar the slightly slow running speed by international standards, the cork Dublin route is one of the things they do very well and has massively contributed to killing off the air route

One thing I would say as someone with family in Cork who lived in the US for years, a huge amount of people like to depart cork on medium to long haul, connecting through LHR/AMS/CDG. EI might be missing a trick not running a flight that would put people on their transatlantics, but I’m sure they’ve thought about it and done the sums

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

EI might be missing a trick not running a flight that would put people on their transatlantics, but I’m sure they’ve thought about it and done the sums

Thats what I can't help but think. A morning and an evening ATR from Cork - Dublin and back? Possibly? I'd rather that than the 747 bus to Heuston and then Irish Rail from there, or an Aercoach. Given the option I'd always connect via LHR or via Zurich, and I've worked out roughly that connecting via Cork rather than driving to Dublin (hassle etc getting to the bus on my end and extra waiting), the flight would have to be €200 more expensive out of Cork to make me want to go to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Blut2 wrote: »

Even quicker would be if the airport name was written in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

DUB to DSA (Doncaster) was disconinued by FlyBE in October

a few more of their routes may go now too

So I've just added a new report from my flight database (yes, I am a nerd) and here's the list of airports I've flown to directly from DUB. Many of these still exist, but there are a bunch that don't any more.

AGP, AMS, ARN, ATL, AUH, BCN, BHX, BIQ, BLQ, BOD, BOH, BOJ, BRS, BRU, BSL, BTS, BUD, BVA, CCF, CDG, CIA, CPH, CRL, CWL, DSA, DUS, DXB, EDI, EIN, EMA, EWR, FAO, FCO, FDH, FKB, FMM, FRA, GDN, GLA, GNB, GRO, HAJ, HAM, HEL, IAD, IST, JFK, KRK, KTW, LAX, LBA, LCJ, LCY, LGW, LHR, LIN, LIS, LPA, LPL, LTN, LYS, MAD, MAN, MCO, MRS, MUC, MXP, NAP, NCE, NCL, NRN, NTE, ORD, ORK, ORY, OSL, OTP, PFO, PIK, PMI, PMO, PRG, PUY, RAK, RIX, SEN, SFO, SNN, SOF, SOU, STN, SVO, SVQ, SXF, SZZ, TLS, TSF, TXL, VCE, VIE, VNO, WRO, YYZ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Noxegon wrote: »
    So I've just added a new report from my flight database (yes, I am a nerd) and here's the list of airports I've flown to directly from DUB. Many of these still exist, but there are a bunch that don't any more.

AGP, AMS, ARN, ATL, AUH, BCN, BHX, BIQ, BLQ, BOD, BOH, BOJ, BRS, BRU, BSL, BTS, BUD, BVA, CCF, CDG, CIA, CPH, CRL, CWL, DSA, DUS, DXB, EDI, EIN, EMA, EWR, FAO, FCO, FDH, FKB, FMM, FRA, GDN, GLA, GNB, GRO, HAJ, HAM, HEL, IAD, IST, JFK, KRK, KTW, LAX, LBA, LCJ, LCY, LGW, LHR, LIN, LIS, LPA, LPL, LTN, LYS, MAD, MAN, MCO, MRS, MUC, MXP, NAP, NCE, NCL, NRN, NTE, ORD, ORK, ORY, OSL, OTP, PFO, PIK, PMI, PMO, PRG, PUY, RAK, RIX, SEN, SFO, SNN, SOF, SOU, STN, SVO, SVQ, SXF, SZZ, TLS, TSF, TXL, VCE, VIE, VNO, WRO, YYZ

Great selection - most covered! one that jumps out at me as missing is BOS.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Great selection - most covered! one that jumps out at me as missing is BOS.

That's in the DB but it's long enough back that it's a BOS-SNN-DUB.

Showing my age now I fear :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Noxegon wrote: »
    That's in the DB but it's long enough back that it's a BOS-SNN-DUB.

Showing my age now I fear :/

I did DUB - SNN - BOS return back in the early 2000's, convoluted and pointless doing immigration in Shannon, flight was full leaving Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

1989. Dublin-Lisbon via Manchester. TAP Air Portugal on a 727-100. Route only survived a year or two. 40 minutes stop over of off/load in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thats what I can't help but think. A morning and an evening ATR from Cork - Dublin and back? Possibly? I'd rather that than the 747 bus to Heuston and then Irish Rail from there, or an Aercoach. Given the option I'd always connect via LHR or via Zurich, and I've worked out roughly that connecting via Cork rather than driving to Dublin (hassle etc getting to the bus on my end and extra waiting), the flight would have to be €200 more expensive out of Cork to make me want to go to Dublin.

Is there direct option from Cork to Dublin airport or do all the buses via via Dublin city center. I did the bus from Dub to Cork once and never again as it was cramped, hot and spent a good hour getting through the city centre. Now only fly direct from ORK and connect via Heathrow when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Is there direct option from Cork to Dublin airport or do all the buses via via Dublin city center. I did the bus from Dub to Cork once and never again as it was cramped, hot and spent a good hour getting through the city centre. Now only fly direct from ORK and connect via Heathrow when necessary.

Sounds like you got to Dublin at peek traffic time. It wouldn’t have made any difference as the Red Cow to Dublin Airport would be equally as slow using the M50 northbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Is there direct option from Cork to Dublin airport or do all the buses via via Dublin city center.

The 1am, 2am and 3am Aircoach buses are direct to the airport

A few of the GoBus routes are too:

01:30, 03:30, 05:30, 07:30 and 09:30

I've taken the 05:30 GoBus a good few times and even with the eternal M7 roadworks and on one occasion that plus a Garda diversion, it arrived at the airport before 9am, usually 08:45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The 1am, 2am and 3am Aircoach buses are direct to the airport

A few of the GoBus routes are too:

01:30, 03:30, 05:30, 07:30 and 09:30

I've taken the 05:30 GoBus a good few times and even with the eternal M7 roadworks and on one occasion that plus a Garda diversion, it arrived at the airport before 9am, usually 08:45

3.5 hours? Surely a 730 am flight ex cork would work?

Advertisement