Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE 2020 Cork North Central. See Mod Note in Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

dulpit wrote: »
    His leaflet came through the door yesterday, he spent a paragraph talking about how his father used be a td, which doesn't inspire confidence in his own ability...

Did he mention his brother :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

For a business where appearance seems to be so important, especially when it comes to posters, his look awful. There are 3 varieties of them I've seen. 1 looks fine, they've covered the Fianna Fail logo with a white sticker. The other 2 look atrocious though, a diagonal slice across the top to lop off the logo on one, and he has those small diamond ones that he's also chopped off the top.

His leaflet came through the door yesterday, he spent a paragraph talking about how his father used be a td, which doesn't inspire confidence in his own ability...

I've seen the diamond ones with the tops also cut off them, looks terrible. He's trying to remind voters of his father to no doubt drum up Noe's supporters to vote for him. If O'Flynn beats one of the FF candidates to the final seat then Martin will have problems on his hands.

Did he mention his brother :pac:

Gary? I've seen him on all corners of the city, hail, rain or snow wearing sunglasses, on a sunny day it's fine, but other than that he stands out. Gary gave up his seat for his brother in 2008 i think, months before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Interesting that Diarmaid O'Cadhla has ventured northside for another election he can lose..

• Advertisement

Interesting that Diarmaid O'Cadhla has ventured northside for another election he can lose..

I asked him about that and he declined to answer me :(

https://twitter.com/corktruckdriver/status/1219353387751309312?s=21

Walked home from work yesterday and in today, I work in Blackpool and my walk goes along Churchfield, Farranree and down Popham's. Distinct lack of any FG posters now, and I could see 2 this morning that were torn down from the top (still on pole, but hanging by bottom), and another was torn up on road. There's another for Colm Burke by Dinos that has been daubed with white paint too it would seem..

Any idea who might be doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

How the hell was O Cadhla not convicted of vandalism for his painting exercise?
    I'm out Blarney direction and only Padraig O Sullivan and Colm Burke posters in our area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

How the hell was O Cadhla not convicted of vandalism for his painting exercise?
    I'm out Blarney direction and only Padraig O Sullivan and Colm Burke posters in our area

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/may-trial-scheduled-for-councillor-accused-of-blacking-out-queen-victoria-related-street-names-in-cork-976174.html

Case is due to be heard in May as he has requested an Irish language judge.

• Advertisement

Case is due to be heard in May as he has requested an Irish language judge.

Course he has :rolleyes:

I think the problem there is that it didn't fall down, but was torn down. Seems to be a major issue with FG in North Central by somebody...

I think the problem there is that it didn't fall down, but was torn down. Seems to be a major issue with FG in North Central by somebody...

It’s going on wholesale, tearing down posters as well as firing bricks through constituency offices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

He cut the tops off them where the party name was

Reduce, Reuse.......
    :)

Reduce, Reuse.......
    :)

Are you voting for:

Colette?
    Oliver?
    Lorna?
    Liam?
    Bernadette?

:pac::pac::pac:

Ivan Yeats going with 2 FF, 1 SF, 1 SOL.

More or less called Colm Burke a serial loser and thinks he'll miss out once again.

More or less called Colm Burke a serial loser and thinks he'll miss out once again.

Who would be more favourable to come home with O'Sullivan for FF? Murphy is unheard of, Fitzgerald an ex Lord Mayor. As for Solidarity, i don't see Barry getting re-elected, O'Flynn or Maher are the dark horses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Not that predictable. If there is only one FF seat could Tony Fitz get it ahead of O'Sullivan. Will running three and O'Flynn as gene pool hurt their chances of getting a second seat.

Don't think FG running two was a good idea but would be astonished if there is not a FG seat for Burke. He is well enough liked.

Seems the greens don't have a chance here despite being nationally strong.

Maher has a very good chance of taking the last seat.

Looks like a dogfight at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,989 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

robinbird wrote: »
    Not that predictable. If there is only one FF seat could Tony Fitz get it ahead of O'Sullivan. Will running three and O'Flynn as gene pool hurt their chances of getting a second seat.

Don't think FG running two was a good idea but would be astonished if there is not a FG seat for Burke. He is well enough liked.

Seems the greens don't have a chance here despite being nationally strong.

Maher has a very good chance of taking the last seat.

Looks like a dogfight at this stage.

Well was Noel O Flynns vote a personal vote or a FF vote ?

If there are 2 FF then you would imagine Tony Fitzgerald comes in with the 3rd or 4th seat. I'd be surprised if Mick Barry gets in, but I did see that he's the Solidarity/PBP representative in the 7-way debate on Virgin Media this week, so that will boost him up a little.

I still think Labour can sneak that last seat, it's really a question of who gets eliminated when. You would assume Greens and Soc Dems will transfer his way...

• Advertisement

If there are 2 FF then you would imagine Tony Fitzgerald comes in with the 3rd or 4th seat. I'd be surprised if Mick Barry gets in, but I did see that he's the Solidarity/PBP representative in the 7-way debate on Virgin Media this week, so that will boost him up a little.

I still think Labour can sneak that last seat, it's really a question of who gets eliminated when. You would assume Greens and Soc Dems will transfer his way...

I imagine Barry is being catapulted into the spotlight on Thursday is because both he and his grouping know he is in trouble to hold his seat. I would be surprised if Tony Fitzgerald followed O'Sullivan home for a second FF seat but it's not impossible. The lady running for the Soc. Dems might do well i think. NC isn't a typical area that would be favourable to the Greens, Moran's base is the north east of the city where they are lets say a bit posh unlike Farranree/Fairhill/Knocknaheeny and surrounding areas up there who would be a strong SF/FF base. As mentioned, Kenneth O'Flynn topped the poll in the North East local elections, John Maher also elected from that ward so they can rely on their vote base from those area's, Noel O'Flynn is helping his son on the campaign as is Joe O'Callaghan, so FF/FG rebels have combined.

As mentioned, Kenneth O'Flynn topped the poll in the North East local elections, John Maher also elected from that ward so they can rely on their vote base from those area's, Noel O'Flynn is helping his son on the campaign as is Joe O'Callaghan, so FF/FG rebels have combined.

Tony Fitzgerald topped the poll in his ward (North West) with a higher percentage than O'Flynn did in his, and he also outpolled Thomas Gould.

I imagine Barry is being catapulted into the spotlight on Thursday is because both he and his grouping know he is in trouble to hold his seat.

I’m not sure if I’d agree with that take since all 6 of the TDs running for Solidarity/PBP/Rise are battling for the final seats in their respective constituencies. Gino Kenny’s probably the one most likely to lose their seat.

I think they’re going with Mick Barry as he’s a better media performer than the rest of them although after last night’s debate they’d be as well giving RBB another shot.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Bookies-favour-incumbents-in-Cork-seats-with-some-possible-surprises-1f9ed9eb-576e-434e-ad31-872865b04d35-ds
    In Cork North Central Sinn Féin Cllr Thomas Gould is favourite at 1/20, while Fine Gael Senator Colm Burke and Fianna Fáil incumbent Pádraig O’Sullivan are both offered at 1/7, and Fianna Fáil Cllr Tony Fitzgerald is at 10/11.

There could be trouble ahead for an incumbent in this constituency, as Solidarity’s Mick Barry has been priced out of the top four at 6/4. Labour Party Cllr John Maher, Independent Cllr Kenneth O’Flynn, and Green Party Cllr Oliver Moran aren’t far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

KOF and John Maher will probably get a lot of brownie points for objecting against the super site in Ballyvolane.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

So based on those odds

Padraig O'Sullivan - SAFE
    Tommy Gould - SAFE
    Colm Burke - SAFE

Last seat between Barry, Maher and Tony Fitz

robinbird wrote: »
    So based on those odds

Padraig O'Sullivan - SAFE
    Tommy Gould - SAFE
    Colm Burke - SAFE

Last seat between Barry, Maher and Tony Fitz

Bookies odds was never my strong point and at this stage of my life never will be. If Colm Burke doesn’t get in now he can both pack up and go home plus blame Dara Murphy

That Mike barry appearance in the debate on Thursday may not have helped him.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That Mike barry appearance in the debate on Thursday may not have helped him.

It's not just votes he is struggling for

https://www.gofundme.com/f/a-td-for-working-people-reelect-mick-barry

• Advertisement

Jesus he'll be luck to get a third of that total before the election this day week. Also, Mick barry may not the only PBP/ SOL who goes out with the tide so to speak.

Advertisement