Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE 2020 Cork North Central. See Mod Note in Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

dulpit wrote: »
    Voted around noon. 20% at that stage, they said thats very busy for them.

Anyone heard the cars driving around for Mick Barry or Thomas Gould with tannoys on roof blasting out election slogans? Very old school...

Michael Nugent is offering to drive people to voting stations for Thomas Gould.

leahyl wrote: »
    Just back - really busy at the polling station, busiest I’ve ever seen it for any election, not sure if that’s to do with it being a Saturday or what

Seems to be reflecting they way city wide

Just back - really busy at the polling station, busiest I’ve ever seen it for any election, not sure if that’s to do with it being a Saturday or what

Appears that way city wide. Varadkar is going to be punished for the Saturday vote

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Voted around noon. 20% at that stage, they said thats very busy for them.

Anyone heard the cars driving around for Mick Barry or Thomas Gould with tannoys on roof blasting out election slogans? Very old school...

Heard it was 27% at my polling station, great to see, hope it keeps up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

You would expect a much higher percentage early in the day though being a saturday compared to the normal weekday elections. Also, the bad weather forecast for later would encourage people to get it out of the way early in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Just back from Blackpool. Nice little queue and had to wait to mark my paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Riverstown was busy earlier and The Glen was the busiest I've ever seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'd say the turnout will be about average.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Don't know yet where my meaningful vote is going to go.

WP first, maybe Mick Barry second. Won't be voting SF. Not Green this time. Never FF/FG.

Hope the turnout is strong.

I'm going to make 2 predictions here:

1. If Thomas Gould is elected then Michael Nugent will be co-opted into his place in City Hall.

2. If Tony Fitzgerald is elected then Sandra Murphy will take his place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Mick Barry should be safe and sound based on exit poll, Gould should top the poll with a decent surplus, you'd expect a good chunk of that surplus would go to Barry...

Based on that exit poll only 1 of the 3 FF candidates is likely to get in, O'Sullivan has to be the favourite of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Mick Barry should be safe and sound based on exit poll, Gould should top the poll with a decent surplus, you'd expect a good chunk of that surplus would go to Barry...

Yeah. Sinn Fein would have taken two seats. They fuc.ked up.
    Goulds surplus should save Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Based on that exit poll only 1 of the 3 FF candidates is likely to get in, O'Sullivan has to be the favourite of the 3.

If FF hadn't added a third to humiliate O'Flynn he may not have run.
    And with two FF candidates they probably would have taken two seats.

Based on exit poll its looking like

Gould SF
    O'Sullivan FF
    Barry Sol
    Burke FG

In that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,989 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seems like Thomas Gould will top the poll in cork north central with a tally only half done. Colm Burke is in second place but a bit behind but looks good to get a seat.

Edit: also I was said that mick Barry was in trouble but on the radio they were saying that Thomas goulds surplus might help him out.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Seems like Thomas Gould will top the poll in cork north central with a tally only half done. Colm Burke is in second place but a bit behind but looks good to get a seat.

Edit: also I was said that mick Barry was in trouble but on the radio they were saying that Thomas goulds surplus might help him out.

Very suprised at Colm Burke being second

• Registered Users Posts: 39,989 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That's just a partial tally but the cork north central twitter account(I'd forgot I followed it years ago) is saying that FG people in the count centre are happy with how it's going.

Gould’s surplus will send him back down the order

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Gould’s surplus will send him back down the order

I'm still amazed at his first pref position. FF messed up big time with 3 and O'Flynn splitting their vote into 4

South Central is looking very interesting too.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That's just a partial tally but the cork north central twitter account(I'd forgot I followed it years ago) is saying that FG people in the count centre are happy with how it's going.

Yeah, still though, I honestly thought he had no chance lol....sure he still might not get in I suppose.

Unbelievable Donncha O’ Laoighre topping the poll from the early tallies

Unbelievable Donncha O’ Laoighre topping the poll from the early tallies

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Martin household :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

All 4 sitting TDs will be returned handily. Not that interesting other than the SF share of the vote.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    All 4 sitting TDs will be returned handily. Not that interesting other than the SF share of the vote.

For a young fella like O'Laoghaire to be so far ahead of such high profile candidates like Martin, Coveney and McGrath is pretty awesome.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Martin household :)

Many expletives and difficult phone calls I’d imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://twitter.com/RTEcorkNTHCENT/status/1226477582314594304

Aontu head of Soc Dems on the tallies! Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Taken from RTE's page.

The final official tally in Cork North Central (a four seater) puts Sinn Féin's Thomas Gould in first place with 26.99% of the first preference vote.

In second place is Fianna Fáil's Pádraig O'Sullivan on 15.87%, third is Fine Gael's Colm Burke with 12.9%, while Solidarity-People Before Profit's Mick barry is on 7.14%.

After that there's Independent Kenneth O'Flynn on 6.88%, Fianna Fáil's Tony Fitzgerald on 6.62%, Green Party Oliver Moran on 6.15%, Labour's John Maher on 4.93%, Aontú's Finian Toomey on 2.6%, Fianna Fáil's Sandra Murphy on 2.37% and Social Democrats' Sinead Halpin on 2.19%.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Pen Rua wrote: »

Aontu head of Soc Dems on the tallies! Wow.

Not surprised tbh - although I gave SDs my #2.
    In a 4 seater with 2 'Left seats' SF are taking the bulk of the first pref Left vote, then there's Mick Barry as sitting TD plus the Greens sadly the SDs really don't have much of a chance of making an impact.

SDs would have gotten my #1 if Mick Barry wasn't contesting the seat.

Aontu would appeal to the Pro-Life vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Not surprised tbh - although I gave SDs my #2.
    In a 4 seater with 2 'Left seats' SF are taking the bulk of the first pref Left vote, then there's Mick Barry as sitting TD plus the Greens sadly the SDs really don't have much of a chance of making an impact.

Aontu would appeal to the Pro-Life vote.

Aontú got my No 1, so that would give context as to why I'm commenting on SD polling poorer than Aontú. Becky Kealy also appears to be doing well in Cork North West.

Advertisement