Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Cloned SSD

Options
  • 05-01-2020 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've cloned a HDD to an SSD using the crucial software Acronis. All worked very well and I could download programes etc., however in the last couple of weeks any programe I try and download will not launch or install. I'm getting very little info on google for my proplems. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Don't know if it is related but had a similar problem cloning a HDD to SSD a couple of weeks ago. My guess is that the software licensing mechanisms in play are keying to the drive signature in BIOS. A PITA but the solution I'm planning on is to leave the old drive in the same slot (i.e. drive 0) as it was and having the clone as the boot in the next slot (i.e. drive 1). I'll post back here once I've tried this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

check your "system" windows log in the event viewer and see if it's logging an error.
    I had an error on a new cloned ssd and it had defaulted to a controller type, I changed it to a generic one and the problem was resolved. Not quite the same effect (my computer would hang then recover) but the logs might point you in the right direction.

Advertisement