Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women Only Professorships

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

There's nothing stopping travelers going to college as it is. There is no need to give them a helping hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/bt-young-scientists-research-on-gender-bias-in-children-wins-2020-prize-1.4136227

:rolleyes:

How it won over this I'll never know. It's far more useful and practical:
    Group runners-up were Cathal O’Mara and James O’Malley, first-year students at Castletroy College, Limerick, who developed “Bin Buddy” – a smart sorting bin which can separate out plastic, aluminium cans and compost at recycling stage.

They “delivered a fully-functioning, integrated technological solution at a level beyond their years”. The image-recognition system has the potential for accurate waste segregation in a domestic setting. The judges recognised its potential commercial application as it fixes a significant challenge of incorrect waste segregation.

“We have had a lot of people taking pictures of it,” said James, “So we will have to patent it when we get home.”

There's nothing stopping travelers going to college as it is. There is no need to give them a helping hand.

Nothing but their own culture, and some bias within Irish society.

Don't get me wrong. I'm am very against Traveller culture, and tolerating that culture within Ireland. However, I do recognize the realities of the situation, and decades of dislike by Irish people towards Travellers does leave a mark on both society and teaching institutions. Along with the barriers within their own social groups. I've taught Travellers as part of various educational initiatives and they do face obstacles that aren't present for the average Irish person.

If it is an initiative that actively modernizes and encourages Travellers to gain meaningful employment and move away from their past, then I'm all for it. University placements could lead to that.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/bt-young-scientists-research-on-gender-bias-in-children-wins-2020-prize-1.4136227

:rolleyes:

How it won over this I'll never know. It's far more useful and practical:

I'm not sure how the winners research was "ground breaking". Research into gender preferences can be found from decades ago.

If it is an initiative that actively modernizes and encourages Travellers to gain meaningful employment and move away from their past, then I'm all for it. University placements could lead to that.

Would agree with you to a point but what if people gifted a college position make things harder for other people who struggled to get there by engaging in anti social behavior...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I'm not sure how the winners research was "ground breaking". Research into gender preferences can be found from decades ago.

I know. But it ticks certain boxes re gender and who gets "discriminated" against. I've no doubt the two lads did well using certain statistical analysis etc. but fail to see how this could have won especially compared to the project that came 2nd.

I'd also have serious doubts over the conclusion of their results from what I've read about they did but thats for a different day.

Would agree with you to a point but what if people gifted a college position make things harder for other people who struggled to get there by engaging in anti social behavior...

To be fair, not all travellers behave equally, and those who engage in anti-social behavior, are going to be too focused on their image within the travelling community to go to university. Most Travellers don't see having a degree as being something of value, since it weakens their claim for support from the State.

I also can't see how gifting a traveller a place would make things harder for other people. Generally, Irish Universities and colleges are not suffering for lack of space or facilities. Class sizes are reasonable when compared with other countries. It entirely depends on the individual and whether they can cooperate on team based activities, but honestly, the majority of university work in many majors is solo, so that's barely a factor either.

I currently work in a University which caters to poorer students, and those who did a bad Gaokao (leaving cert) in China. They're far more focused than the students I've had in much better/richer universities, and are more interested in developing skills for employment. The same could be said for any Traveller attending university since they're already breaking with Traveller culture by being there, and are likely keen to establish a better life for themselves. They just need the right kind of encouragement.. and I would love to see them get it.

Still, whenever Irish governments or minority groups get involved in educational policy, they tend to play agendas and not actually contribute to actually helping people. Instead everything is a virtue signal, and I doubt it'll be much different here. It entirely depends on who is being chosen for these places, and whether they're being properly prepared for University.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Except, you know what?

Men in STEM tend to hire other men, regardless of whether they are actually the best candidate for the job. And those men who were hired never question whether or not they deserved to be hired, and thus the cycle continues.

I was on a panel where a young 20-something guy was interviewed for a developer role. He was absolutely useless, couldn't code his way out of a paper bag. And yet he got the role because he had 'potential', i.e. complete fluffy, nonsense decision making from the men on the panel who wanted someone just like them. We also interviewed a woman who had far superior technical skills and was far more deserving of the job, also a very nice lady, but 'not a good fit', apparently. Do you not think this happens every single day?

Men in this field very rarely seem to suffer from the same imposter syndrome women do. This guy truly believes he got the job because he was the best candidate. And why wouldn't he? He has no idea that a woman who was better qualified lost out because she was the wrong age and gender. He thinks he got it because he was the best, and he'd likely be against any gender-specific hiring process, even though he unknowingly benefitted from such a thing himself.

And so it continues.

And what about all the other candidates that lost out?? It more than likely wasn't just the women you speak of but you decided to pick that because it suits you're agenda. I'm sure there was other women and men that lost out because this young guy was just like the other men in the place.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    And what about all the other candidates that lost out?? It more than likely wasn't just the women you speak of but you decided to pick that because it suits you're agenda. I'm sure there was other women and men that lost out because this young guy was just like the other men in the place.

I'll tell you what I find hilarious about the quoted piece and example.

We're often told that women are more emotional than men. That they're more patient and understanding than men. And that they're more capable of being supportive. Teachers, mothers, care workers, etc are all used as proof that such is the case. Women are supposedly able to see the potential in other people, while men, being more direct and less patient, tend to see only the surface details. Gotta love the stereotypes being promoted.

And yet, in the example above, the only possible explanation for a male interviewer seeing the potential in another male was because of some gender bias or a desire for them to "fit" with the team. If it was a female, then there wouldn't be any questions about suitability being asked. Makes me wonder how lainey_d_123 got her job. Obviously she doesn't fit since she is so critical of them, so, perhaps her interviewers saw some hidden potential?

Hilarious. Gotta wonder if the guy picked did actually realise his potential and there are some sour grapes going on by her.. it's not as if lainey_d_123 has actually defended her statements here on the thread.

Any posters here involved in hiring/interviewing candidates? What would be the general consensus regarding a candidate coming with an arts degree in gender studies or related field? If I were the interviewer I may think that such a person is potential trouble and such a "qualification" would be a negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Any posters here involved in hiring/interviewing candidates? What would be the general consensus regarding a candidate coming with an arts degree in gender studies or related field? If I were the interviewer I may think that such a person is potential trouble and such a "qualification" would be a negative.

massive red flag

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't think people actually realise where this is all headed.....

People are leaving a digital footprint, in particular people who are radicalized in their beliefs on account of social media rabbit holes...I've a few feminists on my social media feed, and the bigotry alone would put me off hiring them...why would you hire someone who believes they are better/more competent leaders than you simply because of their genitals...

Smaller companies will learn much more quickly that you cannot bring "empowered" individuals into the workplace as they simply will not listen to you...there will be a percentage of young women who may very well be unemployable in the coming years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I try to be open-minded. If the person has an Arts degree, I'll ask them what books, thinkers, and classes they found most influential. If the answers amount to a lot of faddish neo-Marxist activist claptrap, then no thanks. But I have hired intellectually serious Arts graduates before and it has worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I try to be open-minded. If the person has an Arts degree, I'll ask them what books, thinkers, and classes they found most influential. If the answers amount to a lot of faddish neo-Marxist activist claptrap, then no thanks. But I have hired intellectually serious Arts graduates before and it has worked out.
    Why hasn't Ireland produced any recent successful intellectual thinkers or social theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

mvl wrote: »
    And in general, since I am from eastern europe myself - I am baffled by some of the perceived imbalances here (so different than in environment I grew up, as for my socio economic background, male/female are working side by side); this is the second thread in the last month with similar subject discussed, and on each of them there were some examples that sounded surreal ...

I'm curious as to the "perceived imbalances" (are none of them real?) you witnessed "here" and I am just wondering how they differ from your home country? Any examples?

vriesmays wrote: »
    Why hasn't Ireland produced any recent successful intellectual thinkers or social theorists.

I'd guess it has much to do with the country's history, until relatively recently, as a stronghold of conservative Catholicism?

I'd guess it has much to do with the country's history, until relatively recently, as a stronghold of conservative Catholicism?

Will we ever see the day when we stop blaming religion for everything in our past...people seek to be indoctrinated....Irish people in particular...today just look at how easily people are indoctrinated!!

Great minds transcend ideology...they are above culture or the mainstream.

Will we ever see the day when we stop blaming religion for everything in our past...people seek to be indoctrinated....Irish people in particular...today just look at how easily people are indoctrinated!!

The problem wasn't religion, per see — it how the state used religion to enforce a conservative and censorious status quo.

It's no accident that many "great minds" of 20th century Ireland (including James Joyce and Samuel Beckett) wound up emigrating in search of greater intellectual and creative freedom.

The problem wasn't religion, per see — it how the state used religion to enforce a conservative and censorious status quo.

It's no accident that many "great minds" of 20th century Ireland (including James Joyce and Samuel Beckett) wound up emigrating in search of greater intellectual and creative freedom.

There was nothing stopping anyone other great mind doing the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Joyce was rejected by the protestant elite of Trinity! Don't blame Catholics for that. I don't think he had to leave though, sometimes leaving is just good for creativity.

Also, writers and academics have to be highly mobile to survive even in large countries. Its pretty natural. Ireland has plenty of great minds, in all sorts of areas.

• Advertisement

I still do consultancy based contracts for extra money while I'm in China. These are usually companies I've worked for personally in the past, or friends who want my input. I tend to be hired quite often to check the interviews for foreign expats coming into China to work professionally, although TBH a lot of my work is performance reviewing after initial hire. China is one of the few countries that still had probationary periods for new hires.

Honestly, it's not such a red flag. I've known people who have done gender studies and have no interest in promoting either feminism, or female rights. (yes, I definitely see a difference between the two). The initial interview will explain a lot about their motives, but I actually find the secondary interview to be far more telling. Feminists don't seek to fit in. Instead, they expect reality to reshape itself around their needs. Which is unfortunate, for them, since China has no interest in pandering to foreigners. Personally, I feel a guilty bit of pleasure giving negative reviews, but honestly, they deserve the reviews based on their general performance. There's an arrogance there that it destructive to a foreign culture that hasn't been exposed to PC culture yet.

I've met many female managers with a module in Gender studies as part of their overall degree who are very clued in. They're not stupid and recognised the social conditioning contained within their courses, and resisted it.

I don't think you can blanket hate a gender studies course. Different universities and different lecturers approach the course in, well, different ways. I, personally, think they'd be better off doing introductory psychology, or anthropology, but it's still a course that can bring some value to their resume. At the end of the day, in spite of what many people continue to think, your course subjects have little real relevance. It is your attitude and performance during the interview, and the first 1-3 months that's important.

Cause and effect.

historically, Society tended to shape itself around a dominant religion. You can find it happened in many countries, not just Ireland... and Irish society for a very long time, due to the effects of Catholic conservatism censored literature and, well, just about anything that didn't meet the standards held most high.

It was a sign of the times, rather than religion in itself, but the RCH definitely played a significant part in pushing down any ideas which went against it's perception of what Irish people should be aware of. The RCH being a political institution as much as a religious or moralistic center.

I think many Irish people are very quick to forget or rather, not learn, what Ireland was like in the 50s and 60s.

If they're lucky. Many great minds ended up in centers of the Insane or prison, for standing against the accepted reality. And there they rotted away in silence, unless they were very lucky.

You're an idealist. I admire you... but I can't be you... because I'm a realist.

vriesmays wrote: »

Actually, I'd say it's due to the lack of conflict in social change in Ireland for quite some time. Irish poets and writers tended to be writing against something. An injustice, or organisation they found to be at odds with their way of life, or personal set of beliefs. Ireland has been rather stable for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

CageWager wrote: »
    Are there male only postings?

Just like women aren't clamouring to work in mines, clean sewers, collect bins, oil rigs, backbreaking construction jobs etc.?? I'd say you're quite happy to live in a nice apartment or house and turn on the heating or the lights whenever you want. Where do you think all that stuff comes from?

Those are male professions requiring physical strength. Teaching is a female profession. Makes sense.

Our genders have natural strengths and weaknesses.

Also why do people look down on jobs that require physical labor? People working on oil rigs and construction earn more than people working in offices and often have degrees like engineering etc.

Those are male professions requiring physical strength. Teaching is a female profession. Makes sense.

Also why do people look down on jobs that require physical labor? People working on oil rigs and construction earn more than people working in offices and often have degrees like engineering etc.

Snobbery...it's worth a fortune to the Education industry!!

Snobbery...it's worth a fortune to the Education industry!!
    I guess so. *nods*

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Are women, in your opinion, incapable of doing physical work?

I am not looking down on people who do physical jobs. I have done physical jobs in the past and it was no picnic. In fact, if you read my post that you are referring to I am making the point that many people take the fruits of male physical labour totally for granted.

CageWager wrote: »
    Are women, in your opinion, incapable of doing physical work?

Certain types of physical work ..yeah. Maybe even MATH!:eek:

Absolute BS. I've been a teacher/lecturer for just over a decade. You seriously think women make a better teacher simply because of their gender? My mother is an excellent teacher... because she studied, improved her methodology, and cares about her students. Want to hear a shocker? I'm the same.

Sexism. Makes sense. :rolleyes: Because your post is pure sexism, and I now have absolutely zero respect for you.

Really wish boards had a puke face for me to use. :puke:

Our genders are, thankfully, not absolutes. And being thinking beings capable of logical and forward thinking, we are able to rise above biological imperatives to choose our own fates. It's wonderful that we live in a technological age where true equality can be possible because physical strength is no longer a important component for success.

Alas, many people are far too lazy and inward looking to seek personal improvement and must cast their negativity and limited states on other people. Meh. :puke:

Because historically, intellectual based professions were exclusive to the educated, and education was expensive, which most people couldn't afford. Elitism and social conditioning takes time to dissipate.

• Advertisement

Really wish boards had a puke face for me to use. :puke:

Meh. :puke:

You are a rubbish teacher.

Case closed. You can't even hear an opinion different to your own without a childish meltdown.

Advertisement