Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A custom built PC from overclockers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

It depends on what you want to use it for. It looks OK for the price, but if you're looking to do 3D gaming you should probably look at geting a more powerful graphics card.

I've had my current PC (also bought from Overclockers, and no complaints) for three years and it came with a GTX 1060. Your spec'd GTX 1660 seems close to mine in performance, but if you're more occasional than heavy on the 3D gaming, it'll probably do fine. Personally, I'd prefer an Intel processor but that's just me.

I'd also recommend an M.2 SSD for the OS, it boots up like lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That build is solid & fine for 1080p / 1440p gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 friday one

storker wrote: »
    It depends on what you want to use it for. It looks OK for the price, but if you're looking to do 3D gaming you should probably look at geting a more powerful graphics card.

I've had my current PC (also bought from Overclockers, and no complaints) for three years and it came with a GTX 1060. Your spec'd GTX 1660 seems close to mine in performance, but if you're more occasional than heavy on the 3D gaming, it'll probably do fine. Personally, I'd prefer an Intel processor but that's just me.

Thank you.

The 1660 TI is 30 pounds more expensive than the 1660 super (from searching they appear fairly evenly matched, but 30 pounds seems worth it). The price jump up to an RTX 2060 or better is a lot.

There seems to be much better value for Ryzen over intel, so it was a price choice...

I wasn't aware there was a difference between the SSD in terms of boot up speeds. I'll look into that

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think this is all pretty bad advice to be honest. The 1660 Super is a very good 1080p card and is significantly faster than the gtx1060 (that's assuming it's the 6gb gtx1060, the gtx1060 3gb is way, way slower). The 1660Ti isn't worth an extra £30, they are almost identical, the 1660 super didn't exist when the 1660ti was released. If anything, you are better off getting the rtx2060 for an extra £100, that is genuinely a much faster card.

You would also be much better off spending the extra £30 on upgrading from Ryzen 2600 to 3600 either, which is a much better processor for games. The Ryzen 3600 is the best budget gaming cpu right now, Intel are lagging way behind now in the value stakes, their comparable 9600KF processor is only 6/6 compared to the 6/12 of the 3600, already in some 2019 games the Ryzen wins easily. It wouldn't make sense to go Intel at this budget, none of their processors make logical sense unless you have some niche requirement like a really specific game that prefers Intel.

I also wouldn't worry too much about the nvme, a 'normal' ssd is still extremely fast, processor and graphics card should be priority in a budget build. So if you want to stick within budget, forget the 1660ti, stick with the 1660 super and get the ryzen 3600 instead of the 2600, covers the extra £30 and you've a fine machine. If you absolutely want to throw a little more at it, consider getting the rtx2060, it's a decent step above the 1660 super.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

• Advertisement
Advertisement