Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can people find out your tax returns and mortgage debt

• 05-01-2020 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

My friend is owed several thousand in rent from a small commercial building that he lets. The guy just upped sticks one night after 3 years, and never paid the rest of the money - lease 5 years. My friend was going to sue for the money, but his solicitor told him that from his tenant's tax returns and mortgage debt, there was no point in pursing him. Can a solicitor actually find out details of the tax return of a private citizen, who is not a limited company, and also his mortgage debt - how could this actually happen. I though this information was under GDPR.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is the solicitor talking about the tenants company accounts rather than his personal tax returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 susieball

No, the person's/ex tenant's personal tax return. The ex tenant was operating as a sole trader, I think you would say. No company, just in his own name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

susieball wrote:
    No, the person's/ex tenant's personal tax return. The ex tenant was operating as a sole trader, I think you would say. No company, just in his own name.

Unless he's on the tax defaulters list purplished by the Revenue Commissioner I don't believe the solicitor can see his tax returns as a private individual.

Regardless of what the solicitor can or cannot see I do agree that it's not worth chasing. Usually people who skip without paying & leave debt don't have any money. The business failed & I'm sure rent wasn't the only bill unpaid. I'm betting suppliers, accountant, revenue etc are all owed money. Revenue have first dibs on any assets. Think about it. The advice given by the solicitor is doing the solicitors out of the work. If the solicitor thought there was a chance of winning he/she would jump at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 susieball

Hi! Sleeper12. I agree. I said to my friend it's not worth chasing. It will be loads of stress and not much money. I think he agrees. He was just a bit shocked that a solicitor could know about someone's personal tax return, i.e. the figures on it, as well as the remaining mortgage figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Might the solicitor knows the ex-tenant?

You can find out if someone has a mortgage by accessing the property file, but not how much is owed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Only way I can see that the solicitor could know what's in the tenant's tax return is if the tenant supplied the tax return to him in support of his claim that he couldn't pay the rent and wasn't worth suing.

Advertisement