Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

After seen a waterbsg our how long would you wait before intervening? I seen a cow with a bag out, waited an hour and no progress so I handled her and all was ok, I could get my hand behind calves head and all. (Should have pulled at this stage I’d say, raging). Anyhow left another hour or so and still no progress so got the jack. Calf came with no major difficulty, but dead. I was like a cnut with myself.

I'd take into account how long she was bumming about with her tail out calving before that. I've never handled a cow and let her out of the headlock to calve herself. If I thought progress was slow and the calf is there to be pulled then it's time for the ropes or jack or a vet.

You didn't do anything wrong. Maybe something went wrong and the calf was dead all along, these things happen, no consolation i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

Let the in-calf heifers out to grass on Monday and said I'd bring them back in on the Sunday since the first one was due April 1st(bulls served her on the first day the heifers went to him). Went out to count them yesterday morning to see that heifer running across the field with her tail up. Bit of a panic but got her in well in time. No problems calving once she was in a pen. Calf is perfectly fine being 10 days early too.

Every second year I get caught out with a heifer going 10-14 days early. It must be the change of pen to an open field.

pass the half way point now.
    After seen a waterbsg our how long would you wait before intervening? I seen a cow with a bag out, waited an hour and no progress so I handled her and all was ok, I could get my hand behind calves head and all. (Should have pulled at this stage I’d say, raging). Anyhow left another hour or so and still no progress so got the jack. Calf came with no major difficulty, but dead. I was like a cnut with myself.

The calf was most likely dead but I wouldn't go over 90 mins after the waterbag before intervening. If I had her up the crush its rare I let them back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'd love to get a vet's opnion on this, but this is what I think might be happening here. I think the umbilical cord gets caught around the front off the calf and breaks before it would normally. Calf dies and so doesn't move around in the cervix stimulating the contractions in the cow. Cow is slow to calf then.
    I lost a calf this year the same way.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Cow with vessel out this morning. Calf is alive but shook enough. Have her under the red lamp now waiting for beastings to thaw.

You'll be glad to see the back of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

You'll be glad to see the back of this year.

Definitely, moocall after going off again now. Last springer to calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

After the water bag blister is out, they say one hour for a cow, and two hours for a heifer

I thought it was 2 hours and 3. I’m always certain I only read that this week or last in the journal

tanko wrote: »
    I'd take into account how long she was bumming about with her tail out calving before that. I've never handled a cow and let her out of the headlock to calve herself. If I thought progress was slow and the calf is there to be pulled then it's time for the ropes or jack or a vet.

You didn't do anything wrong. Maybe something went wrong and the calf was dead all along, these things happen, no consolation i know.
    I should have done like you said. When I had her in the crush not let her out. I’d be fairly certain the calf only died shortly before I jacked it. Calmed down now a bit but was demented last night and this morning

I'd love to get a vet's opnion on this, but this is what I think might be happening here. I think the umbilical cord gets caught around the front off the calf and breaks before it would normally. Calf dies and so doesn't move around in the cervix stimulating the contractions in the cow. Cow is slow to calf then.
    I lost a calf this year the same way.

It was strange but the calf couldn’t be presented more perfect and didn’t have to pull overly hard. So she should have had no bother calving him. If I ever get to heaven I’ll ask god.......remember that calf that died that time...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Fair auld lump of a heifer, perked up a bit now.

Some calf.....is it a ch out of a lm.....hopefully all goes well with the cow aswell.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Some calf.....is it a ch out of a lm.....hopefully all goes well with the cow aswell.

Charolais out of charolais. Springer calved a handy little lim heifer herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Charolais out of charolais. Springer calved a handy little lim heifer herself.
    Good to see things maybe turning for you in fairness ur after a bad run of it

High bike wrote: »
    Good to see things maybe turning for you in fairness ur after a bad run of it

Got the ch heifer standing now. She's unnatural, i don't know how the cow put her out alive. Massive shoulders, head and hips and fleshy aswell. I should have kept a closer eye on her, thought there was a few more days in her though. Them big calves take a lot out of a cow though and maybe she didn't spring down fully. Have 2 moocalls and had them on others i thought were closer. Some of its my own fault and some of its misfortune. I'd never mind having to do a section if I had a chance of keeping cow and calf alive.

A picture says a thousand words.

Ya wouldn't carry her too far, any idea what weight she might be?

tanko wrote: »
    Ya wouldn't carry her too far, any idea what weight she might be?

If I had to guess I'd say she's 80-90kg. I might be over estimating it but I don't think I am.

Some brute, i saw a CH bull calf like that off a Belgian Blue cross cow a few years ago at a neighbours place, he broke the calfs leg jacking it and it died a few hours later, should have been a section. The two of us struggled to get him into a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Jaysus, she’s a big lady. Great that she’s standing. You better get that hairdryer back now before someone notices that it’s gone! 😀

Had a lady calve myself this evening. Glad to report no drama whatsoever! Handy heifer calf and was up sucking in half an hour. Only three left to go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Only one overdue to Cloughbrack Navarone for now, she was too far on incalf to scan but it's likely to be a bull knowing the cow. Next due in a fortnight.

Bull alright.
    1min & 30 seconds from feet out to calf on the ground. Don't think she even noticed him coming out :pac: Great to have an ld dame that can be handled, has big bottles of teats so cow stood while I milked her & fed him this morning, could latch him on then at a more respectable hour this morning.

0NY49jih.jpg

Parishlad wrote: »
    Jaysus, she’s a big lady. Great that she’s standing. You better get that hairdryer back now before someone notices that it’s gone! 😀

It was herself that was doing the drying. Cow got up for 10 minutes this morning while I was holding her tail to keep her upright. Some cow to put her out by herself. Still can't believe it.

• Advertisement

It was herself that was doing the drying. Cow got up for 10 minutes this morning while I was holding her tail to keep her upright. Some cow to put her out by herself. Still can't believe it.
    Ah fair play to herself for giving a hand. I was thinking alright they you had fair dainty hands! ðŸ˜႒
    She is some cow alright. Hopefully both will continue to do well now!
    Fine looking bull calf there too. You have been kept busy that’s for sure!

Found a dead calf in the shed this morning. Gutted. Honestly, the first calf I lost, outside of calving, in 14 years of suckling. My own fault. I had him seperated from the cow and let him out at 12 last night. He was very weak but he drank. I should have tubed him electrolyte yesterday but didn't :mad: .................... lets just say it's easier avoid the family drama than deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Found a dead calf in the shed this morning. Gutted. Honestly, the first calf I lost, outside of calving, in 14 years of suckling. My own fault. I had him seperated from the cow and let him out at 12 last night. He was very weak but he drank. I should have tubed him electrolyte yesterday but didn't :mad: .................... lets just say it's easier avoid the family drama than deal with it.

I’m on my third loss here. Another massive bull calf stuck at the hips and cow still down. I’m glad I got rid of that bull. I’d be guessing he’s throwing an average weight of 70 kilos on this years calves. The cows are in reasonable order but nothing spectacular.

I’d a calf with joint ill.......my own fault....cows is a bitch at calving and I couldn’t get navel sprayed properly...cow is an aged aax and this is her last year. Checking calves that I let out on Thursday and one of them had a runny rear end and didn’t look himself...too him to vet.
    Scour and pneumonia....the joys.
    Hopefully they’ll both be fine.

Hey Patsy, as I keep reminding myself when the shyte hits the fan....think of the all the ones you saved that another lad might have missed....it keeps me sane anyway😱

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Section and a dead calf last night. A heifer that was supposed to calve 3 weeks ago. Something else did the deed because it wasn’t an angus that came out.

Just reading the bad run some others are having. I lost 3 out of 15 so far and thought I had a bad run. Hope things start to turn a corner now for everybody

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I’d a calf with joint ill.......my own fault....cows is a bitch at calving and I couldn’t get navel sprayed properly...cow is an aged aax and this is her last year. Checking calves that I let out on Thursday and one of them had a runny rear end and didn’t look himself...too him to vet.
    Scour and pneumonia....the joys.
    Hopefully they’ll both be fine.
    have 12 calved here and spent the last week dosing injecting and tubing 6 of them what a pain in the hole.3 cured and out today then a cow gets mastitis so back in again for more of the same .Sometimes I wonder why I bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Lameness is my disaster this year just can't keep em right. Weighed the autumn calvers yesterday and opening the gate tomorrow and they have all year to recover outside. Every year has something but I can't believe there isn't more of us posting in the depression thread as it can really weigh on you when you have losses like mentioned on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Down to single figures now thanks be ta God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

1 heifer left and all else calves over two weeks at this stage maybe 3. And not much sign of her to spring either.

Hate waiting for the last one. Kept the bull with them till after 1 July in line with the bgdp scheme (sorry can never remember the initials of it). Will learn this way and find a quiet corner for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Lameness is my disaster this year just can't keep em right. Weighed the autumn calvers yesterday and opening the gate tomorrow and they have all year to recover outside. Every year has something but I can't believe there isn't more of us posting in the depression thread as it can really weigh on you when you have losses like mentioned on this thread.

It’s been so disheartening. I guess people are kept going with worry about this disease.
    Teaching/marking online is soul destroying too and much more time consuming. Keep the chin up lad

Dozer1 wrote: »

No point getting too down over it, I have more lost in a month than the last 3 years but when calving is over and they are all off to grass I'll forget about it. I wouldn't let the farm weigh me down too much if things were going badly. My sister was due her first baby last week but unfortunately it had a really rare condition and she lost it a few months ago, there's only the 2 of us and I don't know which of us was more excited. To be honest anything that could happen on the farm pales in comparison to that. I'd rather have had no calf this year than having to see her go through that.

No point getting too down over it, I have more lost in a month than the last 3 years but when calving is over and they are all off to grass I'll forget about it. I wouldn't let the farm weigh me down too much if things were going badly. My sister was due her first baby last week but unfortunately it had a really rare condition and she lost it a few months ago, there's only the 2 of us and I don't know which of us was more excited. To be honest anything that could happen on the farm pales in comparison to that. I'd rather have had no calf this year than having to see her go through that.

That’s a bit of very sad news. I’m sorry for your loss. Better, happier times ahead. Your sister is lucky to have you, you sound really close.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That’s a bit of very sad news. I’m sorry for your loss. Better, happier times ahead. Your sister is lucky to have you, you sound really close.

It's a 1 in nearly a million bit of misfortune but she's over the worst of it now anyway. There's no fear of her but it would put innocuous things that you would be worrying about into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Sorry to hear that but I echo what you’ve said. Been thro the ringer over the last few years inside and for that reason no loss outside causes me a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Bug boy last night. RWS . Don't think I'd manage to lift him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Serious calf. Any problem calving him

Serious calf. Any problem calving him

She was calving over an hour before in out in ropes and then jack, a bit of work but once I had head out I jacked away. Big cow he looks better this am

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

A bad calving season can be really tough. One year I had 2 of my best cows abort for no reason at the same time, department vets were baffled. Another calf had heart failure and dropped dead when I was looking at it from the window. Another healthy calf found dead for no reason in the field a few days alter. Another calf then strangled itself in a square of the sheep wire fence. Nothing I could have done for any of them bar the sheep wire accident but thats just rotten luck.

It can really take it out of you!
    Dunedin wrote: »
    1 heifer left and all else calves over two weeks at this stage maybe 3. And not much sign of her to spring either.

Hate waiting for the last one. Kept the bull with them till after 1 July in line with the bgdp scheme (sorry can never remember the initials of it). Will learn this way and find a quiet corner for him.

I had one heifer get served on the last bull day. She was due 2 weeks after the last one and decided to wait another 10 days on top of that. Glad she held cause she just had her third calf a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Serious front shoulder on him

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Serious front shoulder on him

Finding it hard to get good pic of him. He prob best looking calf here in years since we used AI maybe 15 yrs ago.😂
    Looking forward to see him growing.
    Must ask someone to help lift him to weigh him. Couldn't manage myself this evening. ðŸ˜

Finding it hard to get good pic of him. He prob best looking calf here in years since we used AI maybe 15 yrs ago.��
    Must ask someone to help lift him to weigh him. Couldn't manage myself this evening. ðŸ˜
    must be 80/90 kgs he a beauty

Finding it hard to get good pic of him. He prob best looking calf here in years since we used AI maybe 15 yrs ago.😂

Holy God the power of that fella is unreal!! Best of luck is he able to suck?

Lm heifer born yesterday out of a saler first Calfer. Very quiet saler in fairness with loads of milk

Lm heifer born yesterday out of a saler first Calfer. Very quiet saler in fairness with loads of milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Mint pair

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Holy God the power of that fella is unreal!! Best of luck is he able to suck?

First suck was him in his knees, ya was up a while later sucking away grand.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Mint pair
    The saler is by a BHU saler bull out of a Hereford cow. Good temperament. The heifer is out of a GWO bull
    I have a few Lm replacements for bulling this year and was thinking about giving them a saler AI bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Someone posted on here before they knew they were having twins when the cow got thin before calving. Why would that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Someone posted on here before they knew they were having twins when the cow got thin before calving. Why would that be?

Calf in the cow grows the largest amount of weight in the last 6 weeks. If there is twins they are both taking from the cow at this time and hence the cow gets thin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement