Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

Lm bull last night and heifer this a.m

Both Calved fine and up drinking within half hour

Down to the last 3

Left out the oldest Calvedo cows this morning. ....one if the best days farming when you see them kicking their heels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

50HX wrote: »
    +1 on the multivit

Didn't need it this year yet but did use it twice last year now foundoing it good

Hunger is a great help too, by 2mor the dopeyness of calving should be gone off her

Gave her kick start and pain relief last night.mom too.

Tried her this am, she would suck for seconds and move away. I Was gettin ratty (lack of sleep getting me) because could see her trying over night on camera. They tried her on the other side. Sucked and moved. Then bang. She was all over it. Had the mother tied. Just left them out to see how they'll get on.

Checked the animals that have been out. 2 in calf. One 26 month heifer due to zag next week . Found her down will calf head out. Was ment to move them into shed yesterday. Calf dead one leg not coming. Heifer in trouble. Calving paralysis and just wrecked. Big **** up by me. I'm gutted. Never saw them after the afternoon yestersay. Has me really thinking about giving up with them. This and the last calver feel like I've let them down. 6 more in the next 3 weeks. 1 later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

telmeabit. Calf born a week early by ZAG was probably a still born anyway. ZAG on 2 heifers here, went 292 bull calf and 297 days heifer calf. How is the heifer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

tellmeabit wrote: »

Tried her this am, she would suck for seconds and move away. I Was gettin ratty (lack of sleep getting me) because could see her trying over night on camera. They tried her on the other side. Sucked and moved. Then bang. She was all over it. Had the mother tied. Just left them out to see how they'll get on.

Checked the animals that have been out. 2 in calf. One 26 month heifer due to zag next week . Found her down will calf head out. Was ment to move them into shed yesterday. Calf dead one leg not coming. Heifer in trouble. Calving paralysis and just wrecked. Big **** up by me. I'm gutted. Never saw them after the afternoon yestersay. Has me really thinking about giving up with them. This and the last calver feel like I've let them down. 6 more in the next 3 weeks. 1 later in the year.

That's good news about the calf sucking, that job takes plenty of paitence. Best to keep an eye on them to make sure she lets her suck.

When was the heifer Ai'ed to ZAG? That's tough luck, you can never look at them often enough at this time of year. I've used ZAG a bit on cows and i don't think he's suitable for heifers especially calving at 24-26 months old. They can come big and shapey enough.
    Put easy calving Saler bulls on your heifers, great comfort at calving time with them.
    Things look bad when something like this happens but when you get the rest of them calved and out they'll look a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ladeeen

Have a 3 year old heifer due to ZAG next week, noticed leaking a bit of milk yesterday, bit of slime there as well. Should I be anyway worried? She is indoors on hay, oats and minerals the last 6 weeks.

• Advertisement

telmeabit. Calf born a week early by ZAG was probably a still born anyway. ZAG on 2 heifers here, went 292 bull calf and 297 days heifer calf. How is the heifer?

Under pressure but improving. Trying to stand. Eating away now.

The bull wasn't say after. It was lm4217. And it is 281 says since Ai. For the last 2 calves i going by the calving date that AI gave. Hadn't checked myself the 283 days. Ah sh#t.

tanko wrote: »
    That's good news about the calf sucking, that job takes plenty of paitence. Best to keep an eye on them to make sure she lets her suck.

When was the heifer Ai'ed to ZAG? That's tough luck, you can never look at them often enough at this time of year. I've used ZAG a bit on cows and i don't think he's suitable for heifers especially calving at 24-26 months old. They can come big and shapey enough.
    Put easy calving Saler bulls on your heifers, great comfort at calving time with them.
    Things look bad when something like this happens but when you get the rest of them calved and out they'll look a lot better.

Bull was lm4217 when i check today. I used zag and saler and Blonde last year on maidens. Found zag easiest calved to be fair. Maybe the younger calving or else my management of them hasn't helped. Choice of replacement maybe

Ya. I've them out the back of house watching her. She sucked once for sure. But will bring them in shortly for another kick start and make sure she drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ladeeen wrote: »
    Have a 3 year old heifer due to ZAG next week, noticed leaking a bit of milk yesterday, bit of slime there as well. Should I be anyway worried? She is indoors on hay, oats and minerals the last 6 weeks.

Nope, youll know next week,
    A heifer on this farm will always be put to calf at 2 year old anymore, more trouble with the e stronger heifers imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

One of the busiest days calving this spring here today. 6 calves since 12, 4 fr heifers and 2 bulls. Jacked one heifer during milking and milked her to feed the calf.

The machine was barely off before starting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

ive been thinking of getting out this year as well. pure hardship and nearly scared to check them. im up to seven calves lost and a cow. Yesterdays was one of the most annoying, a nice two week old limx blue heifer decided to drown herself.

• Advertisement

Ladeeen wrote: »

When was she Ai'ed?
    She might be going to calve a lot sooner than you think. If she's going to have twins she'll calve a week earlier than normal also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ch heifer.maybe 27 months. Asked for ZAG or easy calving lm. What's what he gave. Not my normal Ai guy.

The want to suck is gone on the calf. Maybe because it's full now, but if not any trick to encourage suck

Forget honey and all that other messing. Google “Madigan Squeeze Technique” when I think of all the hours of my life I wasted messing with calves that wouldn’t suck when this works so well

Forget honey and all that other messing. Google “Madigan Squeeze Technique” when I think of all the hours of my life I wasted messing with calves that wouldn’t suck when this works so well
    Have you had much success? i presme you used ropes on the calf for 30 mins and how quick with success?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You'll have to throw up some pics.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Who2 wrote: »
    Have you had much success? i presme you used ropes on the calf for 30 mins and how quick with success?

I tried it for the first tin last week.
    Calf was 36hours old and had been tubed twice at that stage
    Wrapped him tight around the chest with a strap (no knots or tie around the neck like in the photos)
    Milked the cow out a bit more for 10 minutes
    Came back and instantly he was sucking
    And when I say sucking he’d take the chrome off a ball hitch.

And I’m done!
    Grand lively VUL calf out of a APZ 3rd calver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I tried it for the first tin last week.
    Calf was 36hours old and had been tubed twice at that stage
    Wrapped him tight around the chest with a strap (no knots or tie around the neck like in the photos)
    Milked the cow out a bit more for 10 minutes
    Came back and instantly he was sucking
    And when I say sucking he’d take the chrome off a ball hitch.

I was nearly having to do that this year.

Did the calf go to sleep like they show the foals doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Pity I didn't know bout that 6 weeks ago, had a fecker of a bull calf that broke my heart for 3 days before I got him going

I was nearly having to do that this year.

Did the calf go to sleep like they show the foals doing?

No but he was fairly relaxed

ive been thinking of getting out this year as well. pure hardship and nearly scared to check them. im up to seven calves lost and a cow. Yesterdays was one of the most annoying, a nice two week old limx blue heifer decided to drown herself.

Cows went ok this year thank god but ewes were hardship, what went wrong with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Cows went ok this year thank god but ewes were hardship, what went wrong with them?
    A sheep farmer neighbour buys a few bales of straw every week during the lambing season from us and he was saying the same. He had pure hardship lambing with mostly ewes (and a few lambs) dying. He couldn't figure it out when I asked him what the problem was. He said that he is thinking of reducing the sheep numbers and increasing the cattle.

Massive calves from some cows I’d 3 cows down at the one stage, I rarely have one. I’m actually around more with this corona thing so it’s not that. The last calf rolled in under a fence and drowned in the only place in a drain that had a bit of water. I only put the fence up a week ago .it was open for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

One of the busiest days calving this spring here today. 6 calves since 12, 4 fr heifers and 2 bulls. Jacked one heifer during milking and milked her to feed the calf.

The machine was barely off before starting again.

You must of synchronized the late calvers? You got many left? Still 20 to calf here, hangover from the tb, I culled very little last year, just left the bull in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

20 left here as well. I've had more big calves this year as well than I've had in a long time. 2 heifers were fecked after it, down and one needed shackles for 3 weeks, they are dry and 3 more I'm considering drying off as it took so much out of them. Have a cow calved a HE bull to SPL that has paralysis on the right side and with the dry weather the parlour yard is too dangerous for her but 3 calves are keeping her ticking over. Had hoped to be at 130 to 135 this year but id say 126 will be as far as I go as a few high scc ones to go as well. She you have the numbers you want you seem to have loads coming in but trying to get back up to numbers seems to take forever, esp when tb took sonmany of the solid cows

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

And I’m done!
    Grand lively VUL calf out of a APZ 3rd calver

How do you find the APZ cow for milk?
    Ai'd a cow to APZ few years back, calf came a lovely colour, bull of course. See P.G have him back again this year. Am thinking of using him on her again and try get a heifer this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yeh I'm unlikely to get the peak yield I'd hoped this year, 25l will be the height of it if I'm lucky, I've hung onto too many very average cows. A cow doing 15/18l is still better off milked on the summer rather than culled I find. I'll still end up with over 130 which is the best part of 20 over my peak numbers last year so I can't complain too much, bar we get a serious drought, then them passengers will have to go.

RD10 wrote: »

Ai'd a cow to APZ few years back, calf came a lovely colour, bull of course. See P.G have him back again this year. Am thinking of using him on her again and try get a heifer this time.

Oh no shortage of milk but she was out of an excellent BBxFR cow

He had a miraculous conception and calved at 19 months old but she calved herself to be fair.

She’s an ok cow but not a patch on her IS4 herdmates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone use SPL? Having baters of calves off him the fcukers. Thought a polled HE would be easier calving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Timmaay wrote: »
    You must of synchronized the late calvers? You got many left? Still 20 to calf here, hangover from the tb, I culled very little last year, just left the bull in.

No, didn't sync any late ones. The few that I have dates for are a week to 10 days ahead of time. I see it here fairly often with late ones, they get a fit of calving down together for some reason. You see animals that are ages away and next day you look and they have a big bag and on the point of calving after bagging up overnight.

Have about 20 left here as well, they'll be tipping away for the next few weeks. We'll get most of a lactation out of them and hopefully bring a good share of them back a month or 6 weeks once they have no calving difficulty.

Ours slipped due to getting a shot of IBR a few years ago and TB complicates things as well with more cattle we didn't want at all having to be kept. Due a TB test at the end of the month as well:(

• Advertisement

RD10 wrote: »

I wouldn't use APZ, kept two heifers off him a few years ago, they wouldn't calve a mouse by themselves.
    If you're using PG I'd go for Curaheen Earp, i think he's a real good bull. Have two heifers off him calved this week, well able to calve, seem to have plenty of milk even tho they're not off milky cows, good beefy heifers.
    Good bull calves off him too. Earp isn't hard calved either, is suitable for second calvers i think.

When was she Ai'ed?
    She might be going to calve a lot sooner than you think. If she's going to have twins she'll calve a week earlier than normal also.

She was A.I’d the 3rd July, I’ve used ZAG before, always had him go a few days over. I had heard that before with twins, will keep an eye on her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

YOU WERE LUCKY

Supoose sometimes a few things come all together and gets you thinking.

Finished off the day with a nice dbz bull calf. Wondering am i rushing in. Bag was out since 8 and by 11 the toes only showing. Pull with jack. Didn't think he would come.rang vet. He said give it another hour. Cow started pushing good then but little progress. Jack on the. Got him out by 12.30. I always thought once the water bag burst 2 hours for a cow.

My heifer from yestersay has walked to the girls at the house from a spot I didn't think she'd ever get out of. Yesterday wasn't as bad as I was thinking after.

When was she Ai'ed?

She did indeed calve a lot sooner! Calved around 2 today, bit of a pull with ropes, big bull up sucking in about 25 mins. One heifer left now, in-calf to a Curraheen Earp stock bull.

Good stuff, once you see milk coming they don't be long calving after.
    Had a cow that was Ai'ed to XCD on July 1st calve this morning., thought she'd go a few more days, she caught me by surprise but a nice bull calf up sucking when i checked her. Eight left here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

There’ll be nothing here today. That’s a week tomorrow off calving and that is bliss. Waiting on a sim/Fr heifer she should be next da reckons tomorrow but I think a bit longer. Bit of freedom allowed us to tag and horn the last few and squeeze the autumn bulls before weaning.

Got 6 cows and 3 heifers out with the bull gonna add 3 more tomorrow and then space it out a bit to calve in roughly tens then maybe get a week break. That big slap of calvings is tough on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

2 cows left to calve here. Told myself I was getting rid of May calving last year so pulled the bulls out for May 1st. I should be able to pull it back another week this year.

Wee surprise this morning one we weren’t watching too tight yet calved a nice lim heifer calf. Four to go thank God

Wee surprise this morning one we weren’t watching too tight yet calved a nice lim heifer calf. Four to go thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

Biscuitus wrote: »
    2 cows left to calve here.

Let them out to the yard so I could give their pen a small mucking out and bedding to make it as comfortable as possible. Turned around to see they busted open a gate and were out in the nearest paddock. Well if they are that determined they can stay out on grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Lovely shock the morning. A 2nd Calver went 10 days early ai'd to Zag so thought we would have abit of trouble. I moved her to the pin, she pops out a bull & then 5min later a suprise heifer!!, all herself. 2 smallish calves but lively, up & sucking in an hour. 14 down, 5 left now over the next 6 weeks. Going to be a drag the last few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Had 2 calve last night. First was a Lm cow. Calf coming upside down. Got him turned but him head kept dropping down. She very roomy inside. Vet landed. Put on a head rope to hold his head up and jacked out a Ch bull by CH4159.
    Then another one decided to join the party. A pure bred Sim cow No issues here. She very quiet. Jacked out a Ch bull by ch4160. She never lifted her head out of the bucket of nuts as she calfed. That's me done. All calfed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

First picture is the CH4159 bull
    Second picture is the ch4160 bull.

Great looking cows and calves! You’re red up great and early

4159 is a better bull, the 4160 are a bit low and a touch lighter imo

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gudstock

Have the last few in a bare haggard by the sheds getting hay.
    No cameras now though, and of course they won't let me check the pins getting up during the night is getting old quickly.
    Had one on Saturday that I thought was further away than she turned out, checked them at around 2pm, nothing close, doing jobs around the yard and checked again at 7, Ptx calved twin sim bulls, one alive and one dead. Very small light calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

You may recall that I had a calf born back at the start of Feb who was completely knuckled in all four legs. He couldn’t stand for ages and I had to milk the cow and bottle feed him. When he eventually stood he was knuckling on all four legs. I spent loads of time with him every evening massaging and stretching out the tendons as best I could. He came good on the front legs after about three weeks. The back legs seemed like they would never straighten and I had almost given up hope. One evening I went to the shed and he was standing good on the back right leg. Three days later the left one came good. This was about seven weeks after he was born. I danced a jig when I saw how he had improved. Anyway, this is him today......:)

250BC0E7-546E-4145-8E3C-D570AE052523.jpeg

Parishlad wrote: »
    You may recall that I had a calf born back at the start of Feb who was completely knuckled in all four legs. He couldn’t stand for ages and I had to milk the cow and bottle feed him. When he eventually stood he was knuckling on all four legs. I spent loads of time with him every evening massaging and stretching out the tendons as best I could. He came good on the front legs after about three weeks. The back legs seemed like they would never straighten and I had almost given up hope. One evening I went to the shed and he was standing good on the back right leg. Three days later the left one came good. This was about seven weeks after he was born. I danced a jig when I saw how he had improved. Anyway, this is him today......:)

250BC0E7-546E-4145-8E3C-D570AE052523.jpeg

Lovin that great calf!! We had several lads that took an age to straighten too and there’s a splint on the last lad doing a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

And we're done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Tiniest heifer calf ever just landed by either Gamin or our rogue THZ bull. DNA testing for her will figure it out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement