Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Tiniest heifer calf ever just landed by either Gamin or our rogue THZ bull. DNA testing for her will figure it out!

Ive 3 calves off a lm weanling this year, there's absolutely **** of calves. Some dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Tiniest calf I've ever seen! Though to be fair the cow was so light I was wondering if she was incalf at all a fortnight ago.

https://twitter.com/LadyHaywire/status/1252292946361188353

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Tiniest calf I've ever seen! Though to be fair the cow was so light I was wondering if she was incalf at all a fortnight ago.

jaysus she’s small, had a little aa bull calf here a few yrs ago about the same size and he did ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Now lady haywire you need to keep us updated on the progress of the little one. Good luck with her an excellent stock woman like yourself will make a great job of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's funny that the one person on here willing to use really hard calving bulls ends up with the tiniest calf of all. Judging by the way she's hopping around, I'd say she'll be fine.

I have a heifer myself here now, starting to calf now. Blister out.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

It's funny that the one person on here willing to use really hard calving bulls ends up with the tiniest calf of all. Judging by the way she's hopping around, I'd say she'll be fine.

well patsy boy or a girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Maybe having a tiny calf could be genetic, or a hard calving the previous year, twins the previous year, back in calf too soon after calving, cow putting all the feeding into herself. Only ever had one tiny calf, weak from birth and didn't survive the day.

High bike wrote: »
    well patsy boy or a girl
    Heifer thank God. I think if it was a bull it might have been trouble.
    Murphy's Law- just as i drove into the field with calving Jack and all the gear to put her in the shed and she stood up and turned around. She was out flat with head on the ground for a long time before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Lovely big brown LM Knell heifer out of a black HEx heifer yesterday evening! She was on the list to cull last year as we always calve down at 2ish & she was too small to bull back then. Held to fatten & last minute decision but really delighted now. She's a grand cow now & calved herself

Really impressed with LM bull knell.

• Advertisement

Heifer thank God. I think if it was a bull it might have been trouble.
    Murphy's Law- just as i drove into the field with calving Jack and all the gear to put her in the shed and she stood up and turned around. She was out flat with head on the ground for a long time before.
    fine looking heifer Patsy what’s she by,what’s the calf by?

fine looking heifer Patsy what’s she by,what’s the calf by?

Heifer is Foreman x Fieldson Alfy, calf is by a Roundhill 1/2 polled stock bull. I bought her last year in-calf at a dispersal sale. A relief now that she is calved. All the others are in calf to well proven easy calving bulls so should be ok.

Heifer is Foreman x Fieldson Alfy, calf is by a Roundhill 1/2 polled stock bull. I bought her last year in-calf at a dispersal sale. A relief now that she is calved. All the others are in calf to well proven easy calving bulls so should be ok.
    she seems to have a nice drop of milk,what age 30 mts?

She seems to have a nice drop of milk,what age 30 mts?

She has a lot of milk alright, suprised to be honest. Very quiet too. She's 3 years in June.
    I hope to cross her back to an easy type bull. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Is she the one you bought in Gortalea last year? Looks a well shaped heifer

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Is she the one you bought in Gortalea last year? Looks a well shaped heifer

Ya, that's her. She's quiet, which is everything for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hi Patsy, She is a fine heifer, nice when they come good like that. I normally calve the pb heifers at 24 months but thinking of changing that....seems to be too much on them, I’m thinking 30 months calving down going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gudstock

Lovely big brown LM Knell heifer out of a black HEx heifer yesterday evening! She was on the list to cull last year as we always calve down at 2ish & she was too small to bull back then. Held to fatten & last minute decision but really delighted now. She's a grand cow now & calved herself

Really impressed with LM bull knell.
    Big fan of LM4217 Knell here. Easy calving, frame and thick and shapey. Have 3 heifers off of him and will be using him again this year. I'd say much better than ZAG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Gudstock wrote: »
    Big fan of LM4217 Knell here. Easy calving, frame and thick and shapey. Have 3 heifers off of him and will be using him again this year. I'd say much better than ZAG.

Is he easy calved on heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Some unit of a calf

Hindquarters, one leg had gone down and he lucky to make it ! If he does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

sonnybill wrote: »
    Hindquarters, one leg had gone down and he lucky to make it ! If he does

Fine calf whats he by? Levi or mischief?

Fine calf whats he by? Levi or mischief?

Stock bull, dam of which had some cf52 in her I think

Did you have to jack him, can he stand up?

tanko wrote: »
    Did you have to jack him, can he stand up?

Oh jack was required indeed, had to get whole swollen head and left leg back into her to get that right leg.

Went to vet and got 2 shots, he can stand but badly but cow is up but wobbly , I’ll see how he is in another couple hours

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Very happy with him here as well. Saying that I haven’t used him in over a year. Used Loyal last year and Lexicon/Ivor/ Norman inventor this year.
    This is a pb heifer. Ai’d to Lexicon last week. Picture doesn’t do her any justice.

Oh jack was required indeed, had to get whole swollen head and left leg back into her to get that right leg.

Went to vet and got 2 shots, he can stand but badly but cow is up but wobbly , I’ll see how he is in another couple hours

He made it thank god

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi Patsy, She is a fine heifer, nice when they come good like that. I normally calve the pb heifers at 24 months but thinking of changing that....seems to be too much on them, I’m thinking 30 months calving down going forward.

She was as big when I bought her last year as she is now. If she was bred here she would have calved late last year.

Is he easy calved on heifers?

I put him on 6 heifers this year. 4 calved themselves, with 5 calving at ~24 months old. Remaining 2, One came premature, vet said 2-3weeks early. Think she got a puck so bit of pull there but one of my best heifers now after couple of weeks out. One big pull/borderline vet needed as heifer stopped growing after being bulled last year!! These would have being a mix of aax, hex & LMX from dairy calves we rared.

Overall very easy calved & quiet calves! I'll be using him again this year. Not sure where the 1 star docility comes from tho! I've 2 AA calves that are nuts compared to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’ve got him in 5 of the autumn girls so it’s great to hear that. They’re shaping up well now

So the girl we argued over would it be Monday or Tuesday last week calved on Tuesday this week! Nice strong black heifer calf from our own bull. I need to think back but she’s the smallest and poorest of all this years heifers and the only one to calve herself! Oops no 2 others did but they had 6 and 3 months on her

• Advertisement

He made it thank god

How is he now?

Had a heifer calve a tiny tot Saler heifer this evening, she's the smallest calf i've ever seen, small for even a Saler but was up and sucking in less than twenty minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 farmec1001

I put him on 6 heifers this year. 4 calved themselves, with 5 calving at ~24 months old. Remaining 2, One came premature, vet said 2-3weeks early. Think she got a puck so bit of pull there but one of my best heifers now after couple of weeks out. One big pull/borderline vet needed as heifer stopped growing after being bulled last year!! These would have being a mix of aax, hex & LMX from dairy calves we rared.

Overall very easy calved & quiet calves! I'll be using him again this year. Not sure where the 1 star docility comes from tho! I've 2 AA calves that are nuts compared to them

I used him on 4, 3 that calved fine at 30 months old, trouble with a 3 yr old, my own fault i think 3 yr old too old to calve first as beefy heifers are too fleshy putting a lot of flesh onto the calf too.
    Ideal bull for plainer type maidens and second calvers i think (i am gone conservative to only aa/saler/aubrac on maidens all calving at 24 months for peace of mind)

How is he now?

Had a heifer calve a tiny tot Saler heifer this evening, she's the smallest calf i've ever seen, small for even a Saler but was up and sucking in less than twenty minutes.

He can stand and suck but as tongue a bit swollen still he not great to curl the tongue and pull teat towards him into mouth so I have to help him latch on but he will be fine.

Think she is “use limo only type cow now!” Or else have to starve her as she was massive, she on hill since 06th Oct so rising 7 months and they got no meal whatsoever and average quality bales since Xmas

jaysus she’s small, had a little aa bull calf here a few yrs ago about the same size and he did ok
    jimini0 wrote: »
    Now lady haywire you need to keep us updated on the progress of the little one. Good luck with her an excellent stock woman like yourself will make a great job of her.

Looked at the teeth on her this evening, still rather underdeveloped. Now the (supposedly subfertile)bull was with them but I seen zero sign of her repeating and she was bagging up normal with the others instead of directly into calving like other premmies I've seen. Was debating it there and could have been an issue with the cord or maybe a twin & one reabsorbed. I'll never know. But she's a mighty little thing to cheer anyone up watching her!! I can still pick her up under one arm like a lamb though :D

Have two other pb limos out with her, she's like a little doll compared to them. One is video is definitely by our own bull. The bigger fella on the left obv.

https://twitter.com/LadyHaywire/status/1253229107783008258

Some chorus of birds singing there. You might want to delay tagging her. The weight of the tags might be too much for her. :rolleyes:

Some chorus of birds singing there. You might want to delay tagging her. The weight of the tags might be too much for her. :rolleyes:

Yea I'm going to wait a wee while longer before the tags :pac: Has little horn buds though. Just bizarre how she came so small. Was just down with her there & luckily she lies in the same place or I'd be forever searching for her, she curls up like a fawn.

Looked at the teeth on her this evening, still rather underdeveloped. Now the (supposedly subfertile)bull was with them but I seen zero sign of her repeating and she was bagging up normal with the others instead of directly into calving like other premmies I've seen. Was debating it there and could have been an issue with the cord or maybe a twin & one reabsorbed. I'll never know. But she's a mighty little thing to cheer anyone up watching her!! I can still pick her up under one arm like a lamb though :D

Have two other pb limos out with her, she's like a little doll compared to them. One is video is definitely by our own bull. The bigger fella on the left obv.

https://twitter.com/LadyHaywire/status/1253229107783008258
    no fear of her she’s hardy out

no fear of her she’s hardy out

Tried to weigh her this evening, have no agri scales so my trusty digital bathroom one was used & I lifted calf & weighed us both, then subtracted me :D
    So calf is in & around 20kg, give or take, as she was a little wriggly thing.

Here's a bit of a comparison to a heifers bull calf by Loyal on the right, born about 48 hours after. The heifer herself is off the cow on the left too, ZXT girl.

h1hrE9Mh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

826D60B9-C0A9-4F1B-9A52-72E0E5FD40E2.jpeg

This lady arrived earlier this evening. Cow calved fine on her own and calf was up by herself and sucking in half an hour. Just over a month since the last one calved. Have 2 stragglers left to calve now.

• Advertisement

Parishlad wrote: »
    826D60B9-C0A9-4F1B-9A52-72E0E5FD40E2.jpeg

This lady arrived earlier this evening. Cow calved fine on her own and calf was up by herself and sucking in half an hour. Just over a month since the last one calved. Have 2 stragglers left to calve now.

Lovely outfit that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

49806328387_810f24f790_z.jpgIMG_20200418_174324 by Emaherx, on Flickr
    Mam..... Can I have friends over for dinner?

I have a few cows like this who feed half the field, one of these calves is actually an orphan and is feeding from several cows, I wonder how this skews the results from the BEEP scheame on cow performance?

emaherx wrote: »
    49806328387_810f24f790_z.jpgIMG_20200418_174324 by Emaherx, on Flickr
    Mam..... Can I have friends over for dinner?

I have a few cows like this who feed half the field, one of these calves is actually an orphan and is feeding from several cows, I wonder how this skews the results from the BEEP scheame on cow performance?
    what about social distancing

emaherx wrote: »

We have the same thing here. It's driving my father daft! As the calves that are doing it their mothers have loads of milk. He's blaming the LM breed as we never had a problem with AAs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

2 yesterday morning..both off stock bull. Pic 1 and 2 are bull. 3rd one heifer. The bull front legs are bit wonky. Not sure why. Couple like this this year. Would it be the pulling or how They were inside?

^ Selenium/Vit E injection clears that up but it'll straighten in about a week naturally. Usually just the cow lacking in minerals a bit.
    Nice calf anyhow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

^ Selenium/Vit E injection clears that up but it'll straighten in about a week naturally. Usually just the cow lacking in minerals a bit.
    Nice calf anyhow!
    Only had only leg coming when calving so had to straighten it. Ya may be minerals alright . Cow was on them while inside but nothing the last few weeks. Cow isn't in as good condition as she normally is. Thanks

Three to go, hopefully within the next week.

Watching a cow with pins down since 3.30 am yesterday morning, Taking turns to watch her tonight. She calved a fine heifer calf 1 am, her ninth calf. Her teats are very low. Calf lively but wouldn't suck, propped calf under her, probably the unnatural position didn't help. had to be stomach tubed.

From past experience, it is usually 6 hours after the pins drop to calving. Was getting really worried as the day went on.

A cup of tea now and toddling off to bed.

This is going to take a few days of torture.

Still cant figure it out.jpg

It's like a throwback to days when we had Charolais calves, lazy as sin. This calf is tall and the udder is low slung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

8 left once this one calves here soon. Effort of these last few. Sunday evening after a long milking tail painting and all that to get ready for breeding tomorrow ugh. Maybe one year I'll finish calving before breeding, but not this year ha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement