Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Timmaay wrote: »
    8 left once this one calves here soon. Effort of these last few. Sunday evening after a long milking tail painting and all that to get ready for breeding tomorrow ugh. Maybe one year I'll finish calving before breeding, but not this year ha.

OK Tim stop complaining when you don't even need to get out of the tractor, she calved no bother herself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    OK Tim stop complaining when you don't even need to get out of the tractor, she calved no bother herself!

Lovely job. 7 left here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The roan heifer calved this evening, by herself. She had a heifer calf that was on it's feet in minutes and sucking within 10 minutes. I wasn't expecting her to calve until next week but she surprised us all. I had to move her to another pen after she calved as she was in with two other heifers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote:

That what you spray the naval with!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Base price wrote: »
    The roan heifer calved this evening, by herself. She had a heifer calf that was on it's feet in minutes and sucking within 10 minutes. I wasn't expecting her to calve until next week but she surprised us all. I had to move her to another pen after she calved as she was in with two other heifers.

What breed?

What breed?
    Suppose to be pb shorthorn by Buncraggy Fire Fox but I have my doubts this morning now the calf is fully dry. I will have to get a test done in Wetherbys cause I think it might be by a weanling AAx bull that was about at the time. She has a black nose and black tip on it's tail.

Anyone know the procedure for getting a test done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Suppose to be pb shorthorn by Buncraggy Fire Fox but I have my doubts this morning now the calf is fully dry. I will have to get a test done in Wetherbys cause I think it might be by a weanling AAx bull that was about at the time. She has a black nose and black tip on it's tail.

Are you in the genonics scheme? If so, you can do it as part of that. ICBF will then get back to you and tell you if the sire you have inputted is right or not.
    Sire has to be on the databse for this to work.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Are you in the genonics scheme? If so, you can do it as part of that. ICBF will then get back to you and tell you if the sire you have inputted is right or not.
    Sire has to be on the databse for this to work.
    Not in the genomics scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ya was thinking that , a disaster

Ya was thinking that , a disaster
    A disappointment yes but not a disaster. The heifer calved by herself and I have a live calf on the ground that will make a suckler at some stage.

The mad thing is the AAx is out of a dairy shorthorn cow so the little calf should be milky in time. I was just looking back on the blue book and the AAx was 8 months old.
    I've ordered a hair test kit from Wetherbys just to satisfy my curiosity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A disappointment yes but not a disaster. The heifer calved by herself and I have a live calf on the ground that will make a suckler at some stage.

The mad thing is the AAx is out of a dairy shorthorn cow so the little calf should be milky in time. I was just looking back on the blue book and the AAx was 8 months old.
    I've ordered a hair test kit from Wetherbys just to satisfy my curiosity.

She’ll make a nice suckler cow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

At last she is getting the hang of it. Precisely at 9:15 pm tonight.
    success at last.jpg

Went to check on the HEX, small heifer calf standing beside her. Brought her into the shed, calf not fully dry and had already drank. Took the sting out of the carry on with the other one.

Two to go now.

She’ll make a nice suckler cow
    Hopefully she stays healthy and will be eventually join my small but growing suckler herd.
    I just need to name her so any F&F suggestions are welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Small ZAG heifer yesterday evening. The last 4 are out on grass so checked on them at 6 & when i looked again at 9 there was a calf running around!! Very lively & no bother sucking. Some difference when they calve outside. Surprised by ZAG tho, small calf from usually a good cow whose last 2 calves were big AA heifers. Anyway shes alive & kicking so shouldn't really complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Somehow I went from 4 left to calf last week back up to 10 this week. Have 3 heifers that weren't supposed to be in calf softening and bought another 3 aswell that I didn't really need. I'll never get sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

Tank of a zch bull this evening after 308 days

One left to go......come on to buck:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

50HX wrote: »
    Tank of a zch bull this evening after 308 days

One left to go......come on to buck:D

308 days ! Is that a record.

All done here. Last one calved yesterday. Autumn calvers starting in September

First Gamin (ZGM) calf born last night. Fine bull. Average size and nice shape to him already. This calving out doors is a great job. Never had to put a hand on either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

First Gamin (ZGM) calf born last night. Fine bull. Average size and nice shape to him already. This calving out doors is a great job. Never had to put a hand on either of them.

I tend to calf them all outside, (don't start calving until the end of March) 99 times out of 100 they calf away themselves without any issue and the calf tends to be healthier as well, don't pick up scours etc (could happen in my places as I buy calves to bucket feed). I also find cows calf quicker outside once all is going ok. However the last two I had to bring in to take the calves, Twin heifers to a heifer @ 3am on Saturday morning, and then on Monday a very big LM calf twisted in the cow, Thankfully all 3 are going on fine now. 1 left now but she isn't until June, a faithful old girl that when she repeated in September last year I hadn't the heart to but on the cull list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Great job indeed when it goes well, only issue is if the cow isn't quiet, you have crazy calves for a while until they hit the creep feeder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Blast of early bvd samples gone missing in post. Posted same day in 2 groups at the same time. Results for one batch and the other missing. Sick to dead of this bvd scheme, now have to hassle of replacment tags, getting them in and tagging them. Sooner this gravey train for everyone, bar the farmer ends the better.

Blast of early bvd samples gone missing in post. Posted same day in 2 groups at the same time. Results for one batch and the other missing. Sick to dead of this bvd scheme, now have to hassle of replacment tags, getting them in and tagging them. Sooner this gravey train for everyone, bar the farmer ends the better.

A farmer was telling me something similar the other day. He posted 2 batches only got 1 set of results. Ordered tags for missing ones and then got a text of the results. Would have been 6weeks after he posted original samples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I doubt it's going to end at all. The Dept are currently scaling up the testing of tags for parentage information. This year was the second year of the trial, iirc, and they had more than doubled the numbers participating in the scheme.

whelan2 wrote: »
    A farmer was telling me something similar the other day. He posted 2 batches only got 1 set of results. Ordered tags for missing ones and then got a text of the results. Would have been 6weeks after he posted original samples

It's all cost and hassle. Small bit of goodwill from the dept to cover cost of the retags would help confidence in the scheme. Would be rightly pee'd off if I was selling calves

• Advertisement

I doubt it's going to end at all. The Dept are currently scaling up the testing of tags for parentage information. This year was the second year of the trial, iirc, and they had more than doubled the numbers participating in the scheme.

Keeping handy jobs for the boys, now that the bvd scheme is as good as done

Keeping handy jobs for the boys, now that the bvd scheme is as good as done

Labs could be focusing more on Covid testing if they didn’t have BVD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

308 days ! Is that a record.

It's the most time any cow I have had carry anyway

At 280 days she was dry and solid out...didn't take much notice as she always goes a bit with time

At 290 days no even hint of a springing, twas 300 days before she started to soften

Moocall went off, I went out to check her...clubs out, went in home changed and washed out feeding bottle

Went I went to shed again there he was shaking he'said head

Must get a photo up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

is that a purebred calf Patsy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Wait til you see the end and top on him in a few weeks, great muscle to them.

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    is that a purebred calf Patsy?

Ya, out of the Norman Inventor cow I have.

tanko wrote: »
    Wait til you see the end and top on him in a few weeks, great muscle to them.

I've seen a lot of very good stock by him (gamin) at pedigree sales.

Have you ever tried the Lim bull Excel in Bova?

I've seen a lot of very good stock by him (gamin) at pedigree sales.

Have you ever tried the Lim bull Excel in Bova?

No, don't know anything about him.

Have a couple of his straws off him and a couple On Dit might go one of each on a Sympa and an Altea

Have a couple of his straws off him and a couple On Dit might go one of each on a Sympa and an Altea

Be careful what you put the On-Dit straws on, he's a very leggy bull. A great bull on the right cow tho.

tanko wrote: »
    Be careful what you put the On-Dit straws on, he's a very leggy bull. A great bull on the right cow tho.

I put him in a ZAG heifer yesterday.

^^ Excellent cross there. ZAG's are butty alright.

Interesting one, got a roan heifer last night. Def off a limo bull, probably our own 'infertile' returnee:rolleyes:
    Dam is a goldie Salers off a gold ch/lm cow. Grand dam was a white ch. Sire being LM I was expecting a solid colour calf. Not complaining with the roan as they're always a good seller but wondering where the throwback came from!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That’s us down to the last two nice tight lim bull calf with a very slight pullCalved round 2. Swinging his tail now

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Didn’t she do well.. char bull caught her at 16.5 months

A Cavelands Jolly bull finishes us off for a few weeks, just two stragglers left carrying LM heifers.

5mmTrxqh.jpg

• Advertisement

First of the accidentally in calf 2yo calved a handy little ch heifer by herself this morning. Hope the other 2 work out as handy.

A Cavelands Jolly bull finishes us off for a few weeks, just two stragglers left carrying LM heifers.

5mmTrxqh.jpg
    u seem to like cavelands jolly hadn't u calves off him last year too

u seem to like cavelands jolly hadn't u calves off him last year too

Just the one last year, liked her so much I used him on the same cow again & this is the result. So i've technically only used him twice, on the one cow :D

Just the one last year, liked her so much I used him on the same cow again & this is the result. So i've technically only used him twice, on the one cow :D

Cavelands Jolly was bred by the secetary of the Limousin Society. Interesting pedigree as he's by Ionesco, who's great for fertility but poor milk and then Ronick Hawk who is good for both.

Cavelands Jolly was bred by the secetary of the Limousin Society. Interesting pedigree as he's by Ionesco, who's great for fertility but poor milk and then Ronick Hawk who is good for both.

I just liked the look of him in the book, didn't really go looking much at the pedigree tbh, you're far better for that than me! Most of our PB limos go back to Navarin so are good for milk. All except the cow above, so have Navarin written down for her this year.
    Yes, I have bulls picked for the coming year before they calve, what of it :pac::P

I just liked the look of him in the book, didn't really go looking much at the pedigree tbh, you're far better for that than me! Most of our PB limos go back to Navarin so are good for milk. All except the cow above, so have Navarin written down for her this year.
    Yes, I have bulls picked for the coming year before they calve, what of it :pac::P

Would his stars come against you?
    Is he hard calved or why is he graded so bad?

Would his stars come against you?
    Is he hard calved or why is he graded so bad?

Dunno why he's graded bad, always had nice stock out of him. Carcass weight is prob a bit low as he's more maternal.
    That cow has low stars anyway so unless I go for something ridiculously maternal it'll not have the stars in replacement, only terminal. I'd just be hoping for a heifer to keep on, wouldn't be too bothered about stars, as a nice looking bull will always find a buyer.

Hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Hmmm....

Remind us....what kind of bull do you have? :D

• Advertisement

Hmmm....
    sure every family has a black sheep:p

Advertisement