Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

Hmmm....

seems someone had it in for your bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Remind us....what kind of bull do you have? :D

A sniper bull

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

tanko wrote: »
    How is he now?

Had a heifer calve a tiny tot Saler heifer this evening, she's the smallest calf i've ever seen, small for even a Saler but was up and sucking in less than twenty minutes.

He sailing now 🀙 I’m counting this lad one I really shouldn’t have but great to have him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Hmmm....
    Register him as an Angus and then with the AA bonus in the factory he will be worth a right few €€€€€€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Cavelands Jolly was bred by the secetary of the Limousin Society. Interesting pedigree as he's by Ionesco, who's great for fertility but poor milk and then Ronick Hawk who is good for both.

I used Ionesco a fair bit about ten years ago. Easy calved, he bred pure tanks of heifers but bulls weren't as good.
    Kept several cows off him, only one left now. Brutes of cows with good docility and fertility, not the best for milk but just enough most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I used Ionesco a fair bit about ten years ago. Easy calved, he bred pure tanks of heifers but bulls weren't as good.
    Kept several cows off him, only one left now. Brutes of cows with good docility and fertility, not the best for milk but just enough most of the time.

I bought 5 Ionesco straws from Munster last year when they had them. Used one but cow didn't hold. He always seemed a great bull to me.

The dam of the Bova Gamin (ZGM) is by Ionesco and I've seen him in the back breeding of a few other bulls too.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Register him as an Angus and then with the AA bonus in the factory he will be worth a right few €€€€€€

She's an Angus alright but I can't figure out where she came out of. A mystery only genotyping can solve.

I bought 5 Ionesco straws from Munster last year when they had them. Used one but cow didn't hold. He always seemed a great bull to me.

The dam of the Bova Gamin (ZGM) is by Ionesco and I've seen him in the back breeding of a few other bulls too.

I'd be a big fan. Had an ionesco X fieldson alfy bull here for a few years. He bred some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Nice surprise this afternoon. Set of twins landed around lunch. She calved first one (bull) herself no problem. I spotted a second blister inside her shortly after she calved so was fairly sure another one was in there. Didn’t leave her too long cos I guessed second one would be coming tail first. Put her in calving gate and pulled a little heifer - coming backwards as I thought. Both very lively and sucked soon after.C12C3832-920A-47B3-8A8A-2319F58A63BC.jpeg

Nice surprise this afternoon. Set of twins landed around lunch. She calved first one (bull) herself no problem. I spotted a second blister inside her shortly after she calved so was fairly sure another one was in there. Didn’t leave her too long cos I guessed second one would be coming tail first. Put her in calving gate and pulled a little heifer - coming backwards as I thought. Both very lively and sucked soon after.C12C3832-920A-47B3-8A8A-2319F58A63BC.jpeg

That made your day, I'd say. Were the legs coming first with the second one?

• Advertisement

That made your day, I'd say. Were the legs coming first with the second one?

Really made my day! Yep, back legs coming first for second one. Hooves upside down so I got her out as quickly as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

She's an Angus alright but I can't figure out where she came out of. A mystery only genotyping can solve.
    Fine looking Angus calf it is then best of luck with her. Its like I do have a CH calf or two every year, Neighbours bull, he calves Jan - March bull does be busy & never moves until mid July then he would go through a wall if there was on cow on near him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Great wee result. They seem big and strong for twins

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Great wee result. They seem big and strong for twins
    Thanks. Yeah they are fine and strong for twins. The cow is as quiet as a lamb too. She even let me wash down her teats before i got the calves up to suck. :D

Quiet cows are everything when it comes to suckling. Neighbour here bought a simmental heifer just calved, with calf at foot. When you go into the field she comes at you with her head down. She wants you to scrath her head. :D

Never seen a cow as quiet. Even when I go into the field on my own she does it. I have my young Lim replacement heifers that way, but they would run away from a stranger.

Quiet cows are everything when it comes to suckling. Neighbour here bought a simmental heifer just calved, with calf at foot. When you go into the field she comes at you with her head down. She wants you to scrath her head. :D

Never seen a cow as quiet. Even when I go into the field on my own she does it. I have my young Lim replacement heifers that way, but they would run away from a stranger.
    Absolutely, it's one thing a cow being a bit cross after calving but if they are constantly wicked or just wild then they have to go.
    Calving sucklers is hard enough without having to deal with wild cows constantly!

A bit better today, making and odd dive to get up even though he hasn't a hope for a few days I'd say. Had him at the vets this morning and he gave him a few shots. Hopeful that he will make it, would love to see what kind of a weanling he would be the back end of the year.

A bit better today, making and odd dive to get up even though he hasn't a hope for a few days I'd say. Had him at the vets this morning and he gave him a few shots. Hopeful that he will make it, would love to see what kind of a weanling he would be the back end of the year.

Think we'd all like to see how he turns out! Hopefully he will do. If the vet is hopeful then that's a good sign. You can normally tell from what they say to you. In my experience, unless there is actually hope for them, the vet won't say that there is.

No harm keep him rolled over on his other side every few hours. A bit of gentle physio would do him good too. He'll let you know if's hurting him. In fairness, he's carrying a fair bit of weight in the back end too. I'm a great fan of the infra red lamp. It's like the sun shining on them.

No harm keep him rolled over on his other side every few hours. A bit of gentle physio would do him good too. He'll let you know if's hurting him. In fairness, he's carrying a fair bit of weight in the back end too. I'm a great fan of the infra red lamp. It's like the sun shining on them.

Ya I was putting him sitting on different sides alright. He's carrying a fair bit of weight everywhere, I'd say he's 80kg. He gets awful winded after making an attempt to get up. Will definitely take a few days if he's going to I'd say, he got a fair dragging with the jack and if I had thought he was as big and muscley as he is I'd have done a section. I had him under the lamp all night, his nose was freezing yesterday evening and his temp was still low this morning when vet took it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Ya I was putting him sitting on different sides alright. He's carrying a fair bit of weight everywhere, I'd say he's 80kg. He gets awful winded after making an attempt to get up. Will definitely take a few days if he's going to I'd say, he got a fair dragging with the jack and if I had thought he was as big and muscley as he is I'd have done a section. I had him under the lamp all night, his nose was freezing yesterday evening and his temp was still low this morning when vet took it.
    maybe get a small square bale of hay or straw and get him standing over it for support

Well it wasn't to be, stone dead a few hours ago. Was half expecting it but stíll hopeful. Can't give those big ones that kind of hardship, lesson learned the hard way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Ah balls, tough one after getting him out alive. Hope cow is ok

Sorry to hear that LC.

Well it wasn't to be, stone dead a few hours ago. Was half expecting it but stíll hopeful. Can't give those big ones that kind of hardship, lesson learned the hard way :(
    shame to loose a calf like that

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Ah balls, tough one after getting him out alive. Hope cow is ok

Ya shes grand, no loss on her after it. Going to take the calf of the heifer that hurt her leg on the gate the other day and put her on her I think. Don't think the heifer will come right again.

High bike wrote: »
    shame to loose a calf like that

A right sickner.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Ah sorry to hear that, i had been following how he was getting on. Was full sure he was going to be fine before your last post. Sickener

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Big calfs, big vet bills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Well fúck that. Sorry to hear LC.
    Think I got damn lucky with my big white lad.

Ya shes grand, no loss on her after it. Going to take the calf of the heifer that hurt her leg on the gate the other day and put her on her I think. Don't think the heifer will come right again.

Had the vet out doing a section on another one of the heifers that stole the bull today, nice size ch bull out of a neighbours bull all ok. The one that got caught on the gate was in a lot of pain, not really eating or able to move around, the leg was just hanging off her and she was losing condition at an alarming rate so got the vet to put her out of her misery while she was there. Really turning into a year to forget. 4 sections, a prolapse, 6 calves lost, 1 cow lost and we're not even half way there yet. Had 1 section in the last 15 years before this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Had the vet out doing a section on another one of the heifers that stole the bull today, nice size ch bull out of a neighbours bull all ok. The one that got caught on the gate was in a lot of pain, not really eating or able to move around, the leg was just hanging off her and she was losing condition at an alarming rate so got the vet to put her out of her misery while she was there. Really turning into a year to forget. 4 sections, a prolapse, 6 calves lost, 1 cow lost and we're not even half way there yet. Had 1 section in the last 15 years before this year.
    Very similar year to me, 1 prolapse 7 lost calves, 1 lost cow bought a new bull which cant walk now. 1 twisted calf bed.
    I brought the autumn calvers back as its their last year around here and ive had 5 calved in the last three days and all good, itll come good yet.

Well fúck that. Sorry to hear LC.
    Think I got damn lucky with my big white lad.

It was mostly my own fault in fairness, I probably left her a bit too long before I went to help her because she has always calved away herself and I pulled when I should have made the call and done a section. I've had tighter pulls with springers and smaller calves but those bigger ones won't take that kind of hardship. Cow stayed standing until he was out to the hips and he wasn't badly caught there either. Was straight up again afterwards.

Who2 wrote: »
    Very similar year to me, 1 prolapse 7 lost calves, 1 lost cow bought a new bull which cant walk now. 1 twisted calf bed.
    I brought the autumn calvers back as its their last year around here and ive had 5 calved in the last three days and all good, itll come good yet.

My lim bull is up in a heap aswell, never seen anything as lame as he was last week. Got him pared and 2 shoes put on him but it'll be a long time before he's fit to bull anything again if he ever straightens up properly again. I was only kinda keeping him in reserve until the middle of June incase one of the other lads packed up and had planned on selling him. Not looking like a great plan now.

My lim bull is up in a heap aswell, never seen anything as lame as he was last week. Got him pared and 2 shoes put on him but it'll be a long time before he's fit to bull anything again if he ever straightens up properly again. I was only kinda keeping him in reserve until the middle of June incase one of the other lads packed up and had planned on selling him. Not looking like a great plan now.

mines the same, double hoof on both back legs, got shoes put on to try give one side a chance to repair but hes lost them and spends most of his time lying on his side. Im partly blaming hard ground but vet reckons its minerals and change of diet which kicked it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hi LC, keep the head up.... 2 yrs ago I lost 4 calves, 3/4 cows got screwed up....jeez I thought I’ve enough of this but kept plugging away....I also had a lovely dancer bull sold and he was infertile when I tested him. I know my tale of woe is of no good to you but at some stage we all have a year to forget and that’s just it as best you can move on and chalk it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

One to go here now. Second calved just fired out a nice red calf at the dead of her leisure. Delighted with that. Well have to give her a jag in a month to try and take her back into the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

2last cow due to calve since Monday. Shes very edgy..... up and down the 3 acre field all day .... tail out evry so often.... lifting the back right lege every now and again.... Bag not fully filled yet and pins halfway down.... should i.leave her alone? Shes grazing away and doesnt seem sick. Just concerned there maybe isues inside?? Anyone shed some light or advice. Shes a TVR x Cow in calf to LM2014....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

2last cow due to calve since Monday. Shes very edgy..... up and down the 3 acre field all day .... tail out evry so often.... lifting the back right lege every now and again.... Bag not fully filled yet and pins halfway down.... should i.leave her alone? Shes grazing away and doesnt seem sick. Just concerned there maybe isues inside?? Anyone shed some light or advice. Shes a TVR x Cow in calf to LM2014....

I'd handle her tbh. Could be a leg bent down or calf coming backwards or twisted womb

whelan2 wrote: »
    I'd handle her tbh. Could be a leg bent down or calf coming backwards or twisted womb

Apparently there’s a lot of twisted calf beds the last few weeks. Id another few calves today, nine left to go, these have been moved from autumn to summer. Anything that doesn’t take in the next month will be hanging up next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ya, I'd handle her too. You won't do her any harm to just check all is OK. The cow we lost with the twisted bed was similar to how you describe. Not saying it's that or anything at all but if she was mine I'd not be able to sleep unless I checked her :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »

Had a heifer last week calve Backways, she was edgy most of the day, even tried rising on other cows
    Didn’t realize it was a sign something was up
    Know for again

Neighbour had a cow acting like that before. Twisted uterus.

Had one here last year the very same pacing up and down the ditch all day with the tail up and down and grazing away.Was lucky got her on time there was a leg down

Neighbour had a cow acting like that before. Twisted uterus.

You'd see it with big calfs too. They don't really start pushing until the head is up in the channel and sometimes they aren't able to put the calf up enough. I'd to section 2 springers that were acting the same, fully open but pelvis wasn't big enough to let the head through. Going around grazing and chewing the cud with their tail in the sky and no pushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Had two LM2014 calves here this year, he seems to be very easy calved.
    A TVR cow should be popping out an Ivor calf no bother. There must be something wrong in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Had two LM2014 calves here this year, he seems to be very easy calved.
    A TVR cow should be popping out an Ivor calf no bother. There must be something wrong in this case.

Handled the cow at 4am no sign of anything coming.... left her alone.
    Vet arrived out at 9:30. Handled her.... nothing happening but she was fully open. Calf coming in right direction but no pushing fom cow... Said it was safe to pull calf out so i said lets do it....
    Put the jack ropes on calf and pulled the calf out... she helped a small bit but it was a ok pull. No Jack required.....
    Vet said it could be .a lack in oxitosin in cow because she wasnt pushing...
    Anyway all ended good. Thanks everyone for your advice.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Handled the cow at 4am no sign of anything coming.... left her alone.
    Vet arrived out at 9:30. Handled her.... nothing happening but she was fully open. Calf coming in right direction but no pushing fom cow... Said it was safe to pull calf out so i said lets do it....
    Put the jack ropes on calf and pulled the calf out... she helped a small bit but it was a ok pull. No Jack required.....
    Vet said it could be .a lack in oxitosin in cow because she wasnt pushing...
    Anyway all ended good. Thanks everyone for your advice.....

I had a cow like that last autumn. A seasoned calver so I don’t know why but she was fully open but fought me every step of the way trying to suck the calf back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi LC, keep the head up.... 2 yrs ago I lost 4 calves, 3/4 cows got screwed up....jeez I thought I’ve enough of this but kept plugging away....I also had a lovely dancer bull sold and he was infertile when I tested him.

I remember I had a year like that once too. All you can do is keep going. In ally my many years I learnt there are odd bad times, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

If a cow is restless with her tail up and no waterbag then in my experience its a backwards calf. You will often see they will sit down to push and then jump back up again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement