Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Well folks are any of you calving yet it still? Number 10 born overnight after a handy pull for number 9. Mastitis been a problem this year we’re going to be saying goodbye to 3 great cows unfortunately

What fly control are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Well folks are any of you calving yet it still? Number 10 born overnight after a handy pull for number 9. Mastitis been a problem this year we’re going to be saying goodbye to 3 great cows unfortunately

I had a lot of mastitis issues last year. But as the other poster said, a suckler with 3 spins is fine. I wouldn't get rid of a good cow for that reason.

I changed my grazing plan this year and kept the autumn calvers in the highest most exposed parts of the farm. Only moved them to the yard when they were near calving. This worked well and had no issues this year.

If you have sheltered low land, near a stream or trees, it's virtually impossible to avoid mastitis with autumn calvers, from my experience. I've tried all the fly repellent treatments and found that the only cure is to keep the cows in exposed fields and keep a close eye on them.

If anyone knows a treatment that works without having to bring in cows every couple of days for stock tar, I'd love to know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If you have a good crush and quiet cows you could try teat sealing them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I had a lot of mastitis issues last year. But as the other poster said, a suckler with 3 spins is fine. I wouldn't get rid of a good cow for that reason.

I changed my grazing plan this year and kept the autumn calvers in the highest most exposed parts of the farm. Only moved them to the yard when they were near calving. This worked well and had no issues this year.

If you have sheltered low land, near a stream or trees, it's virtually impossible to avoid mastitis with autumn calvers, from my experience. I've tried all the fly repellent treatments and found that the only cure is to keep the cows in exposed fields and keep a close eye on them.

If anyone knows a treatment that works without having to bring in cows every couple of days for stock tar, I'd love to know?

Yea 3 would be fine but she's rotten on that whole side. Miracle she didn't stiffen up. We kept a cow on with only 2 spins before and this one is as good and as milky but I'm not sure to chance an autumn calver on. See how she's getting on for a couple of months and then decide but I'd say she'll have to go.

That sounds like a plan that would work but the ground best suiting dry cows is low and rushy, by a lake. Flies are rampant down there so it's a juggling act. They got a lot of stockholm tar, swish and garlic licks so I'm a bit bemused by the amount of them that took fellan. Anyhow not the end of the world either it's all a part of it. Cow trade in the north is decent atm so it's not the worst time to have to thin out a few of the cows just a pity that some of the poorer performers wouldn't take it instead!

Yea 3 would be fine but she's rotten on that whole side. Miracle she didn't stiffen up. We kept a cow on with only 2 spins before and this one is as good and as milky but I'm not sure to chance an autumn calver on. See how she's getting on for a couple of months and then decide but I'd say she'll have to go.

That sounds like a plan that would work but the ground best suiting dry cows is low and rushy, by a lake. Flies are rampant down there so it's a juggling act. They got a lot of stockholm tar, swish and garlic licks so I'm a bit bemused by the amount of them that took fellan. Anyhow not the end of the world either it's all a part of it. Cow trade in the north is decent atm so it's not the worst time to have to thin out a few of the cows just a pity that some of the poorer performers wouldn't take it instead!

"low and rushy by a lake", my advice is to keep the dry cows out of there in the summer months. I'd bet my house you'll have a lot less mastitis. Move them in there once they calve.

• Advertisement

If you have a good crush and quiet cows you could try teat sealing them

I haven't done that, but I've thought about it. To be honest I don't think its worth the risk of a broken arm.

I've about 70 cows, that's 280 tubes per year..... most are quite but not used to having their teats or udders touched...

I've a good crush, but not worth it for sucklers imo.

Do you do it? And does it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I use a leg hoist here if I need to milk a suckler cow. Even at that, it can really stress out a cow and if the rope on the hoist were to break, bye bye Patsy.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

I use a leg hoist here if I need to milk a suckler cow. Even at that, it can really stress out a cow and if the rope on the hoist were to break, bye bye Patsy.

It would be slow work doing any number, plus there's a good chance of injuring a cow also.

Just get the hoofcare man with the crate. Much easier on man and beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I haven't done that, but I've thought about it. To be honest I don't think its worth the risk of a broken arm.

I've about 70 cows, that's 280 tubes per year..... most are quite but not used to having their teats or udders touched...

I've a good crush, but not worth it for sucklers imo.

Do you do it? And does it work?

I haven’t used sealers. I’ve used dry cow tubes in the past though. Don’t think i’d Do it with your numbers either TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I haven’t used sealers. I’ve used dry cow tubes in the past though. Don’t think i’d Do it with your numbers either TBH

Ya was wondering, use the dry cow tubes, peace of mind with them

"low and rushy by a lake", my advice is to keep the dry cows out of there in the summer months. I'd bet my house you'll have a lot less mastitis. Move them in there once they calve.

I know what you’re saying I’ll have to do something. That ground is on an out farm so it suits to get the cows down there. Have to weigh it all up

Had a cow calving today. The calf was sort of twisted and she had a bit of milk fever. I gave her a bottle of calcium and rang the vet. It was a very young vet who came out. She tried to twist the calf with the paddle thing. No joy. We knew the calf was dead. The head was back a good bit. Fair play to her she spent about half an hour getting it straight and we got it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a cow calving today. The calf was sort of twisted and she had a bit of milk fever. I gave her a bottle of calcium and rang the vet. It was a very young vet who came out. She tried to twist the calf with the paddle thing. No joy. We knew the calf was dead. The head was back a good bit. Fair play to her she spent about half an hour getting it straight and we got it out.

Sorry to hear that but keep the head up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

Yeah bad luck.....sorry to hear that

Was a cow calving when I went out this morning, head just out. Pulled out the calf and her calf bed came out. Vet came and put it back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Was a cow calving when I went out this morning, head just out. Pulled out the calf and her calf bed came out. Vet came and put it back in

Not good but least you were there when it happened

Happened to us at the beginning of the spring calvers. Rough one to take. Putting the calf bed back in is a rank job. Pity for it to go like that after all your work. Are you far through calving?

Happened to us at the beginning of the spring calvers. Rough one to take. Putting the calf bed back in is a rank job. Pity for it to go like that after all your work. Are you far through calving?
    6 autumn calvers left

6 autumn calvers left

Hopefully they’ll work ok for you. Were down to the last two. Last one there the cleaning suffocated the calf after everything else going well. Hopefully these 2 get the job done ok.

• Advertisement

Last one just calves for the year. Very slight help with the ropes just as well as she was just in the passage as 2 scour calves in the calving pens. Bubble was bravely wrapped round him so was just as well to be there. Checked her at 4 she calves bout 6.40. Hope the rest of you are getting on well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

down to the last one here ,
    all was fine till the last 2, 1 set of twins and the cow is too old for them, had to get injections for her Sunday as she stopped eating and had some retained afterbirth but back going now.

other one is oldest cow here and the calf is a tall as a donkey so had to lie him down to suck for the first 3 days.... can't let em out as the place is too wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

First due in 4 weeks ...... arrived a week ago - tiny but lively

Dozer1 wrote: »
    down to the last one here ,
    all was fine till the last 2, 1 set of twins and the cow is too old for them, had to get injections for her Sunday as she stopped eating and had some retained afterbirth but back going now.

other one is oldest cow here and the calf is a tall as a donkey so had to lie him down to suck for the first 3 days.... can't let em out as the place is too wet

Good work Dozer. That’s the thing with the old ladies it’s hard to time their last dance. We had one great old ch cow and she had twins early on this year. One lost and we let her rear the other then let her on. Was getting unfair asking her to calve every year and she was down to 2 quarters. I’d say lying that calf out was some mission but it might be easier than trying to push down his neck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Last one calved now good pull but all seems ok good red lm bull out of a first calver....roll on 2021

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Last one calved now good pull but all seems ok good red lm bull out of a first calver....roll on 2021

Last one calved here yesterday evening too. Hopefully that's it until 2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Last calf of 2020 just landed here - a Highfield Odhran SA bull calf off a 31 month heifer. Grand lump of a calf - had a good enough pull. I wouldn’t liked to have been trying to get something else out of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

First of 2021 calfed. Not due till Feb. Aborted twins. One was dead inside for at least 3 weeks. Not the nicest of jobs.

valtra2 wrote: »
    First of 2021 calfed. Not due till Feb. Aborted twins. One was dead inside for at least 3 weeks. Not the nicest of jobs.

Will the cow be ok? Hate twins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

Will the cow be ok? Hate twins

Ya cow ok. Took a lot out of her but she back eating and drinking now. Vet out twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

First calf of the year there, limo either knell or zag will have to check but 294 days out of a sim heifer that’s 34 months so good heifer . Fair lump of a a bull calf and needed jack to bring him but not hard pull but she wasn’t making any progress. Nice start .

First one today, vet job a, a few weeks early. Vet reckons the cow got an infection, alot of brown and smelly stuff. Calf alive amazingly. Gave it some biestings.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

sonnybill wrote: »
    First calf of the year there, limo either knell or zag will have to check but 294 days out of a sim heifer that’s 34 months so good heifer . Fair lump of a a bull calf and needed jack to bring him but not hard pull but she wasn’t making any progress. Nice start .

Photo

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I started off with a curaheen earp bull calf the 6th from a hurracaome gonzo cow and a knottown Roy bull calf yesterday. Both calved unassisted. Next up in the next three days I've an ajy cow due to the limo bull Liam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

This fellow arrived this evening at 530. Small pull. Would reckon he best part of 80kg. Anyways won't suck got a 2 liters into him through a stomach tube. Would ye think he be sound till the morning or should a man fire another liter into him. Cow is not over happy with all the drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Sligoronan wrote: »
    This fellow arrived this evening at 530. Small pull. Would reckon he best part of 80kg. Anyways won't suck got a 2 liters into him through a stomach tube. Would ye think he be sound till the morning or should a man fire another liter into him. Cow is not over happy with all the drama.

Get another litre in if you can, especially with a calf that size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

That's some lump, you wouldn't carry him too far. What bull is he off?
    It's good that he's standing anyway, probably best to get some more into him tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

tanko wrote: »
    It's good that he's standing anyway, probably best to get some more into him tonight.

He a fiston calf. The cow is shorthorn angus cross. He trying his best to suck so going to try and leave him alone let nature to it bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Sligoronan wrote: »

OMG some brute of a calf.

I’d leave him be once he got the initial 2 litres. If he’s up and walking about, he’ll most surely suck. If you tube him again he might not be hungry to suck so leave him and let nature do his bit as the poster above said.

If you have a calving camera I’d keep a good eye on him though. You wouldn’t want anything happening a lad like him

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

Neighbour's first of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭charlesanto

The Rabbi wrote: »

Lovely stone wall !

The Rabbi wrote: »

Nice cow

First one today, vet job a, a few weeks early. Vet reckons the cow got an infection, alot of brown and smelly stuff. Calf alive amazingly. Gave it some biestings.

Calf died. Had a dealer here yesterday and he bought the cow to rear calves. She was only dried off at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

tanko wrote: »

I was thinking that standing was a fair achievement. Massive lump of a calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Katie 2018

Heifer calved yesterday morning brute of lim heifer calf.unfortunately died few hours later.hard jacking got caught at hips.vet was happy to jack thought was enough room.. anyway wat to do with heifer bull again or cull.lovely quiet lim heifer.good bag milk.would I be mad to keep.july 18 born

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Katie 2018 wrote: »
    Heifer calved yesterday morning brute of lim heifer calf.unfortunately died few hours later.hard jacking got caught at hips.vet was happy to jack thought was enough room.. anyway wat to do with heifer bull again or cull.lovely quiet lim heifer.good bag milk.would I be mad to keep.july 18 born

What breed is she? Does she rate well for stars etc? Have you the space/feed to hang on to her?
    They are some things I would consider.

Also they often can go back in heat fast after a calf dies so you could make an Autumn calver out of her if you’re lucky.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    What breed is she? Does she rate well for stars etc? Have you the space/feed to hang on to her?
    They are some things I would consider.

Also they often can go back in heat fast after a calf dies so you could make an Autumn calver out of her if you’re lucky.
    She a lmx . could feed her surely.i bought her incalf in oct.4star heifer but that all I know I'm not in that scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Would she take a calf now, if you were to buy one off a dairy farmer, if she is quite and will take with a calf then I would defo consider keeping her. A heifer running around for a year without rearing a calf is an expense, you could probable dry her sell her in the mart and get as much as would buy another in calf heifer.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Would she take a calf now, if you were to buy one off a dairy farmer, if she is quite and will take with a calf then I would defo consider keeping her. A heifer running around for a year without rearing a calf is an expense, you could probable dry her sell her in the mart and get as much as would buy another in calf heifer.
    silly prices calf's at minute got asked 260 for black whitehead yesterday.havent time for that with work an family commitments

That's her

• Advertisement
Advertisement