Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Katie 2018 wrote: »
    Heifer calved yesterday morning brute of lim heifer calf.unfortunately died few hours later.hard jacking got caught at hips.vet was happy to jack thought was enough room.. anyway wat to do with heifer bull again or cull.lovely quiet lim heifer.good bag milk.would I be mad to keep.july 18 born

If you are going to keep her you'd want to be getting a calf for her to rear this year, could you get a calf off a neighbour today and see how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

silly prices calf's at minute got asked 260 for black whitehead yesterday.havent time for that with work an family commitments

A runner could be better value
    Have you other cows calved, ideally a strong calf to get it to suck even once a day until you get a calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

I know this will offend people ( sorry in advance !) but would a farmer be better off with an easy calving bull and not be putting pressure on cows and calves and themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I can never understand keeping an animal for a year , she's giving you nothing back and what if the same happens next year? How about selling the heifer now and someone might put a calf on her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Heifer calved yesterday morning brute of lim heifer calf.unfortunately died few hours later.hard jacking got caught at hips.vet was happy to jack thought was enough room.. anyway wat to do with heifer bull again or cull.lovely quiet lim heifer.good bag milk.would I be mad to keep.july 18 born
    If she was mine she’d get road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Same here, I have kept them in the past and always regretted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Same here, I have kept them in the past and always regretted it.

There rarely lucky anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

+1 from experience would advise you to cut your losses, finish her as a heifer off grass before flies come out in summer - you’ll still get decent price for over 30 month heifer. Second chance a bad job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

As long as she's ok, hasn't withheld the cleaning, then I would not bother trying to put a calf in under her, imagine the greif of trying to put one of those narrow dairy yolks on her, and even she took to the calf you still would only have an odd ball ****e of a yolk at the end of the year.
    Instead Feed her on and you'd get her back in calf in 8-12 weeks.
    I'd always be AI-ing to an easy calving bull for the first 2 calving's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I know this will offend people ( sorry in advance !) but would a farmer be better off with an easy calving bull and not be putting pressure on cows and calves and themselves

Had a 65 kg calf yesterday off an easy calving bull, see the calf earlier in this theread off fiston , another easy calving bull ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

I've started to cull here this last few years. If not in calf or age. Had one 1st timer lost calf last year and decided to keep her, as from a good line and brought a great calf my mistake not the cows 're calf dying. But any others would have gotten the road. Is one of the 1st to calves this year so no bother to go back in calf

Had a 65 kg calf yesterday off an easy calving bull, see the calf earlier in this theread off fiston , another easy calving bull ,

In most countries they use same breed bull as cows ( angus bull- angus cows. char bull- char cow) An easier calving char/ BB on mixed breeds used here with hybrid vigour could still lead to calving difficulty. Yes you can also get odd one that goes against type, but its more some people seem to want the prize winner at local weanling sale than welfare of cattle. lot to be said for live calf out of every cow, cow and calf up, and the jack getting rusty in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Anyone any idea what would have happened in this case :
    Had a third calving LM cow calf a LM bull calf recently without assistance . Calf only lived for about three hours despite my best efforts .
    Calf would let out a high pitched bawl every so often before expiring . Looked to be premature but cow had gone over by a month .
    Would like to prevent a repeat of this

It's hard to know, similar happened here a few years ago but it was a one off thankfully. If it happens again i'd get a post mortem done if they're being done at the moment.
    Are you giving pre calver minerals?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

GNWoodd wrote: »
    Had a third calving LM cow calf a LM bull calf recently without assistance . Calf only lived for about three hours despite my best efforts .
    Calf would let out a high pitched bawl every so often before expiring . Looked to be premature but cow had gone over by a month .

It's next to impossible to say definitively with a post mortem. However the bawling would suggest to me that he was in pain possibly from some internal problem that proved fatal. What lead you to believe he looked premature? If he wasn't fully developed then this could have made him non viable to survive outside the womb which explained the bawling and the fact that he only lived 3 hour's. As for preventing a repeat I'd be more inclined to think it was just a fluke occurrence and chalk it down to experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

The bawling would make me think of selenium deficiency or white muscle disease. If you are in the South East a good share of the land is low in selenium and this can be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Katie 2018

tanko wrote: »
    If you are going to keep her you'd want to be getting a calf for her to rear this year, could you get a calf off a neighbour today and see how that goes.

Can get my hands on a chx bull calf.1week old still sucking a cow.strong calf.would it be worth a try.wat best way to get to take.cow walked by dead calf this morning went over started licking it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

In most countries they use same breed bull as cows ( angus bull- angus cows. char bull- char cow) An easier calving char/ BB on mixed breeds used here with hybrid vigour could still lead to calving difficulty. Yes you can also get odd one that goes against type, but its more some people seem to want the prize winner at local weanling sale than welfare of cattle. lot to be said for live calf out of every cow, cow and calf up, and the jack getting rusty in the corner.
    The 65kg calf was a purebred charolais , get what your saying though

Can get my hands on a chx bull calf.1week old still sucking a cow.strong calf.would it be worth a try.wat best way to get to take.cow walked by dead calf this morning went over started licking it again

Like others have said the sensible thing to do it let the heifer dry off, sell her and replace her with something else.
    If you wanted to put a calf on here the best thing is to skin the dead calf and tie the skin to the new calf but it's two days now, she won't be long going dry.
    If they don't take to the calf you have to put the heifer in a crush/head gate twice a day to let him suck and maybe tie her leg to stop her kicking.
    A few days of that could have you questioning your decision if it doesn't go well.
    The last time a cow lost a newborn calf here there was a set of twins in the next pen lucky enough so locked one of them in with her, had to put her in the crush for a few day to let him suck and then she took to him.

Was calf able to pass dung?, (neighbour had 1 that couldnt), Cow stand on calf ?
    Prob some internal damage that might never happen again. Was cow running with bull? and repeated without knowing

• Advertisement

Stand with the calf and heifer twice a day to let the calf drink, maybe give a kilo of nuts to the heifer

Put the calf away from the heifer in a straw bed in between times.

After three days the heifer will smell her milk in the calves poo

Some people skin the dead calf, its a wast of time

Mothers of twins often drop one and this technique works well with any heifer/cow to take any calf

Id only run an angus with heifers, its not worth the hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Shx heifer and her Limousine heifer calf(zag) born this morning. Thank god for calving cameras. 2 days over and no sign of calving

Shx heifer and her Limousine heifer calf(zag) born this morning. Thank god for calving cameras. 2 days over and no sign of calving
    SHX - great suckler cows

Had a pedigree shorthorn one time, should have kept her

SHX - great suckler cows

Bought her and another one 2 years ago as suck calves. Quiet as lambs. The other one calved on Wednesday. Lm heifer aswell by zag. All good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

SHX - great suckler cows

IMO SHxBA make the best suckler cows although any SH cow is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »

The Clare SH is a great hardy cow

Mainly angus fr cross here but I like the shx, hard to get them

Bought her and another one 2 years ago as suck calves. Quiet as lambs. The other one calved on Wednesday. Lm heifer aswell by zag. All good
    Lovely looking stock, very quiet and hardy as well for this climate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

The SH is a lovely looking heifer - was she’s off a stock bull or AI? I find SH tend to be narrow if they are off dairy/poor bred cows

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    The SH is a lovely looking heifer - was she’s off a stock bull or AI? I find SH tend to be narrow if they are off dairy/poor bred cows

They came up from a farm in limerick. As far as I know it was a sh stock bull. They are awful quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

They came up from a farm in limerick. As far as I know it was a sh stock bull. They are awful quiet.

Would they be fron a place called Strand?

That is one thing as I get older that I like about SH/SHx, they are awful quiet and easily handled.

Would they be fron a place called Strand?

Honestly I can't remember. He was a dairy farmer. I remember ringing him looking for the bulls tag number. I think the bull belong to a neighbour of his.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

That is one thing as I get older that I like about SH/SHx, they are awful quiet and easily handled.

How are your Shorthorns doing Base? I've always liked roan type cattle and I've been thinking about buying a few Irish Moiled heifers and doing some rare breed conservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

I wouldn't say it would offend people, it more goes back to the obsession with big muscely type animals and big continental cows. Something we're all guilty of by the way, not pointing any fingers.

It would be great if more people got into the handier sized breeds to have less difficult calfings. A tough calfing can still happen of course, regardless of the breed but surely the handier hardier breeds manage more easily? Wouldn't mind seeing stats on that.

The argument you'd often hear is that the smaller breeds won't fetch a decent price at the mart and it would be correct, but there would be an interesting argument to see how two Galloway cows' weanlings calfing by themselves would get on at the mart as opposed to a weanling out of a big Charlois that needs assist with a jack and slips dates after a hard calfing took so much out of her.

The Jack will always be a tool needed on a farm for sure, but it shouldn't be a tool used all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

2nd calver on brink of calving in next few days. Blood in front two udders.
    I have seen that reddish / pinkish colour colostrom in milk prior to calving, the few days in advance.
    Is this blood ok? Will it turn to milk or can anyone enlighten me?
    Udders not hard or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

RD10 wrote: »
    2nd calver on brink of calving in next few days. Blood in front two udders.
    I have seen that reddish / pinkish colour colostrom in milk prior to calving, the few days in advance.
    Is this blood ok? Will it turn to milk or can anyone enlighten me?
    Udders not hard or anything

I assume you noticed it through milk leaking when she's lying? Either way it's probably just from capillaries bursting in the tissue of the quarter. Keep an eye for heat or swelling in both quarters but issue should rectify itself.

How are your Shorthorns doing Base? I've always liked roan type cattle and I've been thinking about buying a few Irish Moiled heifers and doing some rare breed conservation.
    The cross breds are good but unfortunately one of the pb's came bulling a couple of weeks ago. She should have been over 5 months in calf. The other one didn't hold to ai in Nov/Dec so I'm leaving her until Spring.
    I bought a 14 month old pbr bull in October at a pedigree sale and I will run him with them in Spring. He is by Ballyart Lucky ET (YKK) and he was the one that I liked most when viewing the bulls at the sale.
    I will post a pic soon when he moves into his proper pen which is still under construction and stalled since OH broke his collarbone. He is in a small dry bedded pen at the minute but I need to get him onto concrete so I'm going to move him tomorrow with the help of a friend into another temporary pen with gates outside so he can be standing on concrete when eating to keep his feet right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Some farmer I am, went out today to look at the stock and had a calf looking out at me. What's worse is I'd say he's a day or too old :rolleyes

IMG-20210117-112235.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Some farmer I am, went out today to look at the stock and had a calf looking out at me. What's worse is I'd say he's a day or too old :rolleyes:

It's things like this that keep me happy. If it happens to those it normally wouldn't happen to, then it's okay if it happens to me.

BTW, I right clicked on your Imgbb image and then clicked on Copy Image Address. Returning to your post I clicked on insertimage.gif and pasted in the image URL address that had been copied. That worked.

Copying the BBcode for Full Image (linked) and pasting it here, resulted in this:

IMG-20210117-112235.jpg

So that worked too....

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

I assume you noticed it through milk leaking when she's lying? Either way it's probably just from capillaries bursting in the tissue of the quarter. Keep an eye for heat or swelling in both quarters but issue should rectify itself.

Cheers for that, ya taught i noticed tinge of blood on inside of her lower leg, shes quite enough that she wud stand for me to check.
    Pure dark red blood in them so i will be keeping an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thatsmighty

Cameras are a good job

What was the name of the stomach tube yolk that someone had here but if was attached to a bottle instead of a bag? Would seem much easier to use to feed a calf.

endainoz wrote: »
    What was the name of the stomach tube yolk that someone had here but if was attached to a bottle instead of a bag? Would seem much easier to use to feed a calf.

Was it a trusti tuber??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

not sure of the name but got one last year and find it great especially if ur on ur own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Speedy-Oral-Calf-Feeder-Xl-4l-Cw-Stomach-Feeder-0379569

Or this

https://www.farmanddairyspares.ie/product/trusti-tuber-calf-feeding-starter-pack/

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

That trusti tuber looks a great job, definitely less stress on the calf than using the hard plastic of a regular stomach tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

That's the one the Trusi Tuber find it a great job,and theres an adjustment on it depending on the weight of the calf

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cionn80

The little fella born this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Diarmuid B

High bike wrote: »
    That's the one the Trusi Tuber find it a great job,and theres an adjustment on it depending on the weight of the calf

Without sounding stupid, how do you ensure the tube goes down the oesophagus and not down into the lungs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement