Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goatstown

Options
  • 05-01-2020 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

I’m looking at renting a house in Goatstown, near Mount Anville School and want to find out a little about the area. Are there many amenities like shops etc nearby?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m looking at renting a house in Goatstown, near Mount Anville School and want to find out a little about the area. Are there many amenities like shops etc nearby?

Seriously?

Go and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Super spot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Allinall wrote: »
    Seriously?

Go and have a look.

I was hoping to get an insight from someone with local knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Used to live there. Nice area
    Deerpark - great for a wander
    The Goat Pub - very nice local pub and great food.
    UCD - used to hang out there a lot with the kids (was member of the gym). There's a very nice walk around the campus
    SuperValu - handy little shop on the Rise, Mt Merrion
    Union Cafe - fine for a coffee, personally I didn't really click with this place.
    Kennedy's pub - quiet old mans pub.
    Micheal's Restaurant - very high reputation. Rightly so. Ate there 3-4 times
    CostCutter - local convenience store. decent little local shop.

Ranjo wrote: »
    Used to live there. Nice area
    Deerpark - great for a wander
    The Goat Pub - very nice local pub and great food.
    UCD - used to hang out there a lot with the kids (was member of the gym). There's a very nice walk around the campus
    SuperValu - handy little shop on the Rise, Mt Merrion
    Union Cafe - fine for a coffee, personally I didn't really click with this place.
    Kennedy's pub - quiet old mans pub.
    Micheal's Restaurant - very high reputation. Rightly so. Ate there 3-4 times
    CostCutter - local convenience store. decent little local shop.

Is it far to the UCD gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Great area. Very safe. Stunning views over Dublin.

Dundrum Town Centre and Stillorgan Shopping Centre would be a short drive or a longish walk.

The Luas stops aren't a million miles away in Kilmacud or Dundrum or Balally.

There's a few bus routes into town.

Convenience store located at the junction of Mount Anville Road and Roebuck Road.

The Goat is a well established bar and restaurant.

There's a Circle K petrol station at the junction of Taney Road and Goatstown Road.

Deer Park is a nice little park for a stroll.

I thought the 11 was the only bus route. Are there others?

On foot from Mount Anville school.... about 30 minutes walk

Ten minutes on a bike. About five minutes in a car with no traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Depends where you're starting from.

If you are an early bird going to the gym at 6am-ish, you have to drive all the way around to the entrance off the Clonskeagh Road as the gates are closed overnight in the entrance off Fosters avenue.

I thought the 11 was the only bus route. Are there others?

With a bit of a walk, you could pick up the 14, 44 and 61 from Dundrum... or a multiple of buses on the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway.

• Advertisement

I don’t really want to say exactly where but it’s fairly near the mount anville schools. I do use the gym regularly so was hoping for somewhere nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you have kids going to mount anville op?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    you have kids going to mount anville op?

No it’s just very close to it

Personally I way prefer churchtown Dundrum. Walk to luas. Dundrum Town centre. Lidl , Aldi or lidl in churchtown, super sky churchtown. nutgrove shopping centre. Far more pubs. Really depends where people will be traveling too ...

Personally I way prefer churchtown Dundrum. Walk to luas. Dundrum Town centre. Lidl , Aldi or lidl in churchtown, super sky churchtown. nutgrove shopping centre. Far more pubs. Really depends where people will be traveling too ...

I work in Sandyford so that’s going to be my most regular journey

Right. What way do you travel car , bike etc ? If you have other family members , handiest if you could get somewhere , that all of you can easily get to where you need to go

Right. What way do you travel car , bike etc ? If you have other family members , handiest if you could get somewhere , that all of you can easily get to where you need to go

Would be relying on bus/luas the majority of the time

Honestly between MtA and Churchtown - much of a muchness OP. MtA closer for driving to Sandyford and handier for N11 into city/out to Cornelscourt/M50. Likely less trafficey for UCD too. All in it's a great area, you isn't go far wrong there. I don't live there (few km away) but run/drive through regularly - so don't know the bus or commuter routes that well.

Only downside will be lack of proper village scene with resturants/pubs etc, but you have the Goat, Radisson (lots of locals eat/drink there), and close enough to Gleesons on Booterstown Ave too. Not that far from Ranelagh/Donnybrooik. You also have Airfield, Stillorgan, Fundrum, Blackrock all accessible enough for children/teens. Good mix of retirees/families, probably lacking a bit in younger / 20's type accommodation.
    There was a spate of home burglaries in that area early last summer afaik. Assume nothing out of the ordinary for a suburban area like that through.

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Honestly between MtA and Churchtown - much of a muchness OP. MtA closer for driving to Sandyford and handier for N11 into city/out to Cornelscourt/M50. Likely less trafficey for UCD too. All in it's a great area, you isn't go far wrong there. I don't live there (few km away) but run/drive through regularly - so don't know the bus or commuter routes that well.

Only downside will be lack of proper village scene with resturants/pubs etc, but you have the Goat, Radisson (lots of locals eat/drink there), and close enough to Gleesons on Booterstown Ave too. Not that far from Ranelagh/Donnybrooik. You also have Airfield, Stillorgan, Fundrum, Blackrock all accessible enough for children/teens. Good mix of retirees/families, probably lacking a bit in younger / 20's type accommodation.
    There was a spate of home burglaries in that area early last summer afaik. Assume nothing out of the ordinary for a suburban area like that through.

I don’t mind not being near pubs, would be more interested in shops and a gym being near

Going to see the place on Sunday. Was taking to someone at work today and they said the traffic at rush hour around there is horrendous. Is that the case?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Going to see the place on Sunday. Was taking to someone at work today and they said the traffic at rush hour around there is horrendous. Is that the case?

Yes, its a complete nightmare at rush hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I don’t mind not being near pubs, would be more interested in shops and a gym being near

It's not a very good area for either tbh, it's very very quiet with comfortable settled vibe but amenities are scarce in comparison to Stillorgan Dundrum or Churchtown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yes you're between Dundrum and Sandyford, both significant traffic generators.

So google maps suggesting a 20 min journey to work isn’t realistic then? From MtAnville School to the Stillorgan LUAS stop?

So google maps suggesting a 20 min journey to work isn’t realistic then? From MtAnville School to the Stillorgan LUAS stop?

Honestly cycling would be best bet from there in my opinion. Unless you have a car already, then just try it in car first and see how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Google Street view handy for having a look around areas. google maps will calculate distances and provide routes for you. you mention being near shops being important, the super valu in mount merrion looks like the nearest - its walkable in about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It’s a half hour walk at a normal pace. You’d have to walk up to the Goat junction anyway so you could assess traffic via a vis the bus.

The real issue is whether you are fully dependent on public transport. It’s prob a good 20 minutes walk to any decent shop (SuperValue The Ruse) and further to other facilities such as a gym. It’s a family residential area for people who drive their kids 2 minutes to the local school which can account for lots of silly morning traffic as well as being on a traffic heavy route up from N11 across to Dundrum.

Advertisement