Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 Working in New York

Options
  • 05-01-2020 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey Guys,

I'm moving to New York this summer and working for the three months. I'm currently 19 and I'm just wondering is there anyone else going over that is under 21?

Do you think ill be left out of lots of stuff since I'm under 21 swell?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

You'll definitely be ID'd in the bars in Manhattan. A friend of mine used to live in Queens and they got served underage in some of the Queens neighbourhood bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oisin8919

Okay good to know. Is anyone moving over to new York this summer? If so dm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I seen people more than over the legal age be refused from bars in new york because they had no ID so they are VERY strict!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

You won't be able to drink (even being in possession of alcohol is a crime if you're under 21, not just buying it) or enter most bars/clubs, or buy tobacco products, and you'll pay a huge surcharge to rent a car. Most bars and merchants will insist on seeing ID, as the laws around serving under-21s are quite harsh and police stings are common. There will probably be some events and other venues restricted to 21 and older as well, especially if alcohol is involved. Some hotels might also be restricted to 21 and over (mostly those that provide alcohol in the room, e.g. in mini-bars), but many will accept guests as young as 18.

Advertisement