Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a courier business

Options
  • 05-01-2020 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I suffer from mental health problems and have had to leave my professional job.

A year later and im still bad and cant see myself being able to go back to structured employment.

I was thinking of setting up a small courier/man with a van job to supplement my disability allowance. (Above board).

Anyone have any tips on how to start.. what to do... or is it even viable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

A year later and im still bad and cant see myself being able to go back to structured employment.

I was thinking of setting up a small courier/man with a van job to supplement my disability allowance. (Above board).

Any local takeaways you could do deliveries for in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d say unless you have a specific contact then it’s a saturated market.

DoneDeal, Facebook and adverts are brimming with “man with van” ads cutting the socks off the prices.

You might get some over spill from a courier company but it would be far from stress free work.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Would encourage you to try takeaway deliveries first to see if you like it.

Gap in the market is man with a van who does regular runs to Donegal , Derry and Belfast.

Cost me 200 to get a man with a van to do a run up and back in two hours to a place just outside Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Try one of the franchises but take what they tell you with a pinch of salt.

One thing I thought of years ago was setting up a local marketplace website with deliveries in the evening, e.g. butchers, greengrocers, local clothes shops, laundrettes etc.

Advertisement