Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone contacts all over the shop

Options
  • 06-01-2020 5:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

So I have three accounts setup on the iPhone.
    Gmail contacts from very early days
    iCloud from when I moved from android
    Exchange/Office 365 which is default and which I use for work so I need to have contacts in my outlook contacts syncing with my iPhone.

Problem is I have multiple duplicates and fact merge them. Have tried buying the app clean dupes but it doesn’t work.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Something similar happened my contacts a couple of years back and then again last year when I wasn't paying attention to Lindedin (I think it was) and ended up with a heap of contacts I didn't want. The way I cleaned them up was the hard way.. logged into iCloud and went through them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Something similar happened my contacts a couple of years back and then again last year when I wasn't paying attention to Lindedin (I think it was) and ended up with a heap of contacts I didn't want. The way I cleaned them up was the hard way.. logged into iCloud and went through them..

Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is there any way to export them as a text/csv file and clean them up in Excel? Concur on the iCloud cleanup anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can you import them all to your Google account then use Google's remove duplicates option. Then set Google as the contacts to display in iPhone.
    Did you go into accounts and just set one of them to display anyway might cure it without doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Could you go back to the shop and pick them up?

On a serious note.

Go to your phone
    Open contacts
    On the top left corner you’ll have “groups”
    Tap this and you should see what accounts are displaying contacts, you can unselect different accounts this should remove a lot of duplicates.
    Have a mess around with groups though it might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Also you’ve another option.

Wipe the iPhone and do a restore if you have a restore point from before the contact mess up. (You can check your backups in settings)

Say 2 weeks ago and you restore to then you’ll have everything back in order including contacts but you’ll lose anything you’ve done since then.
    If you’ve photos you took since then and want to keep send them to a friend on WhatsApp before restoring the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭jc77

So I have three accounts setup on the iPhone.
    Gmail contacts from very early days
    iCloud from when I moved from android
    Exchange/Office 365 which is default and which I use for work so I need to have contacts in my outlook contacts syncing with my iPhone.

Problem is I have multiple duplicates and fact merge them. Have tried buying the app clean dupes but it doesn’t work.

Can anyone help?

This would be my fix.

1. In iPhone go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts > *select the Exchange account* > disable contacts

2. Get a free iOS app called My Contacts Backup, run the app. It will gather all the remaining contacts on the phone & send to an email address of your choice as a single VCF file.

3. Disable gmail contacts on your phone. If prompted, chose delete

4. Use a PC to import contacts into https://www.icloud.com > Contacts & fix the duplicates here
    - if you have a Mac, this is much easier to do within the Contacts app using Card menu > Look for Duplicates

5. Re-enable Exchange contacts

Advertisement