Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exploring alternative fertility options

Options
  • 06-01-2020 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We went down the IVF route 2 years ago and it worked on the 3rd attempt.

As we start to think about a second baby we are wondering what sort of IVF alternatives are available in Ireland.

Does anyone have any info or advice on experiences with IVF alternatives ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Do you mean surrogacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

lunamoon wrote: »
    Do you mean surrogacy?

Sorry, i wasn't clear.

When i said alternatives I meant procedures or treatments that could assist with increasing the chance of getting pregnant naturally instead of having to do IVF again.

Items like fertility massage, acupuncture, nutrition plans etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

grahamor wrote: »
    Sorry, i wasn't clear.

When i said alternatives I meant procedures or treatments that could assist with increasing the chance of getting pregnant naturally instead of having to do IVF again.

Items like fertility massage, acupuncture, nutrition plans etc.

Thanks

I guess it all comes down to why you required ivf in the first place. Presuming it's not a sperm issue, then:
    -There's a book called it starts with the egg, which AFAIK has nutrition stuff in it in regards to 'healthier' eggs.
    - Theres special lubes that are sperm friendly.
    - Temping and tracking ovulation on top. Of timing sex is a major help. Taking charge of your fertility is a great book to check out.
    - Last time I was in boots I spotted cups that women can use after sex to help keep the sperm inside for longer.
    - stuff like grapefruit juice can help increase the cervical mucus which can make things friendlier for sperm.
    - some vitamin supplements can allegedly help with egg quality (coQ 10).

I've tried a lot of the above (everything but the cups and one of the books), but ultimately we required IUI treatment. We were unexplained infertility, everything was fine medically but it just wasn't happening for us.

Advertisement