Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching FTTH provider, when best to do it

• 06-01-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭

So i have a 12 month contract with sky for 300mb ftth ending on 1 Feb.

Going from 50 a month to 85.

Best they can do is 65 but vodafone are working out at 45 a month over 12 months on their switch offer.

Am i best trying to get it transferred over at the end of Jan ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The Vodafone offer is good at the moment. Broadband is becoming like car insurance, you have to shop around each year and go with the best quote for your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The Vodafone offer is good at the moment. Broadband is becoming like car insurance, you have to shop around each year and go with the best quote for your needs.

absolutely and i have done so far.

just want to make sure i dont incur any unwanted extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

BB & TV have become a rip off!

Cyrus wrote: »
    absolutely and i have done so far.

just want to make sure i dont incur any unwanted extra charges.

Just make sure that you are out of contract when switching and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Get a definite answer from Sky regarding notice period eg they may require 30 days notice which would be required now. Make it clear that you are switching (not cancelling), although that may not be an issue for FTTH but you don't want to lose your phone number which could happen if they cancel it by accident.

Get confirmation via email of whatever is agreed with Sky.

If you move to Vodafone, ask them for confirmation of the steps required to leave after 12 months with them. Anecdotal evidence suggests that you can only cancel when the 12 month contract ends and they then require 30 days notice which is effectively a 13 month contract. Make sure they allow giving 30 days notice after 11 months.

Ask Sky what to do with the router and ask Vodafone what happens with their router after end of contract eg do they collect it or pay for collection or require you to pay for postage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

In the same boat but being told by Vodafone & eir that there's a €99 installation charge.

Have you looked at Sky? I think they waive the install charge.

In the same boat but being told by Vodafone & eir that there's a €99 installation charge.

ask them what they are going to do for the charge given you already have the infastructure. they should waive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

ask them what they are going to do for the charge given you already have the infastructure. they should waive it.

Openeir charge the retailers the same for new and existing installations (and its quite a bit more than €99 so they are sucking up some of the charge already).

Comreg :rolleyes:

dam099 wrote: »
    Openeir charge the retailers the same for new and existing installations (and its quite a bit more than €99 so they are sucking up some of the charge already).

Comreg :rolleyes:

Ok but I don’t get what they are charging for ? In my case I don’t even use the provider modem so are they being charged for transferring my account across to them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Ok but I don’t get what they are charging for ? In my case I don’t even use the provider modem so are they being charged for transferring my account across to them ?

They apparently changed it because one provider in particular was taking the p#ss, not taking on any customers requiring an installation but poaching them after their year was up after another provider paid the installation charge.

From what I have read here there was a proposal to do some sort of partial recovery in such situations between the old and new providers but Comreg decided it was too complicated and instead told Eir to charge the same for new and existing installations (and I think the new rate for both may the same or close to the same as the old one for just new installations).

Already with Sky, looking to move since price is gone up after 12 months.
    Eir or Vodafone won't waive the installation charge of €99.99 but Eir are offering €50 off the bill so likely will go with them.

Already with Sky, looking to move since price is gone up after 12 months.
    Eir or Vodafone won't waive the installation charge of €99.99 but Eir are offering €50 off the bill so likely will go with them.

whats the eir charge for a year?

Vodafone are 540 (plus the 99)

for 300mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭domeld

I'm on this same boat.
    Currently with eir on 300 Mb package (39.98 pm) price is going up end of the next month.

Got offer from eir 46 euro for 150 Mb

Sky - 35 for 12 months (50 euro installation charge)
    Vodafone - 25 for 6 months thereafter 50 euro (99 euro installation charge)

Above prices are for 150 Mb and they are the cheapest for now.

Any experience with SKY are they any good?

Thanks
    D.

domeld wrote: »
    I'm on this same boat.
    Currently with eir on 300 Mb package (39.98 pm) price is going up end of the next month.

Got offer from eir 46 euro for 150 Mb

Sky - 35 for 12 months (50 euro installation charge)
    Vodafone - 25 for 6 months thereafter 50 euro (99 euro installation charge)

Above prices are for 150 Mb and they are the cheapest for now.

Any experience with SKY are they any good?

Thanks
    D.

They are all the same , same service different name on it

- Have been very happy with Sky 150MB, would stay with them, but they want to charge €65 per month (down from €75 when I said I'd leave). Originally got Sky as we wanted satellite dish set up after moving house and TV+broadband bundle was good for first 12 months
    - Gone to Eir 150MB for €40.99 per month instead, €99 setup (only if you sign up via web chat, strangely in store and over the phone it's €150 setup fee, made no sense to me wither), €50 refund back on the bill in month 2 or 3, 12 month contract. https://www.eir.ie/broadband/
    - Will likely be switching again this time next year.

Advertisement