Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Taoiseach Michael Martin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Unless economy shows signs of dipping FG will remain in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rossie1977 wrote:
    Unless economy shows signs of dipping FG will remain in power.

Disagree there, I'd say more than likely ff and a few others next time round, with nothing really changing

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Depressed if it happens as it'll mean back to the "throw money at welfare and public sector" vote buying politics and the inevitable crash which will follow requiring another decade of cutbacks to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It absolutely boggles my mind how Martin is still leader of FF. Does no one remember that the crisis in the health service began under his ministry and that today's crisis is merely a long drawn out continuation of the one which began while he was supposed to be in charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jonny one

As head of a coalition or full FF majority?

If FF win an extra 10/15 seats it'll be easy enough to put a majority rainbow together with/Labour/SocDems/Greens/independents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Fianna Fáil should have been deleted after the national economic crisis and the disaster they over saw. The fact they still exist says it all really.

I absolutely agree, and that is entirely the fault of Fine Gael for screwing so many people over with their post-recession policies (I'm not talking about bailout era policies, I'm talking about their policies in the 2016-2020 Dail term).

On the bright side, FG insiders have recently "warned" that the upcoming government looks likely to be "the most left wing government in the history of the state", so maybe the hardworking people in my generation will finally be able to get some affordable housing after FG spent the last eight years intentionally blocking it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Depressed if it happens as it'll mean back to the "throw money at welfare and public sector" vote buying politics and the inevitable crash which will follow requiring another decade of cutbacks to sort out.

isnt this exactly what FG are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

It absolutely boggles my mind how Martin is still leader of FF. Does no one remember that the crisis in the health service began under his ministry and that today's crisis is merely a long drawn out continuation of the one which began while he was supposed to be in charge?

The crisis in the health service was looming long before he was minister. For a lot of people he will be remembered for the smoking ban, which was under his watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's gonna be Peter Casey as Taoiseach, Bill Cullen as Táiniste and Ming above in the Áras.

A wind is blwing boys.

I absolutely agree, and that is entirely the fault of Fine Gael for screwing so many people over with their post-recession policies (I'm not talking about bailout era policies, I'm talking about their policies in the 2016-2020 Dail term).

On the bright side, FG insiders have recently "warned" that the upcoming government looks likely to be "the most left wing government in the history of the state", so maybe the hardworking people in my generation will finally be able to get some affordable housing after FG spent the last eight years intentionally blocking it...

this is the laughable thing, rip off housing with fine gael or possibly even more taxes from every other party, that supports ripping off the workers with taxes to fund all the waste and wasters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Idbatterim wrote: »
    this is the laughable thing, rip off housing with fine gael or possibly even more taxes from every other party, that supports ripping off the workers with taxes to fund all the waste and wasters!

Name one party promises to do that.

As for waste, that's what we have, NCH, IW, leasing and buying instead of building etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Same circus just a different bunch of clowns. Nothing changes here in Ireland, just which political party's friends get to gourge on the taxpayers largesse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Says the poster that is promoting a party that flung the country into the housing crisis in the first place.

These threads are nauseating, how ugly can a party get when they have to resort to online spin to regurgitate their own tripe. Awful lazy stuff.

With any luck the country will not have forgotten what a shambles the effeffers were the last time they had the wheel. They achieved nothing and delivered nothing …. except that they managed to make the country go broke.

Notwithstanding that they now have the audacity to try to get their paws on the wheel again? To do what , rip the country off twice?

Name me one positive thing mehole could do for this country? Just one liddle thing?

Such a useless spanner does not even deserve to be a TD, never mind run a government. He is so desperate to make it, he is employing a PR company to engage in an online FG smear campaign? I am not surprised … but I mean really, is this the type off plank you want taxing you and wasting your money?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The power swap back in full swing. 'Are you right there Michael...your turn.'

The same would have happened under fg. They wanted more iettol thrown on the flames pre bust in the budgets. They are both a disgrace. Anyone arguing for one over the other , has to be dilusional!

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Name me one positive thing mehole could do for this country? Just one liddle thing?

Tackle the insurance industry and compensation culture. Leo has no credibility regarding this matter considering the behaviour of Alan Farrell and Maria Bailey.

Tackle the insurance industry and compensation culture. Leo has no credibility regarding this matter considering the behaviour of Alan Farrell and Maria Bailey.

Doubt ff will do anything different , they are all pigs at the trough and they won’t stop the other pigs at the trough , their mates etc , believe me.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Says the poster that is promoting a party that flung the country into the housing crisis in the first place.

These threads are nauseating, how ugly can a party get when they have to resort to online spin to regurgitate their own tripe. Awful lazy stuff.

With any luck the country will not have forgotten what a shambles the effeffers were the last time they had the wheel. They achieved nothing and delivered nothing …. except that they managed to make the country go broke.

Notwithstanding that they now have the audacity to try to get their paws on the wheel again? To do what , rip the country off twice?

Such a useless spanner does not even deserve to be a TD, never mind run a government. He is so desperate to make it, he is employing a PR company to engage in an online FG smear campaign? I am not surprised … but I mean really, is this the type off plank you want taxing you and wasting your money?

You could be talking about the current, which I think is the problem.

Doubt ff will do anything different , they are all pigs at the trough and they won’t stop the other pigs at the trough , their mates etc , believe me.

My reply was in response to one little thing Martin could do ,as to whether he will or not I've no idea.

As for waste, that's what we have, NCH, IW, leasing and buying instead of building etc. etc.

One party that promises to reward workers or increase tax on workers ?

• Advertisement

I believe MM and FF will build social housing. That puts them above the current 'official' government considering the crises we are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In fairness, any party that campaigned on the basis of "ripping off the workers with taxes to fund all the waste and wasters" would probably need to upgrade their PR advice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

No responsibility at all then on all of the other parties who got elected in 2016 but who shied away from entering government?

We had, for example, the Right2Change alliance who fought the GE on a common platform and won 32 seats, but wouldn't follow through and do a deal to govern.

It's no wonder that people are back supporting FF above the rest of the opposition, when they know now that pretty much everyone else doesn't actually want to govern.

One party that promises to reward workers or increase tax on workers ?
    that supports ripping off the workers with taxes to fund all the waste and wasters

Nobody promises to reward wasters, (outside of salaries and expenses for TD's of course).

I believe MM and FF will build social housing. That puts them above the current 'official' government considering the crises we are in.

The housing situation is so screwed. Say they do build social housing. Will it be for the pittance “ rents “ many of the rebates currently get it for ? What about the huge amounts of workers being robbed blind on market rents. It’s really hard to know who are the lesser of two evils between the two

Charging sfa rent , just massively limits how much more social or affordable housing can be provided

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Oh right, so the country is phucked now because of insurance premiums?

What is mehole going to do about our premiums?

Is he going to have " a serious and stern word with them" …. please.

Name me one thing mehole could do to take on the insurance companies/cartels? one thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The power swap back in full swing. 'Are you right there Michael...your turn.'

As I said upthread, only because the voters go along with it...

Phoebas wrote: »
    No responsibility at all then on all of the other parties who got elected in 2016 but who shied away from entering government?

We had, for example, the Right2Change alliance who fought the GE on a common platform and won 32 seats, but wouldn't follow through and do a deal to govern.

It's no wonder that people are back supporting FF above the rest of the opposition, when they know now that pretty much everyone else doesn't actually want to govern.

That's the propaganda has us caught between FF and FG.
    FG made FF viable again, a lot quicker than they were due. If you recall FF had us 'practically eating out of bins' and slagging them off and promising to 'change the way we do business' got FG in.
    But FF are good enough for 'stability' which is code for hanging on to power lest a third or forth viable option take hold.

Nobody promises to reward wasters, (outside of salaries and expenses for TD's of course).

I agree with a lot of what you say Matt. But not this , they don’t come out and say “ we will reward wasters “ but it’s what they do. I would say all parties , possibly with exception of fg , possibly , for the jobless , support welfare increases. They are one trick ponies. Partially explains the appalling infrastructure here , why waste it on infrastructure, when you can blow it on vote buying welfare increases....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As I said upthread, only because the voters go along with it...

Less and less thankfully.

Advertisement