Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Taoiseach Michael Martin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The housing situation is so screwed. Say they do build social housing. Will it be for the pittance “ rents “ many of the rebates currently get it for ? What about the huge amounts of workers being robbed blind on market rents. It’s really hard to know who are the lesser of two evils between the two

Charging sfa rent , just massively limits how much more social or affordable housing can be provided

We've covered this. Worst case scenario, we build and give to tenants who pay no rent or we lease or buy for tenants who pay no rent. Your choice.
    Same people getting housed, we must pick the best deal for the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Will he be? I thought whomever got the most tds. With a supply and confidence agreement. Like this time round FG had 5 more TDS than FF.
    But next time round it might be same or similar. Varadkar said if FG have more than FF then he wants the lead job. I don't really see FF going along with this too easily. We will probably have a hung parliament for a good while till tds get their fingers out...maybe after 2 elections.
    The composition likely to be
    FG 45 ,FF 50,SF 16,LP 8, Green 6,others 13, independent s 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That's the propaganda has us caught between FF and FG.
    FG made FF viable again, a lot quicker than they were due. If you recall FF had us 'practically eating out of bins' and slagging them off and promising to 'change the way we do business' got FG in.
    But FF are good enough for 'stability' which is code for hanging on to power lest a third or forth viable option take hold.

They annihilated capital spending and borrowed tens of billions , so that nobody was eating out of bins. Unless you were in the private sector and lost your job. The effects the recession had on your income , were a pittance compared to what the taxpayer borrowed to keep your living standards as high as they were ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Oh right, so the country is phucked now because of insurance premiums?

What is mehole going to do about our premiums?

Is he going to have " a serious and stern word with them" …. please.

Name me one thing mehole could do to take on the insurance companies/cartels? one thing?

You asked a question I gave you an answer. Compensation awards here are out of whack with the rest of Europe. A situation easily tackled by government. Strange how Leo hasn't done anything but I suspose with a few in his own party not adverse to claiming seems it's not a priority.
    You don't think high premiums are worthy of action?
    Interesting user name but are you required to live up to it?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what you say Matt. But not this , they don’t come out and say “ we will reward wasters “ but it’s what they do. I would say all parties , possibly with exception of fg , possibly , for the jobless , support welfare increases. They are one trick ponies. Partially explains the appalling infrastructure here , why waste it on infrastructure, when you can blow it on vote buying welfare increases....

What grinds my gears is people moan about the other parties propping up and supporting wasters when Margret Cash et al and any other chancer you can name operate and function under a FF/FG government. How are all the people who caused the crash faring under the last two governments? Same as before.
    Of the two FF are preferable to FG IMO. That's a sadness of biblical proportions and I'll not vote FF, but that's were we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That's the propaganda has us caught between FF and FG.
    FG made FF viable again, a lot quicker than they were due. If you recall FF had us 'practically eating out of bins' and slagging them off and promising to 'change the way we do business' got FG in.
    But FF are good enough for 'stability' which is code for hanging on to power lest a third or forth viable option take hold.

Oh God!
    We're powerless because 'propaganda' has us 'caught'!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Less and less thankfully.

Remains to be seen. FF and FG got round 25% of FPV each in the last GE, IIRC were both on 27% in the latest opinion poll...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You asked a question I gave you an answer. Compensation awards here are out of whack with the rest of Europe. A situation easily tackled by government. Strange how Leo hasn't done anything but I suspose with a few in his own party not adverse to claiming seems it's not a priority.
    You don't think high premiums are worthy of action?
    Interesting user name but are you required to live up to it?

The reality is that the insurance premium issue is dreamt up by the PR team in FF. Nothing more.

Insurance has been a rip-off in this country since the 70's. Are you really expecting the public to fall for such a lame issue? Get a grip. There are a lot more important issues this country needs to face before car premiums become a major issue.

What grinds my gears is people moan about the other parties propping up and supporting wasters when Margret Cash et al and any other chancer you can name operate and function under a FF/FG government. How are all the people who caused the crash faring under the last two governments? Same as before.
    Of the two FF are preferable to FG IMO. That's a sadness of biblical proportions and I'll not vote FF, but that's were we are.
    I totally agree about ff and fg supporting the likes of Margaret!

I’ll tell you what, they are lucky there isn’t a credible party that would reward work and overhaul the welfare state. They would lose voters in their droves and be forced to start looking after these voters ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The reality is that the insurance premium issue is dreamt up by the PR team in FF. Nothing more.

Christ on a bike you really are intent on identifying with your user name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Remains to be seen. FF and FG got round 25% of FPV each in the last GE, IIRC were both on 27% in the latest opinion poll...

Their combined share of the vote is in steady decline...hence the succession of coalition governments and the prospect of more until eventually the 'swap' will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

FF and FG really do have it sewn up between them. There is no too many politicians currently in either party that you would have confidence in no matter the portfolio they were given. The talent pool is very very small at the moment. If you were to pick a cabinet from all the TD's currently elected no matter their party there is very little choice. Its a sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jonny one wrote: »
    6 months from today Michael Martin will be the Taoiseach, how does that make you feel ?

They won't have enough seats themselves so who's going to support them?

Floppybits wrote: »
    FF and FG really do have it sewn up between them. There is no too many politicians currently in either party that you would have confidence in no matter the portfolio they were given. The talent pool is very very small at the moment. If you were to pick a cabinet from all the TD's currently elected no matter their party there is very little choice. Its a sad state of affairs.

It’s not even the “ talent” or lack of it , that is the issue. You think it’s lack of talent , that has everything here a shambles ? It’s the system , and no way in hell is one irrelevant minister etc , going to stop that juggernaut, no matter how capable or well intentioned...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Their combined share of the vote is in steady decline...hence the succession of coalition governments and the prospect of more until eventually the 'swap' will end.

Don't think that's a given. IMO it's quite possible that FF are on a long-term upward curve that could see them return to being the dominant party of government...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Disagree there, I'd say more than likely ff and a few others next time round, with nothing really changing

People tend to stick with status quo when economically things seem ok. Also changing governments just as the effects of Brexit will kick in probably will sway voters to stick with the devil they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Only because the voters choose to make it happen...

Because...... FG prove to be even worse in Government!

Think about it. In 2011 FF were roundly rejected by the electorate and FG were given a mandate to make the painful changes needed to sort it out AND prevent it from happening again!

Instead we got "business as usual" with scandal after scandal, and astonishing levels of arrogance. Luckily the wider global economy recovered - and Ireland being a services and export economy hugely dependent on FDI readily and rapidly benefitted from this.

Yet, FG's biggest achievement was to take the goodwill and mandate they were given to actually really CHANGE the country, and flush it down the toilet, thereby putting FF in the driving seat once again.

The voters didn't make it happen. The credit for FF's resurgence is entirely FG's.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Same circus just a different bunch of clowns. Nothing changes here in Ireland, just which political party's friends get to gourge on the taxpayers largesse.

It is so because that is what Irish society wants.

We have free and open elections....
    at least every 5 years....
    there are alternative parties/individuals....
    it's not that had get on the ticket....

Phoebas wrote: »
    Oh God!
    We're powerless because 'propaganda' has us 'caught'!

Just pointing out often the same people who whinge about there being no options are the same ones telling everyone not to vote for anyone and sure may as well stick with FG, because they're sh*te, but dem others are worser...probably.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The credit for FF's resurgence is entirely FG's.
    Let me get this straight - people are searching around for alternatives to FG.
    They've looked at all of the alternatives and they've concluded that the best possible alternative out there to FG are FF.

And this is entirely FG's doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Jonny one wrote: »
    6 months from today Michael Martin will be the Taoiseach, how does that make you feel ?

Queasy, if not downright nauseous.

Don't think that's a given. IMO it's quite possible that FF are on a long-term upward curve that could see them return to being the dominant party of government...

Nothing is a given. We are a young country born out of a civil war, the politics of which were still raging when I was a teenager and is slowly dissipating since with the two parties being almost indistinguishable now. As civil war politics dissipated so also has the vote share of these two parties. That is a 'given'.

Let me get this straight - people are searching around for alternatives to FG.
    They've looked at all of the alternatives and they've concluded that the best possible alternative out there to FG are FF.

And this is entirely FG's doing?

FG gave FF credibility with the supply and scratch my back set up. It seems everything bad FG said about FF was water under the bridge. Now if you're a voter floats between the two or recently voted FG, you'd be more willing to consider FF based on FG's actions. Also being in the news regular regarding state policy doesn't do any harm. Most don't look to see what Gino has by the way of policy, but he might get more votes if FG brought him to the power table, don't you think?
    That's what FG did for FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Fianna Fail will win power 100% guaranteed, Rural Ireland will backlash at Leo Varadkar, the D4 elite gay half Indian is a harder sell to Rural Ireland than Trump is to California or Hillary Clinton to Alabama.

FG gave FF credibility with the supply and scratch my back set up.
    Yeah I remember how that came about.

After the last election all of the other parties who went out there on the doorsteps campaigning about what they would do if they got our votes - they all decided that they didn't want power after all.

If you look back on threads on this site you'll see vociferous opponents of FF and FG urging them to join forces and go into government together.

theguzman wrote: »
    the D4 elite gay half Indian is a harder sell to Rural Ireland than Trump is to California or Hillary Clinton to Alabama.

Nonsense. He will be a hard sell because his party have shown themselves to be inept in so many ways and arrogant (a perennial problem with this party)

Yeah I remember how that came about.

After the last election all of the other parties who went out there on the doorsteps campaigning about what they would do if they got our votes - they all decided that they didn't want power after all.

If you look back on threads on this site you'll see vociferous opponents of FF and FG urging them to join forces and go into government together.

That's right. Parties, their supporters and the like for decades are just about getting a few lads jobs in politics :rolleyes:

It's all about keeping down a third option. Not stability. Labour had a shot, blew it, SF had a shot blew it. FG looked after FF. If FF were left out in the wilderness they might only be seeing a rise recently based on FG's arrogance tripping them up once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

theguzman wrote: »
    Fianna Fail will win power 100% guaranteed, Rural Ireland will backlash at Leo Varadkar, the D4 elite gay half Indian is a harder sell to Rural Ireland than Trump is to California or Hillary Clinton to Alabama.

We have gays and Indians in rural Ireland these days too ya know....

It's not the 1960's down here :pac:

• Advertisement

We have gays and Indians in rural Ireland these days too ya know....

It's not the 1960's down here :pac:

Sure the Mammy is from Wexford.

Advertisement