Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't access hotmail

Options
  • 06-01-2020 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have two factor authentication enabled on my Hotmail account. I also have mail forwarding enabled. I use a yubikey and an authenticator app.

I changed the password two days ago (24 characters long), a combination of upper and lower case characters and numbers.

I can't log in not. The password is not recognized and I attempted to retrieve the account with no success. The mail forwarding has also been switched off to my back up email.

I'm not sure what to do or who is behind this. I can't see how anyone would have access to any of these things. When I sign in with security key I get this message.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I have two factor authentication enabled on my Hotmail account. I also have mail forwarding enabled. I use a yubikey and an authenticator app.

I changed the password two days ago (24 characters long), a combination of upper and lower case characters and numbers.

I can't log in not. The password is not recognized and I attempted to retrieve the account with no success. The mail forwarding has also been switched off to my back up email.

I'm not sure what to do or who is behind this. I can't see how anyone would have access to any of these things. When I sign in with security key I get this message.

As much i recall, Hotmail/Outlook password is limited to 16 characters. Try first 16 characters from you 24 pass, if it fail contact MS for recovery options or go through "forgot password"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just to save you the trouble, if you can’t access the account MS will be of absolutely zero assistance in resolving it.

MS will assist, if you be able to get through to person(that might be difficult), not vending machine, of course providing you be able to prove you are who you claim you are.
    Once you have your phone/other mail linked with them it should be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Elite Woad Raider

i managed to resolve it. i was trying to login via tor and my recovery code appeared while i was trying to login. i guess i wont be using hotmail again.

i will try using protonmail in future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement