Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council Registration (the joys)

Options
  • 06-01-2020 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭

Just a couple of questions regarding this...

I have been working in the UK since qualifying from an Irish college and am now looking to register.

Will the teaching council accept a UK school principal for the character reference?

Also, what are the chances that my teaching experience in the UK will be recognised so that it corresponds to my point on the pay scale?

I have been working in private schools here, so don't have QTS, and I expect I will be given conditional registration as I have not completed Droichead.

If anyone has any experience with this, or any other pointers, it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Just bumping this to see if anyone has any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I can't see why they wouldn't accept a character reference from the UK. All you can do is supply the reference and hope for the best. If they reject it then ask what alternative they'd suggest.

Hopefully they will recognise your experience if you apply for incremental credit. Organise the forms asap because your UK employers have to complete a section on them too. I was successfully awarded incremental credit for experience as an SNA, teaching assistant and Learning Support teacher in private schools here in Ireland. I was very specific on detailing the duties and responsibilities I carried out in the previous roles. If your application is refused you can appeal it. If you've taught at primary level I don't see why you would be refused, there is a specific box to tick for this type of experience if I recall correctly.

Droichead is a good process if you've got a good professional support team around you, they will have been trained to support you so hopefully you find that condition easy to satisfy.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I can't see why they wouldn't accept a character reference from the UK. All you can do is supply the reference and hope for the best. If they reject it then ask what alternative they'd suggest.

Hopefully they will recognise your experience if you apply for incremental credit. Organise the forms asap because your UK employers have to complete a section on them too. I was successfully awarded incremental credit for experience as an SNA, teaching assistant and Learning Support teacher in private schools here in Ireland. I was very specific on detailing the duties and responsibilities I carried out in the previous roles. If your application is refused you can appeal it. If you've taught at primary level I don't see why you would be refused, there is a specific box to tick for this type of experience if I recall correctly.

Droichead is a good process if you've got a good professional support team around you, they will have been trained to support you so hopefully you find that condition easy to satisfy.

Thanks for the response. Good to know about Droichead. I am not opposed to doing professional development as long as it is useful.

I have all the paperwork ready to go for the incremental credit application. I am just wary as it makes reference to the school being overseen by a State Authority. The independent schools inspectorate in the UK isn't, but it is checked on by Ofsted. I suppose I'll just have to see how it goes. I'm not a huge fan of paperwork!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus. If you’re not a fan of paperwork, maybe modern teaching isn’t for you?

:D

Well it is getting to the stage that UK private schools are just as bad as state schools for paperwork.

I am hoping back home is still a few years off that, if not, you may well be right :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement