Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Z4 memory cooling solution

Options
  • 06-01-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

I seem to remember getting a warning message about this before on another Z4, I've fitted 4 x 8GB and the message to install a cooling kit isn't showing.

Bng71h6

https://ibb.co/Bng71h6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RAM doesn't need active cooling unless the airflow is utter crap, especially if it's running below 3000MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The warning says cooling only required for 32GB ECC Dimms with that mentioned Xeon processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Inquitus wrote: »
    The warning says cooling only required for 32GB ECC Dimms with that mentioned Xeon processor.

It has the Xeon processor, do you take it to mean having one 32GB Ram stick or any combination of ECC RAM that amounts to 32GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Seanachai wrote: »
    It has the Xeon processor, do you take it to mean having one 32GB Ram stick or any combination of ECC RAM that amounts to 32GB?

Likely 32Gb per stick, as the heat density might be enough to warrant cooling.

If you're really worried, just jerryrig a small Noctua fan in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If you fit 32GB sticks, you need cooling per K.O.Kiki, in your case you are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Inquitus wrote: »
    If you fit 32GB sticks, you need cooling per K.O.Kiki, in your case you are fine.

Cheers, I thought you were invoking some sort of Maori tribal law there for a minute until I copped it was a user name :p

Advertisement