Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Amplifier - Repair or Replace

• 06-01-2020 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Hi Everybody,

So a couple of years ago I inherited an audio system from my late uncle.

There are a few bits that off hand I can't think of the brand, a record player/ CD player and radio tuner but there were 2 pieces that I was particularity interested in over the rest.

An NAD 3130 amp and a pair of Heybrook HB2 speakers.

As most of my music is now digital I have a JDS Labs C5D portable USB headphone amp and DAC modified so that the amp is bypassed so it acts as a pure DAC playing from my laptop.

The NAD amp and speakers were working OK when i got it but recently it has degraded in quality, at this stage I am unsure if it's related to the AMP or the speakers, I am suspecting it's the AMP as one of the speaker channels was not working when i got it, I am assuming the second is now on it's way out too.

My main question is is it worth trying to get these checked out or fixed and is there anywhere that would offer such a service / would parts be available?

Before I inherited this system I had my eye on a set of Q Acoustics 3020s which I was going to combine with an NAD 3020 v2 amp.

I kind of like the idea of keeping and repairing this as both and ode to my late uncle and for the excellent sound but I need to be realistic in terms of if it's going to be possible / cost effective to do so.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated (pun intended ;-))

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would get it repaired.
    Both the amp and speakers were top class in their day.
    I still have my system from the early 90's but am hugely regretting getting rid of my vinyl and going to cd format back then. :(
    What model record deck is it?

As for the Q Acoustics?
    I have a pair of 3010i speakers hooked to an Denon system in the bedroom, I find the bass a bit harsh, if that makes sense !
    Then again I am comparing them to my Bose 4000XL speakers on my old kit and they are real bass speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

vectra wrote: »
    I would get it repaired.
    Both the amp and speakers were top class in their day.
    I still have my system from the early 90's but am hugely regretting getting rid of my vinyl and going to cd format back then. :(
    What model record deck is it?

As for the Q Acoustics?
    I have a pair of 3010i speakers hooked to an Denon system in the bedroom, I find the bass a bit harsh, if that makes sense !
    Then again I am comparing them to my Bose 4000XL speakers on my old kit and they are real bass speakers.

Thanks , yeah I know what you mean about the bass it is a little excessive on them alright, I am not home until the weekend but I'll have a look at the record player then. Can't think of the model off hand, I still have a good few original vinal records from the 60s , 70s and 80s all my mums , but don't listen as much as I should. Love the sound though.

Have you any recommendations for places that do repairs on old audio equipment, I'm based in Wicklow/Dublin but would travel if need be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Not from that part of the country but what about this company? >https://ie.electronic.partners/services/audio-repairs-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Sorry for dragging up the topic again. unfortunately due to Covid i was unable to get these serviced yet. i was able to pick up some new cable though in case that was the isse and i am looking to find some banana plugs.

As Far as i know the plugs needed for both the amp and the speakers use the 2mm connector. i am finding it hard to get a set all that seems to be available are the 4mm connectors , i only have 2 of them left not broken, any idea where i can get similar?

images are not posting for some reason , below are the urls of the pictures

https://ibb.co/Ns3g42T

https://ibb.co/865SR0V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

U_Fig wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up the topic again. unfortunately due to Covid i was unable to get these serviced yet. i was able to pick up some new cable though in case that was the isse and i am looking to find some banana plugs.

As Far as i know the plugs needed for both the amp and the speakers use the 2mm connector. i am finding it hard to get a set all that seems to be available are the 4mm connectors , i only have 2 of them left not broken, any idea where i can get similar?

images are not posting for some reason , below are the urls of the pictures

https://ibb.co/Ns3g42T

https://ibb.co/865SR0V

Amazon.co.uk will have them I'd say!

• Advertisement
Advertisement