Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swarovski - Warranty Repair gone wrong - legal rights?

Options
  • 06-01-2020 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭

One of Mrs Sleepy's Swarovski figurines had a minor issue and, rather than fix it myself with some glass glue, I dropped it into Swarovski to get it sent off to Austria to be repaired under warranty.

All was fine until last week when I got a call to tell me that the repair centre had returned the item as irreparable because it was smashed to pieces. It seems that the item was destroyed in transit between the Swarovski store and the repair centre in Austria. The girl calling me needed to talk to her store manager to find out what they could do for us and I've not heard back from them yet despite being supposed to hear back last Thursday.

Now, normally I'd assume they'd be responsible for a replacement or damages to the value of the piece but as the figurine has been retired (it was a 2008 model), I'm worried they may not be able to offer a replacement and, looking online (ebay) the piece has appreciated significantly in value since I bought it for Mrs Sleepy (300ish to nearly 600ish on the second hand market).

What would our legal right be here? A replacement would be the easiest option if the parent company have one in a store somewhere (and it's what I'm hoping for) but if they can't offer this what level of compensation would we be entitled to? The original selling price? Or the items current market value?

To possibly complicate things further, I popped over to the Blanchardstown centre this morning and the store appears to have been boarded up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Original purchase price, but bare in mind, it is 12 years old so you may not be entitled to the price paid when you bought it as you have had 12 years “use” of the item. Also, it was damaged when you handed it in so current, appreciated price would likely only apply to undamaged item.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Even in the condition it was given to them in, it would have been worth more than OPP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sleepy wrote: »
    Even in the condition it was given to them in, it would have been worth more than OPP...

Appreciation doesn't come in to it - yours was broken any way so value would have been affected. Original Purchase Price is all you'd be entitled to. They may offer more but don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Was the item inspected in the shop or did they just forward your parcel to the repair centre?

Advertisement