Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What make TRV’s to purchase

• 06-01-2020 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to buy TRV’s for all my radiators. Im just wondering which make to get? I have a very basic heating system; gas boiler, open vented heating system. No zone controls on the heating system, just a bog standard apt mechanical timeclock at the boiler.

Im not looking for anything too expensive nor do I want to buy the cheapest crap out there either.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I like the Danfoss TRVs , have used them for years when plumbing and my own house. That being said, nothing wrong with alot of the myson ones also.

If you are putting TRVs on every rad make sure you have a bypass rad or auto bypass so the pump doesnt dead heat or pump over into tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Agree on the Danfoss - easy to fit, and you can get kits from heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk (no affiliation)

A few things to keep an eye out for:

Does the TRV handle reverse flow, or does it need to be orientated a specific way (note the Danfoss RAS-C2 does, which is useful: https://assets.danfoss.com/documents/DOC012486402461/DOC012486402461.pdf )

Do you want to set minimum and maximum temperatures to prevent people getting into on/off control? The Drayton RT212 supports this (and I found this easy to fit and gave effective control)

What is the actuation material - liquid is better than the wax ones

What are your rad connections - the kits can be handy in case you need to replace the leg off the rad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

I fitted 6 sanbra fyffe bi directional & 2 myson approx. 10 years ago and have replaced two in that time, I fitted mine on the return as IMO the sensing head is less affected by the colder rad return temp, the uni directional ones are supposed to be fitted on the flow side only. I think the replacement sanbra fyffe is now the instantor and is uni directional but I have seen EPH ones on my relations new (3 year) install and these I think are bi directional. All of these are in the €12 to €15 bracket but ensure that your rad bottoms are sludge free before fitting, otherwise, a waste of time/money.
    I have two rads without TRVs controlled by one roomstat so there is always a path for the water without fitting a ABV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Kealyboy

Can anyone tell me what size rad valve tail this is? I think its 3/4”

Im purchasing TRV’s today and want to make sure I have the right size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

You will have to remove the old 3/4" tails, if very old you may have to use a suitable "allen" key but I just used a bolt head and vice grips to remove mine, you will have the required (2) 3/4" replacements included with the TRV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement