Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK's Most Prolific Rapist Gets 30 Years

Options
  • 06-01-2020 6:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/06/reynhard-sinaga-jailed-life-drugging-raping-men-manchester

Absolutely insane stuff - 195 victims, most of which didn't realise they were victims until the police told them years later.

Harrowing story, and emphasises the vulnerability of people when they're heavily drunk and alone. Not sure why the judge decided it was a "borderline case" and opted not to impose the first life sentence for a non-murder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Reading that story earlier, absolute monster who preyed on young drunk men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Very lucky that he didn't have HIV or AIDS, he would have infected alot if he had most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Hopefully his fellow inmates have watched the Fran snooker cue scene in "Love/Hate" for ideas on how to welcome him to the prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

What an evil ****er. Tried to claim consent too, imagine how hard it would be to prove anything if not his habit of recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Amirani wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/06/reynhard-sinaga-jailed-life-drugging-raping-men-manchester

Absolutely insane stuff - 195 victims, most of which didn't realise they were victims until the police told them years later.

Harrowing story, and emphasises the vulnerability of people when they're heavily drunk and alone. Not sure why the judge decided it was a "borderline case" and opted not to impose the first life sentence for a non-murder.
    Horrendous stuff really not half long enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

I wonder how many victims were happier going about their business not knowing of the horror. Ignorance might've been bliss..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I know it's right usage but prolific always looks wrong to me when they use it like this. Prolific makes me think of really good striker scoring loads of goals.

Concurrent sentences really are stupid. 88 life sentences means nothing in reality if it has a minimum of 20 years. Play the game and show yourself to be reformed and you could be out then.

"Sinaga is already serving 88 concurrent life sentences with a minimum of 20 years "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I read earlier that it was 60 years not 30. He needs to be kept locked up for the rest of his natural life, he has shown no remorse apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

The last victim gave him a good hiding left him with a bleed on the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

The last victim gave him a good hiding left him with a bleed on the brain.

Was that in the article? I didn't see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Was that in the article? I didn't see that.

Either way, his final victim, an 18-year-old he had met outside Factory nightclub, woke up face down with his jeans and boxer shorts around his knees. He realised Sinaga was sexually assaulting him and pushed his shorter and slighter attacker off, beating him up so badly he thought he might have killed him.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/06/reynhard-sinaga-serial-rapist-posed-good-samaritan-lure-men

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Hopefully his fellow inmates have watched the Fran snooker cue scene in "Love/Hate" for ideas on how to welcome him to the prison.

He'd probably enjoy something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Was just listening to a news commentator on BBC discussing this story and all she said repeatedly was - 'he needs a lot of help'.

I think he should be consigned to the metaphorical rubbish bin and left in a cell for as long as possible.

Honestly, I worry more and more every day about the bizarre attitude of lefty do-gooder types. I'm more worried about them than I am of some rare prolific serial rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

The stuff of nightmares, alright. If you thought about the fact that people like this were out and about you wouldn't ever leave the house. At least this one has finally been caught.

Makes you wonder how such a monster was created...upbringing? Spoiled by parents? Born evil?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Not often I wish it on anyone, but I reeeeeally hope he gets an old fashioned prison welcome. And I hope he's awake for the entirety so he can feel everything- pain, fear, all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Few if any of the victims knew they had been raped.

How does that work? Surely you'd know if something had gone the wrong way up a one way street (if you were a one way street guy)

Hoboo wrote: »
    Few if any of the victims knew they had been raped.

How does that work? Surely you'd know if something had gone the wrong way up a one way street (if you were a one way street guy)

I was thinking the same myself. First I read they were all straight men that got attacked, then read elsewhere he met some in gay bars and on grindr.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The stuff of nightmares, alright. If you thought about the fact that people like this were out and about you wouldn't ever leave the house. At least this one has finally been caught.

Makes you wonder how such a monster was created...upbringing? Spoiled by parents? Born evil?

He was spoiled rotten. His father is a banker in Indonesia, this pr!ck couldn't hold down a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

One teenager described Sinaga as “an evil predator” and “faceless monster”, and said the day he was told by police that he had been raped “changed my life for ever”. He said he began drinking heavily and having panic attacks, and considered self-harm, abandoning a teaching course.

Another man, who had a promising career when he was attacked by Sinaga, said he would have killed himself were it not for his mother, one of the only family members or friends he had been able to tell what had happened.

I appreciate that the police have to inform the victims but considering the way people react to the news that they have been raped is there a case for not telling some of them? Could they not charge him with the video evidence etc. and not drag the victims into it (especially the ones that were blissfully unaware)?

If you had been raped in the past and had zero recollection would you really want that news and all the suffering and mental health problems etc. that will come with it? I would not. Ignorance really might be better for some in this rare situation. With this many victims, especially males, a few suicides are possible, there must be a way to catch the offender without further ruining their lives?

Human nature dictates that many of us do not react well to extreme shocks like this. The worst part is that some who are sexually abused, react by going on to become abusers. Wouldn't they be better off not knowing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Rezident wrote: »
    I appreciate that the police have to inform the victims but considering the way people react to the news that they have been raped is there a case for not telling some of them? Could they not charge him with the video evidence etc. and not drag the victims into it (especially the ones that were blissfully unaware)?

If you had been raped in the past and had zero recollection would you really want that news and all the suffering and mental health problems etc. that will come with it? I would not. Ignorance really might be better for some in this rare situation. With this many victims, especially males, a few suicides are possible, there must be a way to catch the offender without further ruining their lives?

Human nature dictates that many of us do not react well to extreme shocks like this. The worst part is that some who are sexually abused, react by going on to become abusers. Wouldn't they be better off not knowing?

No, they couldn't charge him just based on the videos because the piece of **** denied it and claimed it was consensual.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Rezident wrote: »

It's an interesting question in a philosophical way I suppose, but I don't think the police have that luxury/approach.

Anyway, the publicity that accompanied this verdict, along with video/photos of his flat and the very mattress where these men were raped (after being drugged first on some/most/all occasions) will be causing some men to be casting their minds back to a drunken night in Manchester when they woke up in a strangle flat with no memory of falling asleep there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

osarusan wrote: »
    It's an interesting question in a philosophical way I suppose, but I don't think the police have that luxury/approach.

Anyway, the publicity that accompanied this verdict, along with video/photos of his flat and the very mattress where these men were raped (after being drugged first on some/most/all occasions) will be causing some men to be casting their minds back to a drunken night in Manchester when they woke up in a strangle flat with no memory of falling asleep there.

That it seems quite a number of them were then giving evidence in person suggests that they are happier knowing about it. There must have been some serious overtime going on with the Manchester psychiatric services the last year or so.

this creep just sounds like an over privileged arrogant little **** who thinks he can do whatever he likes, to whomever he likes.

He could have saved a lot of heartache for his victims, but instead chose to deny each case and put them through not only the ordeal, but also the humiliation of having the videos shown to the jurors.

absolute little prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The c*nt deserves that and more.

f*cking sick case...

Advertisement