Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feline Leukemia

• 06-01-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

Brought a cat to the emergency vet. yesterday as he was struggling to breathe.
    Tests ran today revealed leukemia. He's about 6 years old, rescued 4 years ago.
    I'll be speaking to the vet. tomorrow.
    Does anyone have experience of it, hands-on advice?
    How contagious can it be to healthy cats?

Lucky is the cat's name...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There is some risk to other cats. It is transmitted via bodily fluids, urine and faeces. My understanding is most cats contract it from fighting. It might be best to keep the cat as an indoor cat from now on. Do you own other cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Yes but all in tip top shape. How susceptible would they be to contracting it I wonder?
    I had him at vet. on Saturday for a check-up ( he could have picked something up there) Was planning on having the canines removed soon. The rest of the teeth were removed a few months back - all down to gingivitis.
    He'll climb the walls keeping him in.
    Very gentle cat; he'd be down the garden with some birds walking within a foot of him and he'd just watch them.

A poster called anniehoo took in a cat a good few years ago. I can't remember if it had feline leukima or feline aids. She kept it indoors and didn't see a risk to her existing cat as they got on great. I was trying to search her posts there but can't find anything on it. Unfortunately I think she's no longer on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

You can have your other cats tested to see if they are currently carriers of felv (feline leukemia). If they are negative they can be vaccinated. Its a quick blood test and you can get the results within 5-10mins.
    They cant be vaccinated if the blood test is positive for the gene, as it can trigger the full blown disease.

I will have the other cats tested tomorrow. They can have it without showing symptoms.
    The two 8 month olds are currently indoor due to go out at end of February. The three older cats are in and out. All that may change.
    If Lucky remains the only carrier then it won't be possible to keep him separated.
    The vet. said the best thing for Lucky is probably euthanasia.
    And she said feline leukemia is becoming more prevalent; she is seeing more and more cases. Just recently a litter of newborns.

• Advertisement

I had an adult cat who was always allowed access to the outdoors, but I ended up having to confine her indoors from the age of 7 as she started to take seizures randomly. She crawled the walls at first, begged to go out, but eventually was content enough to stay indoors.
    So if it comes to that with your other cats, it can be done, even with adult cats. As long as you provide plenty of entertainment and stimulation for them indoors. Or theres always the “catio” option, an outdoor enclosed areas for the cats.

Hope Lucky is true to his name and pulls through.

I have a four month old kitten who had a reaction to her leukemia vaccine and developed a 2cm lump (recommend biopsy after 2cm) also two smaller nodes on the reaction site. They have all resolved and she was never in any way sick or out of sorts. But the vet did say they would recommend not giving her this vaccine again. That worries me as after she is spayed (around St Patrick's Day) she will be allowed to go outside.

I don't want to hijack the thread but since people are here discussing this condition I thought I could ask.

I really hope Lucky is ok!

I'm glad the kitten has no symptoms.
    All comments are welcome! I didn't know about the danger and vaccine and I blame myself for that.
    We have Lucky 4 years so he might have it a long time or caught it from the rescues over those years.
    I think the 'catio' is a good idea.

Just back from the vet. All cats tested negative and now vaccinated.
    We had to let Lucky go. It's always difficult and especially so with the cats which had always had to battle for their health.

I'm sorry for your loss OP. At least your other cats are OK now. Look after yourself.

• Advertisement

Awww poor Lucky. So sorry it ended that way.
    Am glad your other cats are all negative, will put your mind at rest going forward.
    Take care.

Advertisement