Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Window Tint

Options
  • 06-01-2020 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I had a 15 inch sunstrip on my focus for the last year. Today, I was stopped at a checkpoint and made take it off. My question is, What is the legal limit for a sunstrip when there is no black mark on the windscreen?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

As far as I know in Ireland legal tint on Front and front side is so minimal you can barely see it and its pointless getting it done.

Failed an NCT on A4 front window side tint that was so faint that I did not even know it was even tinted for the 3 years I had it. When it was removed, didn't notice the difference either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

But there's a difference between a window tint and sunstrip. Alot of cars come with a sunstrip of sorts as standard.

According rsa anything that goes below the top of the wipers reach is deemed an obstruction of sight so that seems to be the limit

Visors are ignored as they are only temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Don't know how true it is but heard the sun strip shouldn't cover anywhere the wiper reaches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Do you mean 15 inches or cm?

15inches would nearly be half your windscreen, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

pippip wrote: »
    But there's a difference between a window tint and sunstrip. Alot of cars come with a sunstrip of sorts as standard.

According rsa anything that goes below the top of the wipers reach is deemed an obstruction of sight so that seems to be the limit

Visors are ignored as they are only temporary.

Guard at the checkpoint showed me the black mark on the windscreen of his i40, which he said is the legal limit for a sunstrip. I would say it was about 6 inches down from the top.

• Advertisement

pippip wrote: »
    Do you mean 15 inches or cm?

15inches would nearly be half your windscreen, no?

No I mean 15 inches, was About a third of the windscreen mabye a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

It's a lot of obstruction to be fair.... If it is an obstruction??
    Can you see through it much from the inside?
    At first glance I'd say that's probably illegal and rightly so, although I don't know the law on this one...

It's a lot of obstruction to be fair.... If it is an obstruction??
    Can you see through it much from the inside?
    At first glance I'd say that's probably illegal and rightly so, although I don't know the law on this one...

Its not an obstruction at all. It is illegal the way it is, despite being 100% safe. It is as easy see through it as it is a normal windscreen during the day. In fact, it is easier see as it stops the sun from blinding me. At night it is not as clear, but the tint ends above my eye level so what is seen through the tint doesn't matter. Road can be seen perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That stripe is way to dark for the front windows, if you look at a few cars you'll see that some have a factory tint about 10cm from the roof you're way to far down the window to be legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jaysus - Illegal number plates, illegal sun-strip, padre pio sticker and wheels that are at risk of falling off. That’s Connect 4. Please say those are yellow fogs too.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Jaysus - Illegal number plates, illegal sun-strip, padre pio sticker and wheels that are at risk of falling off. That’s Connect 4. Please say those are yellow fogs too.

Are number plates not legal once they have IRL on them?
    Wheels are 100% according to local garage
    Yes the fogs are the original yellow:)

Are number plates not legal once they have IRL on them

No. I’m surprised they didn’t do you for them.

No. I’m surprised they didn’t do you for them.

Are you sure them plates are illegal. He took a picture of them to check up about the car and never said a word about them:confused:

Are you sure them plates are illegal. He took a picture of them to check up about the car and never said a word about them:confused:

They definately are illegal. Sure the letters and numbers are half the height that they should be and there’s no heiphens between the numbers and letters

They definately are illegal. Sure the letters and numbers are half the height that they should be and there’s no heiphens between the numbers and letters

Didn't think that mattered once the IRL was there. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Car license plates have to meet the legal requirements, otherwise you can be summonsed to court:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/si/318/made/en/print
    13. The placename shall appear in black letters above the identification mark and each letter of the placename shall have a height of not less than 12 millimetres and a stroke width of not less than 3 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter (other than the letter I) shall be not less than 9 millimetres. Where an accented vowel occurs in the placename the length accent character shall have a height of 2 millimetres above the letter. The distances between the nearest parts of adjoining letters shall be uniform. Where the placename comprises more than one word the distances between the nearest letters of adjoining words shall be uniform and not less than three times the distance between adjoining letters.

14. The identification mark shall appear in black characters and each letter or figure shall have a height of 70 millimetres and a stroke width of 10 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter or figure (other than the letter "I" or the number "1") shall be 36 millimetres. The distances between adjoining letters and adjoining figures shall be uniform and shall be not less than 8 millimetres.

15. The distance between the inner edge of the blue background of the flag of the European Communities and the first letter of the placename shall be equal to the distance between the last letter of the placename and the inner edge of the black border on the right-hand side of the plate and shall be not less than 8 millimetres.

And the front window strip is an obstruction to a clear view.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

OP was pulled for this and probably rightly so. However we all still are legally required to obstruct our windscreens with 3 pieces of paper to prove we have given the government and the insurance cartels our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AlfaZen wrote: »
    OP was pulled for this and probably rightly so. However we all still are legally required to obstruct our windscreens with 3 pieces of paper to prove we have given the government and the insurance cartels our money.

I've never been in a situation where the 3 discs affected my driving. They are in the bottom left of my screen and don't obstruct anything, where are you putting yours that they cause an obstruction when driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Unless you're sharing the road with a few of these badboys your discs aren't obscuring anything.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRS6-RJbUxKowZiDlHFrzeSIQlLru56skSaTRaFCD7M8HSrwqAB

AlfaZen wrote: »

I have no problem with them on the windscreen at all. Doesn't obstruct my view in any way and is important to be in a place that is easily accessible to a guard. Pity they don't focus more on these lads going around with no tax, nct or insurance and less time giving people fines for "illegal" plates and "illegal" tints which pose as a threat to absolutely no one. While I was stopped yesterday, 5 or 6 cars were pulled, asked for a license and told they can go. Not one of the windscreens was checked.

Those sunstrips are like a huge neon sign that says “stop me”

Those sunstrips are like a huge neon sign that says “stop me”

100%. The guard actually told me I was drawing attention to myself and luckily enough he was sound enough about it.

On a seperate note, I was told to bring my license and registration into the local station within the next 10 days. What is meant by registration? I assume it is the registration certificate of the car. Mabye someone on here knows. Thanks.

You sure it wasn’t insurance they needed? Licence and registration is what cops look for in America.

You sure it wasn’t insurance they needed? Licence and registration is what cops look for in America.

No he definetly said registration details. Ill bring insurance details to be safe aswell though.

Get them to note it in their diary/book as well.

Get them to note it in their diary/book as well.

Why’s that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Dont you have to be able to see intoo. It is dangerous when someone is pulling out and you can't see if they are looking that they have seen you. Or see if they are waving you on. Cops don't do their job re plate especially the clowns with northern type yellow rear

• Advertisement

Why’s that?

Because it has often happened that you could get a summons despite having produced at the station

Advertisement