Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Window Tint

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've never been in a situation where the 3 discs affected my driving. They are in the bottom left of my screen and don't obstruct anything, where are you putting yours that they cause an obstruction when driving?

I did not say they affected my driving, just that I'd prefer if they were not there. With today's technology there is no need from them. I have them in the bottom left also but I prefer them in the top left but with my factory tinted sun-visor they cannot been read clearly in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No he definetly said registration details. Ill bring insurance details to be safe aswell though.

Bring everything licence, nct cert, insurance and VLC. Make sure you get a PULSE receipt when you produce, they haven't used a book for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AlfaZen wrote: »
    I did not say they affected my driving, just that I'd prefer if they were not there. With today's technology there is no need from them. I have them in the bottom left also but I prefer them in the top left but with my factory tinted sun-visor they cannot been read clearly in that position.

The UK abolished tax discs and their evasion has exploded. The mark one human eyeball and paper is still the best method for making sure that the vehicle is legal.

Dont you have to be able to see intoo. It is dangerous when someone is pulling out and you can't see if they are looking that they have seen you. Or see if they are waving you on. Cops don't do their job re plate especially the clowns with northern type yellow rear

No, someone looking at you or waving to you means nothing.

They look a bit stupid but I don’t really get why the sun strips are illegal really as they are not obstructing the road in anyway. The sun-visor causes much more of an obstruction when down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I'd say low sun strips are illegal for the same reason window tints on a windscreen are.

According to this window tints are illegal as -

There are also enforcement issues for An Garda Síochána in regard to driver
    recognition and the detection of driving offences e.g. holding a mobile phone while driving and other criminal activity.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Vehicle_Parts/FAQs%20on%20Window%20Tinting.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Del2005 wrote: »
    The UK abolished tax discs and their evasion has exploded. The mark one human eyeball and paper is still the best method for making sure that the vehicle is legal.

There was an increase when the the physical paper disc requirement was removed in 2014 however, this has been trending back down for the past 2 years. The current rate of vehicles without valid Road Tax is 1.6% (2.5% in Northern Ireland).

This "explosion" of evasion as you call it could be down to a number of reasons including the fact that people no longer have a physical reminder in their window.
    The fact that it is trending back down would indicate that the bedding in process is coming to an end and people have adapted to the change.

The eyeball method can be fooled by fake or doctored discs where as the NPR system is a live Database.

Think of the money that could be saved without millions of discs been processed and sent through the mail each year.

UK DOT information on Road Tax Evasion.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/847426/vehicle-excise-duty-evasion-statistics-2019.pdf

With regards to the Irish evasion rate according to a Special report in 2015 this is not even tracked but it was estimated to be 5%.
    Motor tax controls
    The level of compliance with motor tax regulations is not monitored or reported.
    Analysis by the Department of Transport of vehicles on the M50 motorway in 2010 and
    2011 indicated a motor tax evasion rate of around 5%, but that analysis has not been
    repeated due to data protection concerns. Therefore, there is no current estimate of the
    motor tax evasion rate and the impact of changes to regulations governing off-the-road
    declarations has not been ascertained. There is also limited validation of the
    information provided when taxing a vehicle.

https://www.audit.gov.ie/en/Find-Report/Publications/2017/Special-Report-97-Administration-and-Collection-of-Motor-Tax.pdf

But yea our "Eyeball" method is much better for making sure vehicles are correctly taxed than what they have in the UK and other countries.

Advertisement