Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted abduction in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

White shirt and dark trousers is not a great description but presumably it was difficult for the poor woman to process what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

White shirt and dark trousers is not a great description but presumably it was difficult for the poor woman to process what happened.

But no better description from the passing motorist?

• Site Banned Posts: 29 The 2020s

This man could strike again and Gardaí are very keen to find him.

I must say it was a very brazen attack on the woman at that hour of the morning with all the traffic in the area. This man is very dangerous.

Who knows what would’ve happened had he succeeded in abducting her.

A woman in her 60s I a quote strange target, I would have thought that the most likely target would’ve been a teenage girl or young woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

The 2020s wrote: »
    This man could strike again and Gardare very keen to find him.

I must say it was a very brazen attack on the woman at that hour of the morning with all the traffic in the area. This man is very dangerous.

Who knows what would’ve happened had he succeeded in abducting her.

A woman in her 60s I a quote strange target, I would have thought that the most likely target would’ve been a teenage girl or young woman.

You would assume and its certainly very unusual for a woman of that age to be abducted but it might not have been sexually motivated.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts looking to trivialise this incident (plus one response) deleted

• Advertisement

There were a few attempts like this in and around Griffith College when I was there some years back, terrifying stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

This sounds like a very very dangerous man. The poor woman must not have seen his face as surely we'd have a decent description of his general age, facial features etc... Hope he's caught asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Travel size hairspray and straight into the eyes. But I suppose that'll only work if you are not traumatised and manage to get the spray out. God love that woman.

I was a witness to a terrifying attack on a woman of a certain age recently, my legs went to jelly but I managed to get a good look at the attacker and saw the make and model of the car he jumped into also, not the reg though to my shame. Woman was OK in the end thankfully, I brought her to the nearby garage/shop and they were fantastic. I was too far away to intervene at the moment of attack. It was a bag snatch.

There is good in the world somehow. Referring to the shop owners not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,356 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This monster needs to be apprehended.

And women, as always, need to be so very careful and responsible when out and about.

7.30 is still pitch dark out, quiet enough as well...

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    You would assume and its certainly very unusual for a woman of that age to be abducted but it might not have been sexually motivated.

The man saw someone. Age didn’t come into it. He was out to get a woman...

I doubt he was too specific as to her age, or even look. And when dark out, sure one could pass for any age..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

walshb wrote: »
    Id have thought that there would be plenty of commuters about at that time.

Id have thought that there would be plenty of commuters about at that time.

Depends on the specific area...

Where she was attacked was not a main road. Quieter road, narrower road..

Was dark, not yet into the busy part of the morning.

It’s exactly why this monster chose that area...

Built up, open, well lit and busier road/area; he doesn’t attempt it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The man saw someone. Age didn’t come into it. He was out to get a woman.

That is pure speculation on your part tbf.

It's a busy enough road at 7.30am , plenty of commuters around.
    It's a very strange one....

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is pure speculation on your part tbf.

Of course. I am not the man.

But I think it’s a fair guess to assume he was out to abduct a woman, or person...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Plenty of cctv in that area ... confident they will nab him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

They say early morning can be prime time for an attack...You're not fully awake, you're focused on getting to work/college/school or whatever so not fully concentrating on your surroundings.

Whereas coming home late at night you're more likely to be on "high alert " looking out to see who is around etc.

Hope the lady is ok both now and longterm.

Soulsun wrote: »
    Plenty of cctv in that area ... confident they will nab him

Hope so. But dark out. Lot of this CCTV is crap. Hope they at least get a registration..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

They say early morning can be prime time for an attack...You're not fully awake, you're focused on getting to work/college/school or whatever so not fully concentrating on your surroundings.

Whereas coming home late at night you're more likely to be on "high alert " looking out to see who is around etc.

Hope the lady is ok both now and longterm.

This was just on the 9 o'clock news. The report said that the lady was out for a walk and normally walks in the Phoenix Park but didn't as it was dark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

But I think it’s a fair guess to assume he was out to abduct a woman, or person...

Of course.
    Hope the poor lady is ok. Hopefully someone knows something. It is incidents like this that make me think about getting a dashcam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It reminded me of the Jastine Valdez abduction and we know how that ended. I hope CCTV in the area is good enough to get an ID, it's scary to think something like this can happen. That area is well populated and you would imagine fairly busy at that time of morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

Needs to be apprehended very quickly or would likely try again, hope the guards throw all their resources behind this, is there any description of him out there yet? Age of victim, location and time make this very unusual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Of course.
    Hope the poor lady is ok. Hopefully someone knows something. It is incidents like this that make me think about getting a dashcam.

There's a great one in the bargain alert thread for under €40, I'm going to get it on my next payday. I live on the road in Cork where the guy was decapitated and dismembered and it looks like dashcam footage has been instrumental in the investigation so far.
    And women, as always, need to be so very careful and responsible when out and about.
    On behalf of all women, thanks for your patronising "concerned" advice. Wait... are you threatening someone??!

Which is why she didn't go to Phoenix Park like she usually would, but instead chose a busier area. She did nothing wrong except to go outside where there are men in 2020. It would be more helpful if you acknowledged that the incident is shocking and wrong instead of trying to lay blame with somebody who was assaulted and nearly abducted.

Get over yourself for chrissake...

Nobody is blaming this woman...

And I’d give the exact same advice to my wife, sisters and daughter...

When out and about always be aware of your surroundings and choices and routes...more so, and less so depending on the situations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

When out and about always be aware of your surroundings and choices and routes...more so, and less so depending on the situations...
    Yeah well maybe you better watch your back as well.

Do you see how that sounds threatening? There's no need for it, you're mansplaining going outside to grown-up people as though their gender means that their intelligence precludes them from making the correct judgement without your intervention.

That makes you part of a group of people who regard women as "less than", and I don't mean in the physical sense, because I know typically an average man is going to overpower and average woman. You're being condescending under the guise of concern because you get a powerful feeling of magnanimity when you give womankind sage advice to remind them of their inherent vulnerability.

We know outside is dangerous, we're the ones who have to go there. Thanks. I'm finished now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

Yeah well maybe you better watch your back as well.

Do you see how that sounds threatening? There's no need for it, you're mansplaining going outside to grown-up people as though their gender means that their intelligence precludes them from making the correct judgement without your intervention.

That makes you part of a group of people who regard women as "less than", and I don't mean in the physical sense, because I know typically an average man is going to overpower and average woman. You're being condescending under the guise of concern because you get a powerful feeling of magnanimity when you give womankind sage advice to remind them of their inherent vulnerability.

We know outside is dangerous, we're the ones who have to go there. Thanks. I'm finished now.

oh fcuk off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

In every other country the police can describe the suspect as Caucasian black Asian etc but we’re sooo up our own arses with PCness that the Gardai are afraid to “go there”. Ridiculous nonsense. Any guy in his 20s in a silver car it is so....
    Horrific ordeal for this poor woman. Reckless and desperate attempt by the assailant considering passerby’s could come to her assistant so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gerard 180

Tinychancer get a grip. Embarrassing

Needs to be apprehended very quickly or would likely try again, hope the guards throw all their resources behind this, is there any description of him out there yet? Age of victim, location and time make this very unusual

I would say it’s almost a given that this animal attempts it again...

And if caught, mother of jaysus, just lock him up for life...

But there’s more chance that Iran nukes the U.S...

Slap on the wrist, and maybe 2-3 years inside!!!

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    In every other country the police can describe the suspect as Caucasian black Asian etc but we’re sooo up our own arses with PCness that the Gardai are afraid to “go there”. Ridiculous nonsense. Any guy in his 20s in a silver car it is so....
    Horrific ordeal for this poor woman. Reckless and desperate attempt by the assailant considering passerby’s could come to her assistant so quickly.

Gardai are not afraid. Don't be ridiculous.
    They release the info they need to, they don't involve themselves in handing out gossip to the general public.
    And, there has been very little info on this incident. I'd say there is more to this......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement