Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting paid salary by cheque

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    My point is that it was ops responsibility to ensure that the terms of his employment were satisfactory before joining the company. OP still has the option to leave the company. OP has the option to lodge his cheque into his credit card account. OP has the option to ring his bank and arrange instant cheque clearance or an overdraft to the amount of his wages.

I don't see any of ops options to be a major hassle. All of the options will be less hassle & less time consuming than trying to cancel a sky package

An overdraft will cost his money. I don't know how instant clearance works exactly but if a cheque can still bounce with it it could leave him overdrawn. Even if it does literally clear instantly and it isn't just showing up in his account before it has fully cleared, the cheque can still bounce. He still needs to lodge the cheque which can be a hassle or cost you depending on the bank.

I've never cancelled Sky but I have cancelled Virgin Media and it wasn't as much hassle as lodging a cheque. You can do it by calling up which I could do outside of work hours which my bank doesn't. It also cost me nothing and my bank charges for cheque lodgements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

The law disagrees with you. Paying by cheque is perfectly legal. The time for OP to object was before he/she started work. It's difficult to alter the work contract after you start work.

What if OP doesn't have a bank account. Employer wont pay in cash. Poor Op has to jump through hoops & open a bank account!!! Oh my gosh!! Shock horror!!!

I don't get the younger generation. Everything has to be handed to them on a plate. Ringing your branch is way, way too much trouble to ask for instant cheque clearance from this one account each week!!! Lodging a cheque in a pass machine into a credit card account is too much trouble too??? Opening an account in your employers branch is too much trouble???

I often wonder what these people say to their employer when their mammy comes in to wipe their bum if they happen to have a bowl movement while in work. If you can't figure out how to process a cheque or if it's too much work for you then I'd hate to see you get a mortgage & buy a house. There are hoops you will have to jump through. You will need utilities turned on contracts signed. Your bank wont go to your home when you apply for a mortgage. Your solicitor wont go to your home. Sometimes in life we have to put a tiny bit of effort in to get a good result.

You think a cheque is difficult? Try cancel your Sky contract. You'll see what difficult really is! :)

Time move on. Please submit your next post by mail to boards head office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Feel like I've wandered back to the 80's or 90's, getting paid weekly by cheque...cashing it in a pub!. Times have moved on, banks don't want people coming into their branches any more. I think I've been in a branch of my bank twice in the last 20 years, once to lodge a cheque refund and once to get cash for a car purchase. The nearest branch of my bank is a 20 minute drive from the office so a 40 minute round trip and whatever queueing time every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

An overdraft will cost his money. I don't know how instant clearance works exactly but if a cheque can still bounce with it it could leave him overdrawn. Even if it does literally clear instantly and it isn't just showing up in his account before it has fully cleared, the cheque can still bounce. He still needs to lodge the cheque which can be a hassle or cost you depending on the bank.

You see you are a glass half full type of person. I'm a half full guy. The overdraft used correctly will improve ops credit rating.

I don't see why you are nit picking at my posts. OP got themselves into this situation. Their employer hasn't all of the changed the payroll system. I'm coming up with genuine ways to help op and you keep trying to poke holes in them without coming up with solutions yourself. Stating how much hassle it is for op isn't helping op in any way.

Do you have any positive suggestions to help op or are you going to be a negative nelly all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My Dad has his own company and he is pretty damn old school when it comes to technology. Even he pays his employees by bank transfer. I've also heard of the hassle he has had with some of his customers who pay with cheque. He never seems to have an issue with the ones that pay by bank transfer but the ones that pay by cheque tend to get lost in the post quite a bit or get delayed or the wrong value gets 'accidentally' put on the cheque.

That's not my experience. Less and less payments are done by chq but with our customers the reliable ones are reliable no matter how they pay and non reliable just don't do transfers or send cheques. Often payments which are for whatever reason not included in payment run are done by chq.

It very much depends what sector you are in and I wouldn't make too many conclusions about the business by how they pay.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

I'd be concerned they aren't going to be providing up to date data to Revenue under the PAYE Modernisation requirements if every other bit of payroll is this antique.

One can pay staff by cheque and be 100% compliant with PAYE modernisation. The data is meant to be provided to revenue on the day of payment or in advance, the method of payment doesn't really have any cause for alarm in that regard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You see you are a glass half full type of person. I'm a half full guy. The overdraft used correctly will improve ops credit rating.

I don't see why you are nit picking at my posts. OP got themselves into this situation. Their employer hasn't all of the changed the payroll system. I'm coming up with genuine ways to help op and you keep trying to poke holes in them without coming up with solutions yourself. Stating how much hassle it is for op isn't helping op in any way.

Do you have any positive suggestions to help op or are you going to be a negative nelly all day?

Well, here is a positive suggestion. Don't use an overdraft to improve your credit rating. That works in the US but not here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

dennyk wrote: »
    Sure, but we're talking employee pay here, not whatever little rebate cheques or whatnot that your company was sending to random people. If employees' paycheques aren't being cashed and you're considering that money in your company's pocket, that's likely to cause some serious issues for you in short order.

Congrats, your company is in violation of SEPA regulations, specifically Article 9.1 of EU Regulation 260/2012:

Revolut account is not reachable using normal emts bulk transfer as per your own quote.

Well, here is a positive suggestion. Don't use an overdraft to improve your credit rating. That works in the US but not here in Ireland.

You see I'm used to giving advice on the plumbing forum. Other plumbers might disagree with your advice but they would always offer counter advice. It's very strange to me to see so many knocking genuine advice without offering counter advice.

Many posters seem to think that cheques went out in the 90s. Dublin City fire fighters were paid by cheque well into the 0s. Revenue commissioner only stopped with cheques in 2014. Less than 6 years ago

You see I'm used to giving advice on the plumbing forum. Other plumbers might disagree with your advice but they would always offer counter advice. It's very strange to me to see so many knocking genuine advice without offering counter advice.

Many posters seem to think that cheques went out in the 90s. Dublin City fire fighters were paid by cheque well into the 0s. Revenue commissioner only stopped with cheques in 2014. Less than 6 years ago

Whilst revenue only stopped issuing cheques 6 years ago, they had the option for bank transfers many, many years before that. So, your opinion that cheques are not an outdated means of payment is based on the fact that Revenue stopped using them 6 years ago and Dublin fire fighters stopped getting paid with them over a decade ago.

• Advertisement

Whilst revenue only stopped issuing cheques 6 years ago, they had the option for bank transfers many, many years before that. So, your opinion that cheques are not an outdated means of payment is based on the fact that Revenue stopped using them 6 years ago and Dublin fire fighters stopped getting paid with them over a decade ago.

I accept all of that and I'm not defending cheques, although I still receive hundreds of cheques every year. My point is why knock a poster coming up with genuine solutions to ops self inflicted problem without putting forward suggestions or solutions yourself.

The younger generation needs to realise that a huge proportion of the population still use cash & cheques. For example in my shower repair & installation business more than 3/4 of our sales are cash & cheques even though the average transaction is over 300 euros. The reason that only 25 percent comes from ET or cards is because very few people under 40 years of age are paying us. My mother is in her middle 80s. We've thought her how to do Internet banking. She was happy to be able to do this for the last few years. The new rules mean that she can no longer do Internet banking as she does not own a mobile phone. She has gone back to using a cheque book.

I accept all of that and I'm not defending cheques, although I still receive hundreds of cheques every year. My point is why knock a poster coming up with genuine solutions to ops self inflicted problem without putting forward suggestions or solutions yourself.

The younger generation needs to realise that a huge proportion of the population still use cash & cheques. For example in my shower repair & installation business more than 3/4 of our sales are cash & cheques even though the average transaction is over 300 euros. The reason that only 25 percent comes from ET or cards is because very few people under 40 years of age are paying us. My mother is in her middle 80s. We've thought her how to do Internet banking. She was happy to be able to do this for the last few years. The new rules mean that she can no longer do Internet banking as she does not own a mobile phone. She has gone back to using a cheque book.

Fairly sure that's not true. I don't know of a bank that aren't offering alternative options as a fall-back, for people exactly like your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I'm not arguing about paying tradesmen by cheque or cash, its what I'd expect to do and always have done.
    Getting paid a salary by cheque is a different matter though and sorry but your solutions aren't great. Not everyone is a pub regular so is unlikely to use that option to get your wages as well as advertising your salary.
    Shopping around for a bank that is best for taking cheque payments just to accomadate an employer when you'll probably incur extra expense and hassle in changing?

I'm not knocking you. You are the one knocking people who think getting paid by cheque is inconvenient and a pain in the ass. I'm merely highlighting why it is inconvenient and stating that I wouldn't work for a company that pays employees using cheque.

Also, while cash and cheque are still popular (cash much more so than cheque) they are not widely used to pay employees. Also, part of the reason you get a lot of cash and cheques is probably because a lot of people probably expect you wouldn't be able to take cards. If I had a someone coming round to repair something, I'd get cash out for them. However, I would usually use my card for everything.

As for your mother. Your comments earlier about young people expecting to have everything handed to them on a plate and their mammies wiping their arses for them because they don't want to use cheques could equally apply to your mother for not using a phone.

hots wrote:
    Fairly sure that's not true. I don't know of a bank that aren't offering alternative options as a fall-back, for people exactly like your mother.

Permanent TSB

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Revolut account is not reachable using normal emts bulk transfer as per your own quote.
    Revolut accounts are available through normal bulk SEPA transfers.

The gist I get from the quoted post is that the company are using the old style Account number & sort code transfers in their payment file, but Revolut is only available through SEPA transfers.

There's not really any excuse blocking this except laziness. SEPA was introduced years ago, and all of the banks provided documentation, information days, open days and assistance to their business customers to move to SEPA payments.

If someone ignored all of that, they can't blame the employee who comes in asking for payments to be made the normal way rather than the old-fashioned way.

seamus wrote: »

The gist I get from the quoted post is that the company are using the old style Account number & sort code transfers in their payment file, but Revolut is only available through SEPA transfers.

There's not really any excuse blocking this except laziness. SEPA was introduced years ago, and all of the banks provided documentation, information days, open days and assistance to their business customers to move to SEPA payments.

If someone ignored all of that, they can't blame the employee who comes in asking for payments to be made the normal way rather than the old-fashioned way.

I would be surprised if anyone doing online transfers is still able to use the pre SEPA system. Is there possibility that Revolout are UK registered bank and there are some extra charges for UK transfers or they need to change the type of credit payments to include other currencies and that could possibly be more expensive than payments to Euro countries. It would be interesting to know if someone with N26 account would have the same issue.

Permanent TSB

Yeah looks like they only have SMS as a fallback, others have further options too for the timebeing. Another sign of keeping with the times really, a 20 euro feature phone would get you there.

As for your mother. Your comments earlier about young people expecting to have everything handed to them on a plate and their mammies wiping their arses for them because they don't want to use cheques could equally apply to your mother for not using a phone.

You miss the point totally. My mother expects nothing. She quietly went back cheques. She pays around a euro per cheque but doesn't complain. She isn't outraged, She just got on with it. I only mention my mother's case to demonstrate how cheques will be with us for quite some time. She had gotten away from cheques altogether but was forced back to older technology so to speak

hots wrote: »
    Yeah looks like they only have SMS as a fallback, others have further options too for the timebeing. Another sign of keeping with the times really, a 20 euro feature phone would get you there.

For a woman in 80ies? Besides not everyone lives in the area with great mobile phone coverage. So no a 20 Euro feature phone wouldn't necessarily get you there.

• Advertisement

We bought her a SOS phone a few years ago. She can't use it. My mam using cheques again isn't a big deal. I only mentioned her to show that cheques will be part of Irish life for awhile to come

OP I just saw youe username. Sorry for calling you he or him. :)

You miss the point totally. My mother expects nothing. She quietly went back cheques. She pays around a euro per cheque but doesn't complain. She isn't outraged, She just got on with it. I only mention my mother's case to demonstrate how cheques will be with us for quite some time. She had gotten away from cheques altogether but was forced back to older technology so to speak

Save her some cash and buy her a feature phone so she can get texts. Or a smartphone to future proof her, it'll pay for itself at a euro a go.

Save her some cash and buy her a feature phone so she can get texts. Or a smartphone to future proof her, it'll pay for itself at a euro a go.

Yes and while he is at it he should also teach her programming.

There are some generational differences that should be taken into account. We have couple of older employees we have to print wage slips for every so often because they don't do emails. At the same time some younger employees or apprentices have to be helped dealing with revenue. It's less hassle than lecturers about future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

fritzelly wrote: »
    I was working for a company not so long ago and they wouldn't accept N26 for transferring my wages into
    There is a thread on boards about all the companies that don't accept non Irish banks for transfers - such antiquated systems they use that they cannot recognise IBAN's without IE in them

Good few years ago used to be paid by cheque but went in to (I think it was UB) and could take the cash out there and then and boss gave us 20 mins or so to go down and cash it

Times are changing and would be thinking weird to be getting paid by cheque these days.

You probably don't understand payments from a business point of view. see below, Kenneth has it. EMT payment files do not use IBANS, they just account numbers and sort codes. There is nothing antiquated or illegal for that matter about sending these types of payment files.
    seamus wrote: »

Processing SEPA payment files is a pain in the arse. DD files are SEPA, it is mandatory, there is no other way of doing it. Payment files on the other hand can be SEPA or EMT. You will find that most likely 100% of companies that are more than 3 or 4 years old pay EMT files for staff wages unless they are multinationals (but even then I'd be surprised). Newer companies may be diverted to paying SEPA files, but I would hazard a well educated guess that if the business owners/managers understand the processing from preevious experience, they will make sure they use EMT files. We did it only in the last month, so you can still set new companies up with EMT payments.

We are not breaking any regulations or laws as has been pointed out. If our staff don't have an Irish account, we are not obliged to fork out €12.50- €17.50 to spend more time and hassle to pay then separately to a UK account. They can have a cheque which is much easier and less time consuming, which in turn actually costs less.

For the record, to send an EMT files takes me about a minute. To pay an individual payee takes longer than that. If I had to pay all staff individually online, I wouldn't bother as writing cheques would be easier.
    To send a SEPA file, I first have to convert it, then I have to load it on one website, then i have to go to another website after it has passed some kind of validation to approve it. Was taking close to 10 minutes with more room for error. All the processes cost extra money, so we don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

alternative options are a poxy little calculator thing. I don't have a smart phone so I have one.... only because I have to. I don't always have it with me unlike the old code card I had with AIB which fit in my wallet, so making transfers is awkward.

She's too old. We got her on the internet banking a few years ago but she's just not able for phones. She's not short of a few bob so she'd rather pay for cheques than the stress of learning a phone. It's not the end of the world but like GDPR the new laws requiring banks to do this is a step backwards in some ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

The time for OP to object was before he/she started work. It's difficult to alter the work contract after you start work.

I don't get the younger generation. Everything has to be handed to them on a plate

They didn't tell me until after I started (no contract given to me yet), I had thought wrongly that it would be EFT like every other job I've had.

I don't expect anything on a plate and I'm far from younger generation.

I have had bank accounts etc going on 30 years, working all my life yet this is the first time I've been paid by cheque.

I don't need to improve my credit rating by using an overdraft, I am fine in that regard and almost finished my mortgage. I'm well versed on finance, so don't need anything that involves improving my credit rating.

I've been told by employer that there is no other option but cheque payment so that will have to do for the moment.

They didn't tell me until after I started (no contract given to me yet), I had thought wrongly that it would be EFT like every other job I've had.

It's up to you to ask questions. How am I to be paid? How often am I to be paid? What day am I to be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It's up to you to ask questions. How am I to be paid? How often am I to be paid? What day am I to be paid?

To be fair to the OP, some questions are almost taken for granted these days..

• Advertisement

Every where I have worked has paid by bank transfer. I've never heard from any one of a company that pays employees by cheque. I just take it as a given that a place will pay by bank transfer. In my eyes, asking if I was to be paid by bank transfer would be the same as asking do I need to bring in my own tea bags as it is so common place. I actually have heard of places that don't provide tea facilities for staff so in my experience being provided tea is less common than being paid by bank transfer.

Advertisement