Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting paid salary by cheque

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's up to you to ask questions. How am I to be paid? How often am I to be paid? What day am I to be paid?

How often and what day aren't really important, not something I'd ask at either interview or job offer stage.

How I'll be paid though, it's honestly not something I would think needed to be asked, as I said never been paid by cheque in my life.

I suppose when some employers are still using a rarely used, almost obselete, written method of payment that's hundreds of years old then maybe I should remember to ask in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

How often and what day aren't really important, not something I'd ask at either interview or job offer stage.

How I'll be paid though, it's honestly not something I would think needed to be asked, as I said never been paid by cheque in my life.

I suppose when some employers are still using a rarely used, almost obselete, written method of payment that's hundreds of years old then maybe I should remember to ask in future.

I've had a guy ask me what bank I am with at an interview. He was figuring out how quickly he'd get his wages by ET if he got the job.

As for cheques I see them almost daily. Some sizable letting agents & maintenance companies pay me by cheque rather than ET. I have been accepting cards but think I'll get rid of card machine due to the cost. My daughter is a childminder. One of the creches she worked for paid by cheque & another by cash. Quite a lot of Creches pay in cash with old style brown envelope pay packet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It's up to you to ask questions. How am I to be paid? How often am I to be paid? What day am I to be paid?

I've been working for nearly 40 years and would have assumed payment by cheque disappeared years ago. Would never even occur to me to ask a prospective employer how they pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I certainly wouldn't ask how they pay and I think most people wouldn't. To be honest I would find it strange if a candidate asked me how we paid and nobody ever did. An odd time I would have to pay with chq because new employees wouldn't supply their account details in time.

That being said I avoid going to the bank on Friday to lodge customer cheques, there will be always someone whit six different debit cards and employee cheques that need to be lodged.

I've had a guy ask me what bank I am with at an interview. He was figuring out how quickly he'd get his wages by ET if he got the job.

I'm guessing he didn't get the job and that you remember it because its an unusual thing to come up at interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm guessing he didn't get the job and that you remember it because its an unusual thing to come up at interview?

He became head of a security in the security company I had. He eventually bought the company from me. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He became head of a security in the security company I had. He eventually bought the company from me. :D

Did you ask him what bank his was going to use to pay you through? Or maybe he paid by cheque. :pac:

Did you ask him what bank his was going to use to pay you through? Or maybe he paid by cheque. :pac:

Suitcases of cash :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You want efficient employees ? Then you treat them with respect and pay them on time. If payday is the 12th of every month, that morning before they get out of bed that money is available and in their account... get known for treating your staff well, payment on time is the the first thing. You expect them to work hard, be flexible and put the company first, that works the other way too, although the... ‘tough, you should feel lucky to have a job’ merchants I’m sure see a cheque on payday is reasonable behavior, it isn’t.

Just a quick update, getting paid by cheque is actually proving to be a right pain in the h*le.

I can't make it to the bank during opening hours (because I'm in work and my bank doesn't have a branch near the workplace) so I am relying on the outside lodgement machines.

Went to two separate machines this weekend and both are out of action! This is the second time it's happened in as many weeks.

So I will have to try again tomorrow, that will be a third trip this week just to get my cheque lodged.

If I have to do this every month I think I'll be changing jobs or banks or both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d certainly consider giving them the elbow, shower of knuckle draggers... least they could do is give a 90 minute lunch on payday to enable you to go about accessing the pay that you’ve worked hard for.

Advertisement