Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garringreen - area check

• 06-01-2020 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

Moving to Kilkenny with my young family. What is the Garringreen area like? Good place to raise a family? Any antisocial behaviour etc?

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Tbops wrote: »
    Hi

Moving to Kilkenny with my young family. What is the Garringreen area like? Good place to raise a family? Any antisocial behaviour etc?

Thx

lovely spot,mature estate and quite

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tbops

Thanks a million
    jambofc wrote: »
    lovely spot,mature estate and quite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

Depends on what you want and can afford.
    It’s all relative.
    Ages of kids, what school do you want them to go to?
    There are estates that consist of mainly higher socio economic groups e.g. doctors. There are others that are middle class.
    Others that are in great location for your needs......do you want to be near schools, shopping centres, Creche’s, work, etc
    If your partner is stay-at-home, she may want to be around other mothers?
    Kids might want to live near other kids so they can play outside etc etc
    If you give more info, we can advise better

Thanks.

We are pretty flexible. We have a healthy budget but we are not millionaires.

Our child is 3, I am not tied to a particular school (decent quality teachers is the main thing). I would want to be near school/creches and train station ideally. We will have to be in dublin with work sometimes. Big part of our move is to reduce our daily commute. It's an hour or more each way at mo.

It would be nice to have an area where there is space and it's safe for child to play outside with other children. Main thing is that he is not exposed to anti social behaviour and overt drug use. Dublin city is pretty bad at the moment and I want to protect him from that from as long as possible. Decent community also.

Thanks

JDMC2 wrote: »
    Depends on what you want and can afford.
    It’s all relative.
    Ages of kids, what school do you want them to go to?
    There are estates that consist of mainly higher socio economic groups e.g. doctors. There are others that are middle class.
    Others that are in great location for your needs......do you want to be near schools, shopping centres, Creche’s, work, etc
    If your partner is stay-at-home, she may want to be around other mothers?
    Kids might want to live near other kids so they can play outside etc etc
    If you give more info, we can advise better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Ashfield and Ashfield East are nice places to live. Rath Ullord across the road have a new phase for sale at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

I suppose it comes down to what you can afford.....we all want safe place for kids, no drugs/anti-social behaviour etc
    The most expensive estates (assuming that’s what you’re looking for) are €400-€500 e.g. Richview, Weir, Rath Ullord
    There are some lovely estates around €300k.....Clongowen, Patrick’s Gate, Talbots on Freshford Road, Ardilea on Comer Road,
    Likewise, you can get great houses for under €300 as well. Lots of lovely houses in Loughboy, Comer Road, etc etc
    Also, need to decide on schools.....non-denominational, gaelscoil, state run primary, school project etc etc
    Give us an indication of your budget and I’ll do my best to help....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

JDMC2 wrote: »
    The most expensive estates (assuming that’s what you’re looking for) are €400-€500 e.g. Richview, Weir, Rath Ullord
    There are some lovely estates around €300k.....Clongowen, Patrick’s Gate, Talbots on Freshford Road, Ardilea on Comer Road,

Good luck getting a house in Ardilea for 300k..

Near the train station you are really looking at the castlecomer road, johnswell road etc for newer estates.

Most new builds are over 400k for a detached house.

Thanks. Yea there is a real property bubble in KK at mo. It's quite expensive near town for what you get along with tight creche spaces we are not moving down at the best time!!!

Are there any areas to avoid near town?
    lausp wrote: »
    Good luck getting a house in Ardilea for 300k..

Near the train station you are really looking at the castlecomer road, johnswell road etc for newer estates.

Most new builds are over 400k for a detached house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Prices mental in Kilkenny alright. See there are a few new build estates planned. Badly needed mid range family type homes. Some of the recent new build ones are very expensive like Rath Ullard.

Advertisement