Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardinal Sin Committed - No Oil!!

Options
  • 06-01-2020 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

so bike is a Yamaha Virago 250, I let it run too low on oil somehow.

anyone any suggestions on either fixing the engine I've got, or else any ideas for where to source a spare engine?

also the exhaust is needing some serious repair or else replacement (photos below!)

-Cityspares haven't got anything

-Best offer I've has so far is for a shop to fit a Lifan 250 engine, plus welding on the exhaust for around the 800 mark

plan tomorrow is to put oil in, and use a compression tester on it to hopefully give me a better idea of how banjaxed it currently is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Is that a pic of the exhaust or the titanic?

Use harpic power plus on the pipes to get rid of that crap and see what you're dealing with.

The bottom end has probably gone on your bike. Call a few shops to see what can be done. I had an engine swap done for €600 years ago when a motor blew on an old bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Remove the rust and I dont think there'd be anything left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Fabio

iqmdublin wrote: »
    so bike is a Yamaha Virago 250, I let it run too low on oil somehow.

anyone any suggestions on either fixing the engine I've got, or else any ideas for where to source a spare engine?

also the exhaust is needing some serious repair or else replacement (photos below!)

-Cityspares haven't got anything

-Best offer I've has so far is for a shop to fit a Lifan 250 engine, plus welding on the exhaust for around the 800 mark

plan tomorrow is to put oil in, and use a compression tester on it to hopefully give me a better idea of how banjaxed it currently is

That looks absolutely in bits. The poor bike.

I doubt the exhaust can be welded, there's nothing to weld on to apart from rust so you'll need a new system there I reckon.

Is the frame in a similar state? If it is then it might not be safe to ride and could snap. You'd be in serious crap then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

zubair wrote: »
    Is that a pic of the exhaust or the titanic?

Use harpic power plus on the pipes to get rid of that crap and see what you're dealing with.

The bottom end has probably gone on your bike. Call a few shops to see what can be done. I had an engine swap done for €600 years ago when a motor blew on an old bike.

If the pipes are that bad with corrosion there's no cleaning it off as the metal is already gone they need a new exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

You let the oil run low ..and what..??...did it seize or did you just notice the oil light/level was low...more info...exhausts rust...just look for a replacement

• Advertisement

Actually, a quick google and a full system is cheap as chips, replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

New Engine and Exhaust needed on a bike that looks that bad is IMHO throwing away good money.
    You would be better off looking for a good secondhand machine and putting the €800 against a bike that is in better condition.

Break that bike for parts and sell off any bits that are in serviceable condition and that may help offset the cost of another machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CJhaughey wrote: »
    New Engine and Exhaust needed on a bike that looks that bad is IMHO throwing away good money.
    You would be better off looking for a good secondhand machine and putting the €800 against a bike that is in better condition.

Break that bike for parts and sell off any bits that are in serviceable condition and that may help offset the cost of another machine.

This!, go get another bike

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭iqmdublin

D3V!L wrote: »
    Remove the rust and I dont think there'd be anything left.

my thoughts! its why im reluctant to drop it in to get it done because i know it'll inevitably end up going over budget and a new exhaust being brought in

You let the oil run low ..and what..??...did it seize or did you just notice the oil light/level was low...more info...exhausts rust...just look for a replacement

no oil light came on, just ran out of oil, over a relatively short space of time which is why i wasn't expecting it.

it cut out when i was driving, and now wont turn over, its sort of wants to still, if you give it throttle it'll go for a second or two then cut out.

old school mechanic in the area said to put some oil in, and gave me a compression tester to see what happens

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »

Break that bike for parts and sell off any bits that are in serviceable condition and that may help offset the cost of another machine.[/QUOTE

this is the option always looming yep, just trying to salvage this first (quite liked the bike), but going to look at another one this evening to have options!

i understand the whole 'dont throw money into a black hole' thing, It'll either be a decent repair involving swapped parts on this bike or else another one

any thoughts on a replacement engine and exhaust from a Lifan 250?? (the Chinese imitation of yamaha)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

any thoughts on a replacement engine and exhaust from a Lifan 250?? (the Chinese imitation of yamaha)

It would get you back on the road - make sure the replacement engine comes with some sort of warranty in case it isn't what its supposed to be...

I'd like to see the rest of the bike and try to figure what its value will be once its got a Lifan engine fitted. If the exhaust pics are anything to go by I'd be worried you are wasting money fixing it. Trade your scrap bike in somewhere and let the shop worry about getting it back to standard - take the hit but use it as leverage to get good value on a replacement bike.

It would get you back on the road - make sure the replacement engine comes with some sort of warranty in case it isn't what its supposed to be...

I'd like to see the rest of the bike and try to figure what its value will be once its got a Lifan engine fitted. If the exhaust pics are anything to go by I'd be worried you are wasting money fixing it. Trade your scrap bike in somewhere and let the shop worry about getting it back to standard - take the hit but use it as leverage to get good value on a replacement bike.

photos added below for the rest of it!

and the after pics...

You don't need a warranty when dealing with a business as you have much better protection under the sale of goods and supply of services act.

and the after pics...

not following : /

those are from today, its only the underneath of the exhaust thats in bad shape.

Aftermarket exhausts are under €200 so that's an option

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How low was the oil level? The engine is not fully seized up anyway, as you say it turns over when trying to start.

Have you found any evidence of an oil leak? Was the engine burning oil (blue smoke from exhaust)?

Presuming you now have the correct quantity of oil installed, disconnect the spark plug leads and remove the spark plugs. Put a bit of oil into the cylinders and replace the plugs. Leave the leads off. Then turn the engine over for a while without the plug leads connected to lubricate the pistons, rings and bores. You don't want to try to start it without doing this first. A squirt of oil on the rockers would be a good idea too.

Get it running (if you can) and go from there. Replacement engine should be the last resort, and may not be required.

Not your ornery onager

I jest but it seems you were good at cleaning part of the bike, just not all of the bike. Unlike me, who never cleans all of the bike.

Get some oil into the damn thing and see what happens. I'd also try and scrub that crud off the exhaust, you might be ok, or it might all fall apart.

Esel wrote: »
    How low was the oil level? The engine is not fully seized up anyway, as you say it turns over when trying to start.

Have you found any evidence of an oil leak? Was the engine burning oil (blue smoke from exhaust)?

Presuming you now have the correct quantity of oil installed, disconnect the spark plug leads and remove the spark plugs. Put a bit of oil into the cylinders and replace the plugs. Leave the leads off. Then turn the engine over for a while without the plug leads connected to lubricate the pistons, rings and bores. You don't want to try to start it without doing this first. A squirt of oil on the rockers would be a good idea too.

Get it running (if you can) and go from there. Replacement engine should be the last resort, and may not be required.

thanks for the old school positivity and fix it attitude!

i couldn't get the sparks off today, i have to buy the right socket for it (had the right size just couldnt get it over the top of the spark).

oil - it was low low low, I filled it today to the upper limit with almost a litre and a half.

I can't see evidence of a leak, but I wouldn't have a good eye for that. I wasn't sure if it was splashback from the chain but there is old oil definitely hanging around the engine, so possibly.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to walk the thing home (3 miles), and try what you suggested.

Thinking new sparks, and do all of this then.

Couldn't test the compression today cause of not getting the sparks off.

Whats the rockers?

• Advertisement

I jest but it seems you were good at cleaning part of the bike, just not all of the bike. Unlike me, who never cleans all of the bike.

Get some oil into the damn thing and see what happens. I'd also try and scrub that crud off the exhaust, you might be ok, or it might all fall apart.

thats the stupid part of it all! I'm normally well on the ball with this stuff, I've just been using it so little, (10,000km in 5 years) for some reason it wasn't on my radar. The rest of the bike is relatively rust free and clean, couldn't do anything about that exhaust rotting to pieces though : /

I had a good look at it today, for me theres zero chance of salvaging the exhaust

In that case get some oil in and see if it will start, if you blew the engine it would be obvious, you would have heard a horrible racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The bike actually looks good from what is visible.
    You may have had a hot seizure and now the bike is cooled down it might be able to restart with limited damage, that is a best case scenario.
    If the Lifan is a drop in then it might be worth doing but the value of the bike will be reduced considerably due to the replacement engine not being original.
    You will know more once you get a compression test done and see if it runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

photos added below for the rest of it!

ah, that puts a different complection on it: I was expecting the rest 'to match' the exhausts !

Too good to scrap imho, and worth either fixing or replacing the engine if worst comes to worst.

Of all the things that are fixable, engine & exhaust are: the rest of the bike if it was as bad, would make it unsaveable. Yours is better than that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

galwaytt wrote: »
    ah, that puts a different complection on it: I was expecting the rest 'to match' the exhausts !

Too good to scrap imho, and worth either fixing or replacing the engine if worst comes to worst.

Of all the things that are fixable, engine & exhaust are: the rest of the bike if it was as bad, would make it unsaveable. Yours is better than that.

Go on lads , I know you're all disappointed by the pic !! ;)

I know I am.

Too nice of a bike to scrap. OP, get your front brakes sorted as well, I can see a serious lip on that disk.

thanks for the old school positivity and fix it attitude!

i couldn't get the sparks off today, i have to buy the right socket for it (had the right size just couldnt get it over the top of the spark).

oil - it was low low low, I filled it today to the upper limit with almost a litre and a half.

I can't see evidence of a leak, but I wouldn't have a good eye for that. I wasn't sure if it was splashback from the chain but there is old oil definitely hanging around the engine, so possibly.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to walk the thing home (3 miles), and try what you suggested.

Thinking new sparks, and do all of this then.

Couldn't test the compression today cause of not getting the sparks off.

Whats the rockers?

Check with your insurance if you have recovery. Pushing a bike is no fun, pushing one for 3 miles will be a nightmare.

Are you checking the other conunables on the bike regularly?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Check with your insurance if you have recovery. Pushing a bike is no fun, pushing one for 3 miles will be a nightmare.

i got it brought from where it broke down to harolds cross to try with 2 bike shops! so insurance will only move it once! : /
    actually been too tired after work the last 2 days to walk it home, will try for it tomorrow or saturday!

Are you checking the other conunables on the bike regularly?

surprisingly yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Anyone you know have aa membership?
    They'll move the bike to where you want to.

Advertisement