Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an electrician please

• 06-01-2020 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good electrician please? The trip switch keeps, well, tripping, but it's only knocking off certain things in the house.
    However one of those is the fridge/freezer so I need to get it sorted.

I know a good plumber and a good guy to look after the boiler, but don't know any electricians, so if anyone could suggest someone please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I've used Ray Conroy (Caherdavin) a few times and found him very good and reasonably priced.

http://ie.ypgo.net/RC+Electrical-6797805399

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Can anyone recommend a good electrician please? The trip switch keeps, well, tripping, but it's only knocking off certain things in the house.
    However one of those is the fridge/freezer so I need to get it sorted.

I know a good plumber and a good guy to look after the boiler, but don't know any electricians, so if anyone could suggest someone please.

Does it trip the rcd or the mcb? If it's the rcd(the one with the test button on it) it's more than likely a problem with one of your appliances and can be narrowed down by process of elimination so there's no real need for an electrician as he may not be able to fix the appliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

aido79 wrote: »
    Does it trip the rcd or the mcb? If it's the rcd(the one with the test button on it) it's more than likely a problem with one of your appliances and can be narrowed down by process of elimination so there's no real need for an electrician as he may not be able to fix the appliance.

Unplug everything, make sure all the rcd/mcb's etc are on and plug things back in one by one. It's most likely to be kettle/hairdryer/toaster that's causing the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It's actually tripped both, but not at the same time. We've gone around the house plugging out absolutely everything (not fun trying to wrestle the washing machine and fridge out and in again!) and nothing happened.

It happened three times over Xmas and I was blaming the lights on the tree, but we took all the Xmas stuff down on Friday so the lights etc are gone and last night as we were watching TV, it went again, so at this stage I just have no idea.
    My other half would be pretty handy around the house, but this has him stumped so at this stage he's admitted defeat.

It's actually tripped both, but not at the same time. We've gone around the house plugging out absolutely everything (not fun trying to wrestle the washing machine and fridge out and in again!) and nothing happened.

It happened three times over Xmas and I was blaming the lights on the tree, but we took all the Xmas stuff down on Friday so the lights etc are gone and last night as we were watching TV, it went again, so at this stage I just have no idea.
    My other half would be pretty handy around the house, but this has him stumped so at this stage he's admitted defeat.

Do you know which mcb tripped? It will most likely be an appliance on that circuit.
    Did you have anything else working apart from the tv when it tripped?

• Advertisement

Do you know which mcb tripped? It will most likely be an appliance on that circuit.
    Did you have anything else working apart from the tv when it tripped?

The only other things that would have been switched on at the time were the lights in the sitting room and the hall, so we've really drawn a blank.

The only other things that would have been switched on at the time were the lights in the sitting room and the hall, so we've really drawn a blank.

Lamps or ceiling lights?

Lamps or ceiling lights?

Just the lamps in the sitting room and one in the hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Fridges rarely trip intermittently but you can check the tray that collects the water after defrosting which sits on top of the compressor for leaks, also if it has a Danfoss compressor the starting relay were known for intermittent/to sudden blow out. If you have a dishwasher or w/m on the same circuit these have in line filters/suppressors fitted where the mains cable terminates inside the cabinet. You could do a diy check by unplugging the machines and physically check the units for stickiness around the cables. if they feel sticky they will short between live and neutral or L and earth. As you have mentioned the fridge as a suspect have you pulled out the plugtop to check it and the socket for burn marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭meercat

Make sure the immersion is turned off.

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    Make sure the immersion is turned off.

I will to be sure :pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xajVIBU4d8o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

are we aloud give warnings of who to avoid ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    are we aloud give warnings of who to avoid ?

I'm not sure if we can say on here, but feel free to PM me. It would be good to know who NOT to get.

Advertisement