Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power line wifi extenders.

Options
  • 06-01-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice on power line extenders from those who have used them in a similar fashion to this.
    A neighbour of mine is looking to put up 2 pan and tilt cameras in some sheds to check on cows during the upcoming calving season and asked me at the weekend about getting wifi into his shed for them.
    It's approx 50m from the house to the shed and you cannot pick up the house network that far away. Relocating his router in the house isn't an option either.
    No way to run an Ethernet cable between them so the power line option seems to be the obvious solution.
    There are two potential issues I could see with them, and having never used such extenders need advice.
    1. The power in the shed runs from the main house fuse board to a sub-board in the shed and lights and dockets are taken from that. Would a sub-board block the days signal in any way? It is possible to tap into the supply before the sub-board if necessary.

2. The two sheds are a typical steel frame with galvanised sheeting on walls and roof so I'd be worried that the signal from the extender located in one shed won't reach the second shed approx 10m away. Has anyone set up extenders in such a setup that can shed some light on it (pun intended)?
    May need a second extender in the second shed.

If that all works, he wants to be able to view the cameras on his tv. It's a LG smart TV with Webostv but as yet I haven't seen an app on it to view cameras. All I can think of for that is to set each camera up as a site on the tv browser. Down side is no control of the pan and tilt functions that way.
    Have talked him into putting them on an app on his phone as well do he could cast thatv to the tv, but would just be handier to view them directly.

All comments/ advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

paulbok wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice on power line extenders from those who have used them in a similar fashion to this.
    A neighbour of mine is looking to put up 2 pan and tilt cameras in some sheds to check on cows during the upcoming calving season and asked me at the weekend about getting wifi into his shed for them.
    It's approx 50m from the house to the shed and you cannot pick up the house network that far away. Relocating his router in the house isn't an option either.
    No way to run an Ethernet cable between them so the power line option seems to be the obvious solution.
    There are two potential issues I could see with them, and having never used such extenders need advice.
    1. The power in the shed runs from the main house fuse board to a sub-board in the shed and lights and dockets are taken from that. Would a sub-board block the days signal in any way? It is possible to tap into the supply before the sub-board if necessary.

2. The two sheds are a typical steel frame with galvanised sheeting on walls and roof so I'd be worried that the signal from the extender located in one shed won't reach the second shed approx 10m away. Has anyone set up extenders in such a setup that can shed some light on it (pun intended)?
    May need a second extender in the second shed.

If that all works, he wants to be able to view the cameras on his tv. It's a LG smart TV with Webostv but as yet I haven't seen an app on it to view cameras. All I can think of for that is to set each camera up as a site on the tv browser. Down side is no control of the pan and tilt functions that way.
    Have talked him into putting them on an app on his phone as well do he could cast thatv to the tv, but would just be handier to view them directly.

All comments/ advice welcome.

You would be better off doing this wirelessly with Ubiquiti nanostations

Ubiquiti NSM5 Networks Nano Station M5 WLAN Access Point - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HXT8KJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_szefEbFAQA7ND

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

You would be better off doing this wirelessly with Ubiquiti nanostations

Ubiquiti NSM5 Networks Nano Station M5 WLAN Access Point - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HXT8KJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_szefEbFAQA7ND

So this set up would be set up on the exterior of both house and 1 shed facing each other.
    Wire one back to the main router and wire a new router in the shed off the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

paulbok wrote: »
    So this set up would be set up on the exterior of both house and 1 shed facing each other.
    Wire one back to the main router and wire a new router in the shed off the other?

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Hi,

I did pretty much the same thing you where saying to my garage which is about 20 metres away from my house. I use it for two 5MP cameras, oilpal, and smart garage opener.
    My garage like yourself has a separate consuming panel, and i was humming and arrrhing wonder if the power lines would work.
    I have looking at extending my netgear orbi to an external box, but the cost on this put me off.
    In the end i ordered some TP-link extenders https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NWDLC4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 @ £35 i glad i did, i was amazed that i got a steady link light. i connected the one end to the upstairs where my router is and the other to a spur in the garage. Maybe i was lucky, but not had any problems with them.
    For the camera what type will you be using most brands give you an app that you can check on your phone, mine work even when i`m away from the house. But you should be able to load that onto a smart TV also.
    What about power to the cameras are you using POE as you will need a good POE hub for that. In the end i just ran power cables to mine.
    Hope that helps. But i guess it depends on your power connection from your house to the shed, how good that is. But at £35 this was the cheapest route for me.
    Also i guess if you buy from Amazon, and it doesn`t work you can always try and send it back.

Thanks lardarse. I think I'll chance the power extenders to start with, as you say, they can be returned easily enough to Amazon if not suitable and I'll then go for High Horses solution.
    Going for some directly powered cams, as these are agricultural sheds they'll be going into, I want to keep the amount of kit used to a minimum.

• Advertisement

Power extenders didn't work so sent them back and have ordered the tp-link repeaters that lardarse suggested (got them cheaper from Amazon.de )
    Next I need to get a wifi outdoor rated pan and tilt camera for him for the calving shed.
    Between putting up the wifi repeater, camera and configuring it, it's turned from "ya would call over to me some evening and let me know if I can stick a camera up in here for the calving" to a more time consuming task :rolleyes:
    What's more is he now wants to add a few more cameras around the farm sheds in time.

Advertisement