Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

peddlelies wrote: »
    Politically Trump was doing alright the last few days besides some blunders here and there. .

While I essentially agree with your post, what a standard to be applying to the President of the United States!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

There's a spanner in the works now for all countries - the returnees & ex-pats. China has had 41 new cases [referred to as imports] all people returning from abroad [students etc - due to colleges & businesses closing down due to the outbreak in those countries] said China's National Health Commission today. Para's 15 to 24 in the linked article covering the world. I can see Don saying "I told you so" as he had opposed the landing from World cruise ships of US citizens into the US.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-70m-in-lockdown-in-us-as-china-s-imported-cases-rise-1.4209000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Very rare for a wartime president to get voted out

But things aren't looking good for the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

aloyisious wrote: »
    There's a spanner in the works now for all countries - the returnees & ex-pats. China has had 41 new cases [referred to as imports] all people returning from abroad [students etc - due to colleges & businesses closing down due to the outbreak in those countries] said China's National Health Commission today. Para's 15 to 24 in the linked article covering the world. I can see Don saying "I told you so" as he had opposed the landing from World cruise ships of US citizens into the US.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-70m-in-lockdown-in-us-as-china-s-imported-cases-rise-1.4209000

Not to dismiss your overall point, I find it hard to believe a thing they say when Italian deaths have surpassed China's official numbers.

From what I see China are in spin/deflect/propaganda mode now foreshadowing the political fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Agreed. Since about 2106 things have been going downhill *fast*

• Advertisement

IMO, on the former, the slow response from the Govt to the individual states requests for assistance will rebound on Don as he's the man with his finger on the "flow" button. Governors have been lambasting it for its slow provision of ventilators, suits & masks to their state Govts and health bodies. X amount of the governors are republicans and they won't blame their own party as their Senators & C/persons have been busy ensuring bill-funding to fight the outbreak is passed, they'll point to the President as head of the Admin.

Related to the former and pertinent to the latter, link time-dated today at 8.04 AM re situation in LA county:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/21/coronavirus-latest-news/#link-AO2BRQXGBBCSTPGEMP6G6F7ASM

Don is seeing the virus figures from his own political perspective, the Governors from theirs and the medics from the patients care perspective.

Not to dismiss your overall point, I find it hard to believe a thing they say when Italian deaths have surpassed China's official numbers.

From what I see China are in spin/deflect/propaganda mode now foreshadowing the political fallout.

Probably the Chinese are being economic with the community figures. Its important that they did admit to the fact that there is another virus outbreak source which did cause our initial outbreak itself. We've, at Irish national & local level, been pointing the finger at people who went to Cheltenham before the flight bans took effect. I'm thinking that the Chinese Govt has most likely quarantined the returnees into one location and will be doing stringent tests on ALL new arrivals in the same facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

https://twitter.com/GHS/status/1241154807391342594

A good illustration here of how bad leadership is impacting things. Focus on the weekly % increase in cases.

The top 2 countries:
    US +726%
    UK +452%

And that's with the US bad roll out of testing, so likely considerably more cases unaccounted for.

That's the problem with poor leadership and messaging at the moment

We cant tell how this plays out yet. I think we're still in the early stages. One thing's for sure containment has failed, it is globally dispersed. There is no stopping it now - it may ease in the summer but will come back in the autumn. All the talk about testing... If we don't find a vaccine are we going to spend years testing...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We cant tell how this plays out yet. I think we're still in the early stages. One thing's for sure containment has failed, it is globally dispersed. There is no stopping it now - it may ease in the summer but will come back in the autumn. All the talk about testing... If we don't find a vaccine are we going to spend years testing...

We can tell how this plays out. Italy is in the midst of it.

The US and the UK are going to be thumped. Anyone pretending otherwise is screaming in the face of all known facts . Theres no rhyme or reason other than to be contrary for the sake of internet lols.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Especially since this is effectively a war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Politically Trump was doing alright the last few days besides some blunders here and there. He let the experts speak at will and played the hard man calling it the Chinese virus after China continue to spread propaganda about its origins.

The latest axios/harris poll had him over 50% with a 4% increase. He ruined that today with his outburst, it was totally out of context and out of proportion with the question. Clearly the impact of the situation and seemingly uncontrollable increase in infections over there is eating away at him.

He's selfishly gonna be mostly thinking about his re-election hopes, Biden getting the nod and now this situation is a double whammy. The only thing he can do is try to be as Presidential as possible in the midst of a disaster then hope the virus dies off somewhat in time for the economy to have a bit of bounce back before November, I'd wager that's the strategy for 2020. Outbursts like today don't help him one iota.

Politically clearly someone had a word to Trump to change tack for his own sake and he, briefly, appeared to have a different tone. That was until people started asking questions. And don't be fooled to thinking it was just yesterday. In the Rose Garden he lambasted another journalist for a nasty question.

Yesterday wasn't a blunder, yesterday was a return to the norm. He only cares about how he is perceived, it is all about him. Who cares who wins the next election if people are dying all over the place. Who cares if the economy is in free fall, if millions are unemployed?

The very fact that you can acknowledge he is being selfish should be enough to tell you he is not fit to lead. He is clearly buckling under the pressure, again not what you need or want from a leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Leroy42 wrote: »

The very fact that you can acknowledge he is being selfish should be enough to tell you he is not fit to lead. He is clearly buckling under the pressure, again not what you need or want from a leader.

As I said before imagine he was president during the Cuban Missile Crisis or the Siege of Berlin. We would not be here now, guaranteed. Imagine the Iran Embassy Siege or literally anything that involves intelligence or responsible thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

The virus was always going to be bad.

But handling it well, both in terms of effective leadership and optics, required listening to the intelligence services, listening to scientists, and then telling the nation that this is going to be a **** show and things will get bad but everyone's got to stick together.Then you prepare.

Trump ignored intelligence briefings, ignored scientists, listened to Conservative conspiracy-type bloggers, said it would be OK and blamed the Democrats. Then didn't really prepare.

It may be only 2 weeks in the difference but 2 weeks is a long time when you're talking about exponential growth in a population of 300 million.

His science denial combined with general ignorance and the constant need to stand up and say 'everything's great - we've done the best job ever' will cost somewhere in the thousands of lives.

What a clown. A crisis you can't put a spin on or bully your way out of and he's laid bare for the world to see. Incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'm waiting for him to get a load of evangelical preachers in a room to pray for the virus to disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

listermint wrote: »
    We can tell how this plays out. Italy is in the midst of it.

The US and the UK are going to be thumped. Anyone pretending otherwise is screaming in the face of all known facts . Theres no rhyme or reason other than to be contrary for the sake of internet lols.

I’m in broad agreement with you but Italy is a special case. In previous flu seasons, Italy had a higher mortality rate than other European countries:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285

Different possible explanations but likely in part due to fact that Italy has a ru elderly population.
    The reason I think the US won’t do very well over the next few weeks is because of lots of co-morbidity there (average life expectancy is lower in US in any case). Let’s hope these significant social distancing measures will slow this down and reduce number of deaths in every country!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm waiting for him to get a load of evangelical preachers in a room to pray for the virus to disappear

I think they have already done that, or the next best thing - wasn't one day last week declared a day of prayer? that was either totally ignored or not reported on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I listened back to Nicole wallaces msnbc show from last night which was hosted by someone else and I heard the full exchange between peter Alexander and Donald trump and the full thing is worse than the one line. It was an easy ready made uniting question and trump Steve bartmans it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I listened back to Nicole wallaces msnbc show from last night which was hosted by someone else and I heard the full exchange between peter Alexander and Donald trump and the full think is worse than the one line. It was an easy ready made uniting question and trump stev bartmans it.

It was an amazing set up for Trump. It is like someone threading a ball to you in front of an open goal and in response you smash the ball into their face.

Honestly at the is point Trump can't stand any reporter that doesn't just compliment him. Even being friendly and giving him an easy set up isn't enough. He can't be a uniter. He can only hate.

Meanwhile the US has had to give up on seriously testing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-20/coronavirus-county-doctors-containment-testing%3f_amp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you want to see the leadership look at Andrew Cuomo Gov NY press conference each day. You weep at knowing how the leadership deficit in the WH.

On price gouging, Rising Pharma doubled the price of Chloroquine when the Chinese started trying it Covid 19 patients.
    Cuomo said N 95 masks used to cost 80 cent. They are now $4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At today's WH briefing, Pence has announced both he and his wife will be tested for the Coronavirus after a member of his staff tested positive.

He announced this while standing about 2ft away from Trump.

Such absolute morons...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

@Manic Moran: Its not directly relevant to the US home situation per se, but with S/K & European countries being hit badly by virus outbreak, what is the situation with US land & Air Force units based abroad in those locations, plus US Navy in harbours - are they on curfew by order of their C.O's? They have to get provisions from somewhere.

I have not actually heard anything particularly relating to the foreign bases, almost all the traffic on my .mil email has been domestic. However, all movement has been stopped, so folks who are ending their tours abroad are having them extended, and nobody from CONUS is heading overseas. The current 'front line' deployments in Korea, Poland and Baltics are much closer to the Cold-War Germany style: Unaccompanied (i.e. no families), with a lot of time spent in the field, so much less opportunity to mingle with locals and catch anything. If nobody infected transferred in before the halt order, which seems a reasonable assumption (DoD halted international movement quite some time before anyone was really talking about civilian travel bans or self-quarantining, the domestic travel ban came about a little over a week ago), then it seems unlikely that a unit will be hit hard. Anything they need to survive (food, uniforms) are provided by the government anyway, trips to the local economy are normally for recreation. Units are taking advantage of the excuse to self-isolate in training exercises.
    https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/03/17/troops-are-safer-in-the-field-during-outbreak-101st-leaders-say/
    “The soldiers out in the field conducting collective training is, one, critically important for readiness," said Maj. Gen. Brian Winski, 101st commander, during a town hall event at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. “And, two, the way they’re arrayed and dispersed, they’re fundamentally at less risk than soldiers in garrison or who are traveling and in contact with a lot more people.”
    [...]
    “Really, our soldiers have less risk of exposure if they’re out in the field with their platoon, company, battery or troop," Barker said. "That measure itself is reducing their exposure to the greater community. ... They’re actually more secure and isolated in that field environment.”

Accompanied tours, such as Italy, Japan, etc, where the families are present, they don't need to go off-base to get provisions either. They will have access to the base PX (think department store) for household things/clothing/etc, and the base commissary (supermarket) for food.

Overall, right now, military effectiveness is not particularly hit.

The journalists are ignoring Trump and questioning the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Water John wrote: »

If pence is getting tested how have no reporters asked why hes standing so close to everyone else?

Twat, gone off on the media again.
    A whole press conference on masks and gowns, arising because the national stockpile had been depleted and not replenished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The best thing Trump could do right now is totally disappear and leave this to the health professionals to deal with. Obviously that will never happen, but we can always dream.

In fact, it'd probably boost his re-election chances if he did a disappearing act for a few weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The best thing Trump could do right now is totally disappear and leave this to the health professionals to deal with. Obviously that will never happen, but we can always dream.

In fact, it'd probably boost his re-election chances if he did a disappearing act for a few weeks/months.

I would vote for him if he would just disappear...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Twat, gone off on the media again.
    A whole press conference on masks and gowns, arising because the national stockpile had been depleted and not replenished.

What's he said now? He's nothing only a raving lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Can they just get their message straight for once?

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1241399022222544896?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    What's he said now? He's nothing only a raving lunatic.

Ventilators, masks, vaccines, cures, medical ships etc are all on the way today.........., they will be all here within 18 month time frame, so hold tight :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You have to feel sorry for Dr. Fauci, the man comes across so well and obviously knows what he's doing but he has to put up the Trump administration and especially Trump himself and must be hitting his head of a table constantly with frustration

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement